Billie's Lover

Chapter 10

*Billie's POV*

I walked up the stairs, each step creaking under my weight.

"Clara?!" I called.

No response.

"Clara?!" I repeated.

Now panicking, I started to jog up the steps. They seemed to go on forever. I finally made it to the top and sprinted down the long hall. Panting, I slowly opened the door of the master bedroom. I found Clara on the floor, her body twisted and deformed, her throat slit. I ran over to her. I rested her head on my lap. I then watched the life slip from her body...

* * *

My eyes snapped open. I sat up. My heart was pounding so fast I could hardly breathe. I looked over at Clara. She was quietly snoring as she slept. I was shaking all over. I decided to grab some coffee from downstairs to calm myself.

I crawled back into bed and almost spilt the scolding hot liquid. I couldn't keep my hands still. I couldn't get that picture of Clara's mangled body out of my head. Her chest covered in blood...
I shivered as the thought crept back into my mind.

I tried to get back to sleep but every time I closed my eyes I saw that chilling image.

* * *

As time went by, I only got worse, and worse. The dreams became more vivid and with each sleepless night, the black bags under my eyes got darker, and darker. We hadn't had sex in weeks. I could barely look Clara, and had become very distant. She knew something was wrong.

"Billie, are you okay?" Clara asked me as we got into bed, the place I now dreaded most, "You seem a bit edgy lately."

"Yes, I'm fine," I replied bitterly, "I've just had a bit of trouble sleeping."

"Just remember that you can always talk to me," She said.

"I know! Just stop... I don't fucking need your help okay?!" I replied as I ran a hand through my hair.

"Okay..." She sighed.

* * *

*Clara's POV*

Weeks went by and I started to get extremely worried. I hadn't had a real conversation with Billie, let alone sex, since the beginning of January, and it was now the 23rd. He had lost at least 35 pounds and was looking horrible.
I finally decided to talk to him more seriously about this...

"Billie, can I talk to you for a sec?" I said cautiously.

I knew how fragile he was. He hid it well, but I knew. He always pushed people away, but I had to push back this time. Something was definitely wrong with him.

"What do you want?" He asked staring blankly at the wall.

"I want to know what's wrong," I said firmly, "You're really scaring me."

He didn't say anything. I searched his eyes for any sign of emotion.

I found fear...

"Billie," I said sitting down with him and grabbing his hand, "What's wrong?"

Once again, he said nothing.

"When was the last time you slept?" I asked, “Billie... Just let me help you. Stop trying to fix this alone. What can’t you tell me?”

"NOTHING!!!" He yelled, "LEAVE ME ALONE!!!"

"BILLIE?!" I shrieked, tears now running down my cheeks.

I turned his head to face mine and just stared at him.

"It's so fucked up..." He finally replied, "It's crazy... I'm crazy! I think I've lost my fucking mind."

"What is it?!" I asked, with a steady stream of tears still flowing down my face.

"I've been having the same nightmare for about a month now," He said quietly, "It's so horrible... I can't sleep."

"What h-happens?" I managed to choke out.

"Don't freak out..." He said.

"Billie, you can always talk to me!" I replied still crying.

"Okay..." He said.

He took a deep breath.

"I call your name and you don't say anything, so I then run up the stairs and find you on the bedroom floor with your throat slit. And recently... It's gotten worse... I look down and find that I have a blood smeared knife in my hand. And even though you're dead, I stab you repeatedly... Then I wake up... I've only had it 4 or 5 times because the others nights," He began to whisper, "I'm too scared to sleep..."

I hugged his thin, frail body.

I didn't know what else to do.

"What do you think it's about?" I asked, a little freaked, but not showing it.

"Well, when Adrienne was pregnant with Joey, I had weird, creepy dreams, and I was really nervous about being a dad. So, I think it might be about the wedding. But the dreams weren't this... Fucked..."

I finally stopped crying.

"Oh Billie," I replied with a chuckle, "You're nervous about the wedding?"

"Well, more the marriage. My first marriage already failed..." He said looking down.

"Billie, I've never loved anyone as much as I love you. I honestly don't think I could live without you, and I truly believe we were meant for each other." I replied.

He kissed me passionately for the first time in what seemed like forever.

Then BOTH of us went to sleep. He was much to tired for anything else...