Status: trying my best to update fast xoxo

Potent Powerplay

Fresh Start

I heard a slight stir in the cabin as the stewardesses rushed to wake the sleeping passengers. I sat up from my slouched position and stretched out my arms while looking around. I saw a few people doing the same. We had all been sleeping, well most of us at least, because it took the stewardesses a while to wake everyone up. I checked my phone, it read 7:02am. An hour later than expected. I suppose the delays back at Pearson didn't help much. I looked out the window, and I saw the sun peaking up over the horizon. It was a beautiful sight, and I couldn't wait to experience it on the grounds of this beautiful city.

“This is your captain speaking.” I heard come through the speakers of the plane. “We will be arriving at Chicago's O'Hare in 10 minutes, an hour behind schedule. I'd like to apologize once again on behalf of the crew at Air Canada for the delays of the flight. Enjoy the rest of your flight.” Ugh. There's nothing that bothered me more than unpunctuality. I know it's not the air line's fault, but don't tell me I'll be in Chicago at 6 and not get there until 7.

After touchdown and a quick bite to eat, I called a taxi to take me over to my new apartment. I had visited Chicago a couple weeks ago to check out and finish all the papers to rent the apartment. I liked it a lot; it was small and cozy, and right by a set of train tracks. The sound of a train passing by at night time helped coo me to sleep.

My uncle worked for a moving company, so he moved all my belongings from Toronto to Chicago for free, so when I arrived at my place, there were boxes everywhere. I left my suitcases on the living room floor and went into my room. My uncle had put my bed together and left it in my room for me, which I was grateful for because I was exhausted. I hadn't slept much the night before my flight, because I was too nervous and scared. I left a mental note to call my uncle and thank him when I woke up as I flopped down on my bed. As soon as my head hit the pillow I was out.

I woke up after a few hours to the sound of my phone buzzing on the floor. I must have forgotten to take it out of my sweater pocket before I went to sleep. I reached down and grabbed it, placing it to my ear.

“Hello?” I asked, still half asleep.

“Oh thank heavens, Katlina, you're safe.” I heard my mother sigh on the other end.

“I'm sorry I didn't call you when I landed, mother, but I was exhausted.” I said, letting out a slight yawn. “What time is it, mom?”

“It's quarter to three here... so that means... how many hours behind are you, dear?” She asked me.

“I'm only an hour behind, mom. It'd be quarter to two then.” I replied, yawning again. I got out of bed and headed for the kitchen. I opened the fridge only to be hit with the realization that I haven't gone grocery shopping yet.

“Ah yes dear. It will take me a bit to remember. You know how my mind is starting to go.”

“I do, mother.” I yawned once again. “Jeesh mom, why'd you have to wake me so early?” I questioned her.

“Good heavens Katlina Marie! You're wasting the day away!” She exclaimed. I could just imagine her throwing her arms up in exasperation. My mother's the dramatic type, always blowing things out of proportion and such. I think that's why I love her so much, she makes everything more fun.

“Ok mom, I'm going to go explore and get something to eat. I'll call you before I go to bed, I love you.” I said, heading back to my bedroom to get dressed.

“I love you, too, my Katty. Be safe, dear. Bye bye now.” She responded.

“Bye bye mom.” I said as I heard the receiver on the other end click. I placed my phone down on the dresser and started to rummage through my suitcases to find something to wear today. I chose out a pair of shorts, and a loose t-shirt that used to be my father's. I went and did my business in the bathroom and changed. When I was finished, I was really in the mood for Subway. I remembered seeing one on the way home from the airport just up the street. I walked into the living room, grabbed my keys, and headed out the door.

♠ ♠ ♠

The Subway was farther than I thought - about a 10 minute walk from my place. By the time I arrived, I had worked up an appetite. I bought myself a sub and sat down at a booth to the side of the restaurant. I quickly ate, at sat there for a bit, just taking it all in. I was finally free; finally starting my new life. I loved it here already, even though I'd been here for not even a day, I still loved it. Don't get me wrong – I love Toronto, but I needed a fresh start, to get away from my life there.

After sitting there doing nothing or a while, I decided to buy a couple cookies, I was still a bit hungry after all. There was a couple people in line already, so I had to wait. I was next in line when I heard the door behind me open, and two guys who looked about my age walked in. They were a bit loud, and seemed to be making jokes about each other. I ordered my cookies and sat back down in the booth I was sitting at earlier. I watched the two standing in line. There was a tall one, with dark brown hair, and a shorter one, with blond hair. I looked them over, they looked fit, like some sort of athlete. They were cute, too, which was a bonus. I guess the blond noticed me looking at them, because he looked over at me. I quickly turned away, but it was too late. He came over and leaned against the table.

“Hey, I couldn't help noticing you lookin'.” He said, grinning.

“You caught me.” I sighed, standing up.

“So, did you like what you saw?” He asked me.

“Well...” I started before I was cute off.

“Oh come on, Pat! I told you no hitting on random women today!” The brunette said, walking over to where we were standing.

“Hey! I was not hitting on her, she was looking at us.” The blond said, giving the brunette a dirty look.

“I apologize for anything he's said,” the brunette said, turning to me. “I'm Jonathan, and this is Patrick.” He said, sticking his hand out for me to shake. I shook it, as well as Pat's, which he stuck out at me.

“I'm Katlina.” I said, smiling. “It was nice meeting you two.”

“What are you doing after this?” Pat asked, smiling at me.

“Uh well, I was about to do some grocery shopping because I just moved in. I just don't know where a grocery store is.” I replied. I hadn't really thought that aspect of moving through.

“That's perfect! Jon and I were just heading out to pick up a few things!” Pat said, rather cheerfully.

“We were?” Jon asked, confused.

“Yes, we were.” Pat said, elbowing Jon in the ribs. “We could take you to the store... Only if you want.” He said, focusing his attention back to me.

“Yea, sure. I'd like that.” I smiled at him.

“Alright, let's go then!” He said, opening the door for me.

We walked and talked the whole half hour walk to the grocery store. I got to know Pat and Jon a bit better. They were best friends, and played hockey together. I didn't think much about it because I couldn't stop laughing at the things they'd say. They always somehow managed to focus the topic on me. I didn't have much to tell though; I moved from Toronto to Chicago to start anew, I just moved in, and I didn't have a job yet. I didn't want to talk about me though, I wanted to learn more about them. Mainly Patrick, he was interesting.

♠ ♠ ♠

After I finished picking up all the food I needed, Patrick decided it would be a good idea for he and Jon to walk me home. I wasn't sure at first, at tried to get out of it, but he insisted. I mean, you can't just go around with guys you just met and not have any worries. I was thankful though, because I didn't really remember the way back to my apartment from the grocery store. Once we passed the Subway, I knew how to get back, thank god. When we neared my building, I felt a sigh of relief. I was tired and hungry and I just wanted to go in and unpack. On the other hand, I didn't want to stop being with Pat and Jon. I was enjoying myself; something I haven't been able to do in a long time.

“Well, this is it.” I said, stopping in front of the building.

“Ok well, we can help you bring your bags in?” Pat asked, looking hopeful.

“No no, it's ok. I think I can handle it from here.” I smiled.

“Oh good.” Jon said, sighing. I guess Pat had handed the bags off to him.

“Thank you so much for helping me out, guys,” I said, taking the bags from Jon. “I had a great time.”

“No problem... Hey, can I see your phone?” Pat asked.

“Uh yea, sure.” I answered, handing it to him. He typed in something and handed it back to me.

“I'll text you.” He smiled, handing my phone back to me.

“Ok.” I responded, returning the smile.

“Well, I'll see you.” He said, starting to walk away. “Bye!” Pat and Jon said in unison, while waving.

“See you!” I waved back as I opened the door to go inside. I walked in and pressed the button for the elevator. I was just about to walk in when I heard a voice behind me shouting.

“Hold the door!” I turned and saw this girl rushing towards me. I held the door as she entered the elevator. I looked at her and she was panting. “Thank you,” she said, pressing a floor button. “What floor?”

“Three.” I answered.

“Oh goodie, me too!” She said, rather cheerfully. “I haven't seen you around before.” She gave me a confused look.

“Yea, I just moved in.” I smiled at her.

“Oh! 34B?” She asked, her eyes widening.

“Yea, how did you know?”

“I live in 34A!” She exclaimed as the elevator reached out floor. “I'm Mikayla.”

“I'm Katlina.” I said, as we walked down the hallway to our apartments.

“Ok, Kat – is it ok if I call you that?” I nodded. “Ok well if you need any help or anything, just knock and I'll be happy to help you.” Mikayla said, as we stood in front of our apartments.

“Thank you, Mikayla. I will do so if I need any help.” I replied, unlocking my door.

“Alright, I'll see you around!”

“See you!” I said as I went inside. I couldn't believe it – my first day here and I've already met three people. It was a start, but now I needed to focus on more important things: like unpacking all my stuff and getting a job.

While I was unpacking, I was thinking about Patrick. He was nice, funny, and cute. He was a lot different than any of the guy I knew back in Toronto. He seemed to... care. I'm not sure if he actually did, or I just wanted to believe he did, but I let my self believe so. I had really enjoyed talking with him, and I wanted to talk to him again. That's when I heard my phone buzzing on the coffee table beside me.

I picked it up and opened the message I had received. It was from Patrick.

“Hey, it's Pat. I really enjoyed talking to you and I wanted to know if you'd like to hang out tomorrow? Have lunch or something?”

I smiled to myself and replied, "Sure, I'd like that."
♠ ♠ ♠
hi ok this is my first actual story. i'm sorry if it's a bit rough or anything but yea.

I also write one-shots so if you'd like check them out, too.

ok thank you.