Billie's Lover

Chapter 16

*Clara’s POV*

I woke up the next morning around noon. It was Saturday so I didn’t have class.
I walked down stairs to find Billie sitting at the table staring into space.

“Billie?” I said.

“Huh? Oh hey…” He said.

I ate breakfast/lunch as Billie watched T.V. I could tell something was on his mind.

After my brunch I was heading over to Munson’s at 3:00. I got ready and hung around for a bit. Before I left I sat down on the couch with Billie.

“Anything you wanna talk about?” I asked.

“Nah, I’m, uh… Fine.” He said.

“Aright be back after dinner,” I said and walked out the door.

When I got to Munson’s, she, Tre, and I chit chatted for a while then Tre headed out and we had ‘girl time. We just talked and talked and day. Several hours later, Tre got home and we all ate dinner.

“We should all get together some time,” I suggested, “Like, all of us…”

They agreed.

“We haven’t gotten together in a while,” I added.

After dinner I headed home.

“Hey hun!” I said walking through the door.

“Hey, can I talk to you for a sec?” Billie asked.

I guessed he was ready to talk to me about whatever had been bothering him.

I took off my jacket and sat down on the couch beside him.

“I’ve been trying to figure out how to tell you this all day,” He said, “So here it goes…”

“Last night I got a call from the doctor… She couldn’t tell you then but… We lost the baby…” He said holding my hands.

I just looked at him. I didn’t know what to say. Or do…

I looked down at the floor. Tears started to stream down my face. They seemed to burn my cheeks as they dribbled down. I had a huge lump in my throat that wouldn’t seem to shrink, no matter what I did. Billie hugged me and I buried me face in his chest as I grasped his shirt. I began to sob even harder now.

“Shhh… Clara you have to calm down…” Billie said trying to comfort me.

He wrapped his arms around me tighter and rubbed his hand up and down my back. He lay down on the couch and I went down with him. He kept saying ‘Shhh’ but I couldn’t stop crying. It hurt so much. Even though at first I wasn’t sure about being a mother, I had just begun to wrap my mind around the idea and then it was all shattered. Just like that…

After a while I finally settled down. I was crunched up in a ball against Billie’s chest. He then sang to me…

♪Stay right here
And speak to me
I want to feel you
I need to hear you
You are the light
That’s leading me
To the place
Where I find peace
Again…

You are the strength
That keeps me walking
You are the hope
That keeps me trusting
You are the light
To my soul
You are my purpose
You’re everything

And how can I lay here with you
And not be moved by you?
You tell me how could it be
Any better than this?

You calm the storms
And you give me life
You hold me in your hands
You won’t let me fall
You stole my heart
And you take my breath away
Would you take me there?
Take me deeper now

And how can I lay here with you
And not be moved by you
Would you tell me how could it be
Any better than this

’Cause you are all I want
You’re all I need
You’re everything, everything… ♪


I don’t know what it was but it gave me a feeling of bliss. Despite everything that had just happened, it made me look up at him, and smile…

We just lay there until we fell asleep.