1 in 100,000

1 ~Juliet~

"100.4" her mother mumbled to herself as she examined the thermometer that had just came out of Juliet's mouth. Juliet hated when her mother worried about stuff that wasn't serious. It weighed her down and made her look old, which was far from the truth. She was only thirty-four, and already had an eighteen-year-old daughter as of two days ago. "That's it. In taking you to the doctor." Her mom said as she stood up and started walking towards the door. Juliet groaned

"Mom that's not necessary. I've probably just got a cold. And I don't even feel sick." That last part was a lie. For the last week Juliet had felt awful. She could barely do anything without getting tired almost immediately, and she had a headache nonstop for the last four days. Her mother just shook her head. "Get dressed Juliet. We're leaving in thirty minutes." and with that her mother left her room.

Juliet knew arguing was pointless so she rolled out of bed and started searching through her gigantic closet for clothes. Yes, her closet was very big, as was the room it was in, also the house that the room was in. Her family wasn't exactly rich, but they were very far from poor.

She finally decided on a pair of blue jeans along with a gray hoodie she'd stole from her twin brother, Jason, and some old tennis shoes. One thing Juliet refused to do was show off how much money her family had. She didn't wear makeup either. Not that she needed it. Juliet had a flawless face framed by long golden, loose curls and gray/blue eyes that matched the stormy sky outside. She noticed the clouds rolling in, and grabbed her gray knit beanie hat.

Finally satisfied with her ratty outfit, she started out of her room to met her mom in the kitchen, but not before hitting her elbow on the door. She grimace and grabbed her numb elbow, but thought nothing of it. That happened most mornings.

Shaking her arm to take the pain away, she started walking toward the kitchen again where she found her twelve-year-old sister, Jamie, fully dressed and trying to spread Nutella in her toast. Jamie smiled at her sister and held out a piece of the chocolate covered toast. Juliet scrunched up her nose and shook her head. Even though she loved Nutella and hadn't ate dinner the night before, she wasn't hungry.

Her sister gave her a weird stare, but didn't say anything. Their mom walked in as Jamie took a huge bite out of the toast and made a very unnecessary moan of pleasure. Their mom gave her a sideways glance before grabbing her keys off the table. "Jamie, are you coming?" she asked and got an enthusiastic nod from her youngest daughter.

Rolling her eyes, but still smiling, Juliet followed her mother out to the car. She slide into the passengers seat beside her mother and in front of her sister, who reached up front and turned the radio to a fast paced rap song.

She gave her a weird look before pulling out her iPhone and sticking her headphones in. She had never really liked the new hip-hop/rap music, but preferred the rock music her brother had drilled into her head.

She shuffled her favorite playlist and closed her eyes to the soft melody. A Red song came through the tiny speakers. Red was probably her favorite christian band. They were the only ones that did rock besides Switchfoot and Fireflight. She didn't like to listen to too much vulgar music, so Juliet tried to listen to mostly christian, and the non-christian bands like 30 Seconds to Mars. Her music was softer than her brothers, though. He liked Avenged Sevenfold and Asking Alexandria. Not that she was against them, she just wished they wouldn't cuss as much, and that they were a little less hardcore. Sometimes the music hurt her head.

After about thirty minutes, she felt the car come to a stop. She opened her eyes slowly, and noticed that they had made it. She paused the song that was blasting through her earbuds and slowly wrapped them around her phone while looking at the tall white building. She'd always hated doctors offices. They were big and intimidating and, well needles weren't exactly fun. Very slowly, she got out of the car where her little sister was openly singing a Justin Bieber song.

"Come on, Jamie. Your killing me!" Juliet said to her sister, grabbing her ears like it was a physical pain to here the words of the pop star. Jamie giggled at her sister as they walked into the big white building in front of them, following their mother.

When they got to the waiting room, they sat in to of the chairs while their mother went up to the front desk to talk to the receptionist. There was a medium sized flat screen on the wall playing a The Veggie Tales, and the kids were ignoring it completely. Most were sitting in their moms laps. Some of the older ones were looking at their phones, trying not to be noticed or recognized. Juliet sat next to her sister as her stomach knotted up at the thought of being checked out by the doctor

Her mom came back with a stack of papers and a pen. She sat down on the other side of Jamie and started filling it out. Her mom looked tired, which she probably was. She'd been waking up every couple of hours to check on Juliet. "Juliet dear, your not taking any meds besides your ADHD ones are you?" her mom asked looking up from the papers and leaning forward a little so she could see her better. "No." Juliet said simply looking at her lap and trying to disappear.

Her mom rolled her eyes and went back to filling out the papers. Jamie looked over to her sister and patted her on the hand. Leave it to Jamie to try and comfort her older sister. Juliet smiled nervously at her sister before looking back down at her lap.

"Alright. That about does it." her mom said after a few minutes. She stood up and walked back up to the receptionist and handed the papers back over to her. The woman smiled kindly and exchanged some words with her mother that Juliet couldn't hear. Her mother turned back around and walked over to her girls.

"You're all set up." She said, smiling at her oldest daughter. Juliet gave her a weary look and looked down. She opened her mouth after a couple of minutes to tell her mom she was feeling better - a complete lie - but was cut off by one of the nurses.

"Juliet?" she asked, sticking her head out of the door that lead back to more little rooms. Juliet looked over at the sound of her name, and the nurse waved her to come back. With a shaky breath she stood up with her mother and they walked back.