Uncharted

008

Image

The Evil Dead. It was one of those movies you either loved or hated. Cooper, Des, and I all happened to love it. I was drowning in a pair of sweat pants and a hoodie that Cooper let me borrow because walking next door and changing into my own lazy day clothes would take too much time. Apparently.

Des and Cooper had one of those ‘L’ shaped couches. Cooper was at one end of the ‘L’ , Des was at the opposite end, and I had myself tucked into the bend. Although Cooper’s clothes were massive on me being as he was practically a giant, they were warm and comforting. I pulled my knees to my chest and snuggled into his hoodie even further right as the movie started.

It was an extremely stormy day, it was only noon and the skies were so dark that it looked like night time. We had all the lights off and for some reason the air conditioning was on full blast. Ten minutes into the movie, I noticed that Des was drinking beer. I ignored it. Then he went and got another and another after that, and another one after that.

“Des.” Cooper said in a warning tone.

“What?” Des asked, like he was daring Cooper to say something.

“Don’t do this.” Cooper said quietly. I pretended to be too interested in the movie to notice their hostile exchange. There was noticeable tension and I really didn’t want to get involved in whatever was going on.

“Do what?” Des asked innocently. “Oh this?” Des feigned realization as he cracked the top off another bottle and began to down it.

Cooper sighed tiredly, rubbing his fingers across his temples, trying to soothe the headache that Des was obviously giving him. “Do you really want to do this in front of Ollie?”

Des burped in response.

“I think I’m going to head out.” I said, beginning to get uncomfortable being in the middle of their argument, literally, I was sitting between them.

“No!” they both said in unison.

“Don’t leave just because Des is being a cunt.”

I settled back into the couch, not knowing what to do in this situation. I didn’t know if I should stay or if I should go, regardless of them both telling me to stay put. They were making me extremely uncomfortable. I had no idea what was going on. I had no idea if this was normal for them or if this was a rare occurrence.

“Fuck. You.” Des said slowly, letting venom drip off each word, leaning forward toward Cooper.

“I’m going.” I rushed my words, and I jumped up from the couch.

“Sit down!” Des yelled angrily pointing to the seat I had just vacated.

“Don’t talk to her like that, Des! She probably should leave if you’re going to continue to act like this because we both know how this is going to end. Do you really want her to see that?” Cooper was getting so mad that his face was turning red with anger and practically screaming at Des. I shrunk back into the couch because I absolutely hate it when people yell. Not to mention I had a raging headache from the previous night’s festivities.

“You should leave.” Des growled looking me straight in the eye with so much hatred that I wanted to cry.

Soundlessly, I got up from the couch and grabbed my things from the table. I ignored Cooper telling me to wait. I bolted for the door, I didn’t want to be there any longer than I had to after Des gave me that look. I still didn’t know what I had done to piss him off so badly. I wasn’t about to find out either.

“Ollie, wait.” Cooper’s hand caught my wrist when I made it into the hallway. Cooper shut the door behind him. “I’m really sorry about that. He just…he’s upset and this is how handles it…badly.”

“It’s okay.” I offered weakly.

“No, it’s not okay. I don’t know what to do anymore.” Cooper confessed and I could see the tears beginning to form in the corners of his eyes but he blinked them away. “I’m sorry I’m about to ask you this but…I have to go to the hospital tonight…could you come over and check on him at some point tonight. I’m…just really afraid he’ll pass out and end up choking to death on his own vomit.”

“Yeah, I can do that.” I said quietly, not really know what else to say.

“Thank you so much.” Cooper said handing me a key which I assumed was to his apartment.

“It’s no problem.” I gave Cooper my best smile because he looked like he was about to burst into tears at any second.

“Thank you.” Cooper said again, pulling me into a tight hug. I held onto him longer than I probably should have just because he seemed so broken up about how Des was handling himself. I could see how worn down Cooper was. It had to be exhausting watching your best friend destroy themselves and not being able to do a damn thing about it.

&&

I was sitting in my office at my computer. I was editing the last photo that I needed to have done for Monday morning. I felt good about myself, like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I would have all Sunday to lounge around or get some chores done. In reality, I knew I wouldn’t actually be getting any chores done.

Then I heard it. It was the loud and distinguishable sound of glass smashing. I froze, remembering I was supposed to check on Des. I threw myself out of my chair and ran toward the door. Another smash echoed through the hallway as I fumbled with the key, trying to get the door unlocked as fast as possible.

Des was standing in the kitchen. He was wasted, plastered, shit-faced. No matter how you spun it, he was so drunk that I was amazed he was still conscious. His hair was a disheveled mess once again and his sweat pants were hanging off his ass. I had no idea where his shirt was but it definitely wasn’t on his body. He didn’t even notice me come in and send another beer bottle hurling through the air, barely missing my head. It hit the wall and shattered, sending bits of glass everywhere as well as a shower of beer.

“Des! What are you doing?” I screamed in horror.

He stopped; he stared at me for what had to be a minute and didn’t say a word. Neither did I, I didn’t want him to snap and throw a bottle at my head. He dropped onto his knees and slammed his fists against the floor.

“Do you think I want to be this way?” He screamed angrily. “I fucking hate this!” he said with something was a mix between a scream and a cry.

I stood there, not knowing what to do. What are supposed to do when a man you barely even know his having an emotional breakdown right in front of you. I tiptoed around the broken glasses, approaching him with as much caution as possible. I put a hand on his shoulder which made him jump a little, but I kept my hand there and he eventually relaxed.

“Des, it’s alright. We’ll figure something out, okay?” I said hopelessly, just trying to get him to pick himself up off the floor.

“Okay.” He agreed quietly, picking himself up off the floor.

“Go lay down, sweetie.” I said, trying my best to be as caring as possible because I knew he was heartbroken and he hated his life. As much as Des pissed me off, I still felt bad for him and I wanted to kill the girl who broke him.

Des stumbled off toward his bedroom and I followed close behind, making sure he made it to his room. I wasn’t sure how much longer he’d be able to stand before he passed out. Luckily, he made it to his bed. He laid down rolling onto his side, looking me dead in the eyes.

“I’m sorry.” He said quietly right before his eyes fluttered shut.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for subscribing, commenting, and all that jazz. Yes. That was a Chicago reference. Seriously though, thank you. You're the best.

In other news, it's five o'clock in the morning. I haven't slept yet. I was up until three o'clock this morning playing soccer and learning some fancy new tricks. I stayed up even later just to write this for you. So now you know one of Desmond's secrets.

I'm knackered. I'm finally going to sleep now. I love you, good morning and goodnight.