Uncharted

011

Image

I changed into a pair of baggy black sweat pants that Cooper left at my place weeks ago and white tank top. I a grabbed a towel out of my closet and dried my hair fast before I threw it on my bedroom floor and made my way out toward the kitchen and living room.

Des was standing in the kitchen fixing tea in my favorite giant green mug. “I dunno what you put in your tea. So I’m leaving that up to you.” He said without even glancing at me.

“Thanks.” I said going for the cupboard I stashed the honey in.

I couldn’t help but feel awkward after what had just happened. I mean…it was Des. Des had a way of making me feel like I had to apologize for everything I did. He was intimidating to say the least.

“Where did you get those pants?” Des asked suddenly taking notice of the huge sweat pants that I was practically drowning in.

“Um, I think Cooper left them here when he slept on my couch a few weeks back. I don’t know exactly. But no one has come looking for them and they’re comfortable and warm so I wear them a lot.” I said to my tea while I stirred in a bit of honey.

“I think those are mine.” Des said squinting his eyes to get a better look at the pants while he leaned against the counter sipping tea from his own mug. “Cooper likes to take my clothes when he doesn’t feel like doing wash.”

“Oh.” I said, I could feel my face flushing red. I barely know Des and I had been wearing his pants for weeks. “I’ll go change…so you can have your pants back.”

“It’s fine. I don’t wear ‘em much anyway. Someone might as well get use out of them.” Des said smiling a little.

“Are you sure?”

“It’s fine, Ollie.” Des laughed and sipped some more of his tea.

“Thanks.” I smiled shyly and took my mug and set off toward the couch. I wasn’t sure if Des was going to stay or not. I wanted him to just stay and sit with me all night but I was sure he was tired. He just admitted that his day was just about as shitty as mine.

Des followed suit and took a seat on the opposite end of the couch than I was sitting on. I turned the TV on stared at whatever show was playing on the channel I was last watching. I had no idea what it was and accents on this show mixed with how fast they were talking made it impossible for me to understand a word.

I started to laugh. Des looked away from the TV and at me with a curious expression. I don’t why I found it so funny to not understand what was happening on TV but I did and I just kept laughing.
“What in the world are you laughing?” Des asked, the faintest trace of a smile on his lips.

“I have no idea.” I admitted through my giggles. I calmed myself down and continued to watch this show.

I looked out the windows on my balcony doors to see the sky starting to brighten up. I had no idea where time had gone. I felt like we had only been watching the TV for a little while. It had to be at least five in the morning but probably closer to six. As if on cue Des yawned loudly from the other side of the couch.

I finally glanced over at him to see Des had his knees folded under him, he was snuggled into his hoodie so that his chin had disappeared and only his eyes and the top of his head where visible in the hood he had pulled over his head. I assumed this meant that his apartment didn’t have a broken heating system. He looked like he was just about to nod off. I felt bad, Des worked almost every day as far as I knew and he still hadn’t gotten any sleep after working the day previous. I felt like shit after realizing that, I didn’t want him to feel obligated to stay with me just because my boyfriend broke up with me. I was a big girl. I didn’t need a baby sitter.

“Des.” I said softly as I tried not to startle him since he was nodding off.

“Hmm?” was the only I response I got from him, his eyes still shut.

“You don’t have to stay here if you don’t want to. You can go sleep in your own bed…it’s probably more comfortable than my couch.

Des inhaled loudly sitting up straight and rubbing his sleepy eyes. “Coop probably locked me out. I didn’t bring my keys with me when I jumped over. So if you don’t mind, I’ll just crash here for the night.”

“Yeah that’s fine.” I said.

“Sleep over.” Des said with a silly smile and stretched his body out. I was shocked but laughed a little. It was then that I learned that Des acted silly when he was tired. Des laid down on my couch, but he was so tall and my couch was so little that his legs were dangling over the edge.

“Why is it so fucking cold here? Are you a polar bear or something. Christ, will you turn the air off.” Des requested poking me in the side while he tried to make himself comfortable on the couch while I was still sitting on it.

“Oh. It’s broken. My air doesn’t shut of anymore…and no one has gotten around to fixing it yet. They said someone would be a round soon but that was about a month ago.”

“Do you have extra blankets? I’m going to freeze to death.” Des pouted while he squirmed around on my couch.

“You don’t fit on this couch at all, Des. You sleep in my bed and I’ll sleep out here. I actually fit on my couch and I don’t really mind the cold. I’m kind of used to it now.” I laughed a little about how pathetic that sounded.

“I’m not going to make you sleep on the couch.”

“Really, I’m offering to. It’s the least I can do after all you did for me tonight.” I said, awkwardly looking at the TV.

“Or how about we both sleep in your bed and no one sleeps on the couch.” Des suggested. I eyed him cautiously.

“Deal.” I agreed. I mean, I wasn’t going to let him sleep on a couch that was half his size. If he wasn’t going to let me sleep on the couch then this was the only other acceptable option. Plus, my bed was big enough for both of us.

“Sleep over!” Des cheered though a yawn.

“You can go on in to bed if you want. I think I’m going to stay out here for a while.”

As soon as I spoke I felt Des shifting his weight around until he had himself sitting up next to me. He was obviously far too tired to stay up watching shitty movies and television shows with me. He just sat next to me for a few minutes, not saying a word. I could feel the heat rolling off of his body and crashing against my ice cold skin. Finally Des stood up, without any warning I felt his lips pressed to the top of my head.

“G’night, love.” He said, sleepiness dripping off his words. I watched him stumble down the hallway a little.

“Night, Des.” I called after him. It felt so nice to have Des around. He probably had no idea how the simplest gestures of his kindness made me feel like I had just won a major award. I think I might have been seriously deprived of human contact at this point. I really just liked having someone around. Living alone was fun for a while but then it started to get lonely.
♠ ♠ ♠
You guys asked for another. So I ate my body weight in lasagna, and posted another. Enjoy.