Uncharted

024

Image

Christmas had flown by rather unsuccessfully. After my dad told me I was going nowhere in life and that there was no reason for me to be working in another country when I could be doing the same thing in America I kind of just hid out in my room for the remainder of my visit. I didn’t even get a chance to see my best friend, Taylor, since she was visiting her family in Maine. My Christmas ended up being just as shitty as I thought it would be.

I had all of my things packed up and ready to go. I was waiting on Maddie, she insisted on taking me to the airport. I told her numerous times I could call a cab but of course she wouldn’t let that happen. She went on a rant about how it was her duty as a big sister to take care of me. I’m glad she offered though since my trip back to Ireland would be much like my trip from Ireland.

I hated flying. Especially when I realized I would see Desmond once I got back. I poured quite a bit of rum into my bottle of Coke, hoping to God that Cooper would be making the trip to the airport alone. I was still mad at Des, as stupid as it may have been. I couldn’t help but feel like he put me into a nasty mood that I just couldn’t shake no matter how much I tried. Not that being with my family for an entire week really helped shake that mood either.

“You’re an alcoholic.” My dad said, suddenly appearing out of practically nowhere. “It’s five in the morning, Olivia.”

“Not an alcoholic. Pirate.” I corrected my father, having already consumed my fair share of rum.
“Olivia.” He said sternly.

“Jesus Christ, Dad!” I exclaimed. “I hate flying. I hate the holidays. I’m forever alone. Let me get drunk at five in the morning if I want to.”

“You’re a disaster.” He said distastefully and walked awake from me.

“Yeah, go back to bed. Why are you even awake?” I screamed after him. He didn’t respond just like I figured he wouldn’t.

While I waited for my sister, I passed time by calling Cooper. The phone rang three times before he answered. “I’m really busy.” He said and he sounded it.

“Are you still picking me up? Or…”

“Shit. That’s today.”

“Yeah. That’s today.”

“Fuck.” He cursed quietly; I could hear the sound usual sounds of the hospital in the background.

“It’s not a big deal. I can take a cab.”

“You’re not taking a cab.” Cooper insisted.

“Listen, I really don’t mind ringing in the new year in a hotel room with a bottle of wine.”

“No. You have to be at the party. All the guys are looking forward to seeing you! Plus, ringing in the new year alone sounds so depressing.”

“Well my life is spiraling downward into a black hole.” I ended with a mixture between a laugh and a whine. I’ll admit it sounded extremely pitiful.

“What? Have you been drinking?”

“Yes. Yes, I have.”

“Jesus Christ, what time is it even?”

“Five.”

“Impressive. I’ll figure this out though. You’re going to be at this party, I know that much. Have a safe trip back. I’ve gotta go.”

“Alright, have fun savin’ lives and shit.” I said without any enthusiasm. Luckily, my sister beeped as soon as the call was ended.

Without even saying goodbye to my parents I was out the door, so ready to go back to Ireland and get away from the craziness that was my family.

&&

I was climbing up the seven flights of stairs all the while wearing wedges that were probably eight pounds each. I was tired, exhausted. I was kicking myself in the ass for two reasons. One, I decided I would dress like a super cute after my mother verbally harassed me for looking like a homeless lady all the time I was home. I would not suggest dressing your best for a seven hour flight with a side of an hour drive and hike up seven flights of stairs dragging luggage in a less than sensible pair of shoes.

Two, I trusted Cooper of all people to pick me up. If it was up to me I would have just spent New Year’s Eve alone, in a hotel room, drinking wine, watching movies in sweat pants, and falling asleep before midnight. However, once again Cooper talked me out of my original plans. He was supposed to pick me up at the airport and drive back to our building while I slept. From there I was supposed to take a shower and dress up and be a Cooper’s date for the fancy New Year’s Eve party that he and Desmond threw every year. Supposedly. Of course Cooper got stuck at the hospital and I ended up having to take a cab.

I was finally at the landing one floor before my own when Cooper sent me a text message. ‘I’m home, stop by. Just walk in. I have a surprise for you! ;)’ I rolled my eyes and groaned, I was praying to God that Cooper wasn’t going to be naked when I walked in.

I built up some momentum before hurling myself toward that last bit of stairs. My bags were making clunking noises each time they hit a step. Finally when I reached the seventh floor I was on the verge of crying tears of joy. I started to speed walk down the hall, because the closer I got to the end the closer I was to home. Which meant the further away from my family.

I dropped all of my bags outside of my door. I dug through my purse until I finally found my keys. I kicked my door open and pushed all of my bags into my hall and closed the door. I then pushed opened Des and Cooper’s door, as Cooper had instructed me to do.

I wasn’t sure what to expect when I opened the door. I sure as fuck did not expect to see what I saw. Desmond and some random girl locked at the lips in a steamy kiss. They jumped away quickly and both stared at me as I stood in the doorway a disheveled but well-dressed mess. To be honest, Desmond was more glaring at me.

“Sorry!” I held my hands up in defense. “Cooper told me just walk in. I’m sorry.” I apologized and I could feel my face turning pink.

“It’s fine.” Des said even though both his face and his voice told me otherwise.

“You’re finally home!” Cooper screamed. I didn’t even have time to look at him before I was sandwiched between his practically naked body and the wall.

“Why are you naked?” I screamed in horror which was a feat consider Cooper was clinging to me so tightly I thought my spine was going to crack in half.

“I’m not!” Cooper defended releasing me stepping back to reveal he had a towel wrapped around his hips. He had obviously gotten out of the shower as soon as he heard I was here because he was drenched and consequently so was I.

I could hear whoever Desmond’s female friend was laughing at us. I didn’t know her. Desmond being the gentlemen he always was failed to introduce us. For some reason, I didn’t really want to get to know her. I figured there had to some huge personality flaw with her if she was with Des. It sounds mean but he’s pretty impossible to please.

If I had to give Desmond a type of girl to be interested in, it wouldn’t be this girl. Her blonde hair was just long enough that it barely touched her shoulders; she was around the same height as me which wasn’t very tall, she was dressed very sensibly and modestly, and she had the world’s biggest smile on her cute little face. Like I said, she was the opposite of what I imagined Desmond dragging home for the night.

I looked at Des, subtly nodding my head toward the girl next to him. It looked like her eyes were going to explode from excitement as she bounced anxiously on her heels. Des squinted his eyes and titled his head signaling he had no idea what I was getting at. His mouth formed into an “Oh” before he finally shifted his attention back to the girl.

“Ollie, this Moira. My girlfriend.” Des said smiling a little as he spoke, his intensely green eyes

staring not at Moira but directly back at me. And for some reason it felt like all of the air got sucked out of my lungs at the very moment he uttered the word girlfriend. I thought it was due to the shock of Desmond never mentioned having a girlfriend. Then I realized it was his lack of the word girlfriend before we engaged in drunken intercourse that left me gasping for air.

I was like the girl that Dylan had been fucking. I was just like her. I was a slag.

“Moira, this is Ollie. The neighbor.” Des said, a smirk on his face as he said it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading and supporting this story. And also, nipples. That is all.