Tongue-Tied

I

He could remember the alcohol and the streamers. The way the light shone through the haze of smoke.

He remembered her purple blouse, her green eyes, and the way her teeth flashed when he walked into the room. He remembered the way his feet stumbled and how he thought she was the prettiest girl in all of Sheffield. The way that she grabbed his hand and pulled him down to sit with her. He remembered the music and the collective body heat.

He remembered her eyes glittering in the multi-coloured lights, swallowing him whole.
He remembered how she told him she loved him, with no trace of uncertainty.

So Oli guessed he shouldn't be very surprised that he dreamt of her, when he marched down the stairs in his boxers and froze in place at the sight of her sitting at the kitchen table with his mother. They all stopped, staring wide-eyed at each other, waiting for something to happen. He cleared his throat awkwardly.

"I'll go put some trousers on," He mumbled, and quickly headed back upstairs to slip into jeans.

Oli sighed, squeezing his eyes shut and pressing his back to his bedroom door. Of all the things to wake up to on a Saturday morning, he decided this was one of the most nerve-wracking. Seeing a character from your past as though brought back from the grave.

He could hear his mother talking to her in a soothing voice as he rounded the corner of the stairs, and there she sat, hair tied back and face devoid of makeup, clad in a baggy black sweater and blue jeans.

"Oliver, come sit down."

He obliged, chewing on his lip ring nervously.

"Oli," His mother began, twisting her knotted hands together. "Finley has nowhere to live right now." Oli examined the wood grain on the table. "And her mother said that if anythin' were to happen to her, I would be her legal guardian. So she's goin' to be staying here, with us."

Oli ran a hand through his hair, not exactly happy with this new information. His throat clenched.

"Fer how long?"

She hesitated. "A while."

The vague answer didn't please him at all, and he was grateful for Fin's departure into the guest bedroom as his mother suggested she settle herself in. Oli ran a hand over the stubble on his cheeks, sighing deeply.

"Mum, what the hell?"

"Oli, yeh know how close Diane and I were. Finley and yeh used to be close-"

"She prefers Fin," He interjected quietly, his eyes closed, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Well see I wouldn't really know anymore. She's stopped talking."

Oli opened his eyes. "What?"

"She hasn't said a word since the incident," His mother's lips pursed into a fine line. "She won't talk to anyone."

The news came as a shock to Oli. He thought back to the girl he knew a year ago, and wondered at how drastically someone's personality could change.

"I want yeh to help her out."

"What d'you mean, help her out? She doesn't need a guide, mum. She needs a damn therapist."

"Oliver Sykes!"

He begrudgingly mumbled an apology, and their conversation was cut short as Tom and Fin came down the stairs, Tom chattering away to her animatedly, giving Fin a smile. Oli's mother got up, heading in towards the kitchen.

"I was gonna go to Matt's today," Oli called, ignoring Tom.

"Then take Fin with yeh."

Oli sighed, slipping his shoes on and heading for the door. He motioned for Fin to follow.

"Yeh comin' with or what?"

She nodded, avoiding his gaze and waving a small goodbye to Tom before following him out the door. Oli wrapped his sweatshirt tighter around him as he unlocked his car doors, getting inside the Toyota. He waited for the heat to come on, sitting back in the seat.

It was awkward, being in a car with someone who he once knew so well, and now didn't even talk. He didn't even know what she was probably thinking about. Oli lit up a cigarette, trying hard not to look at Fin.

"I don't know why yeh got me all mixed up in this. Tom is just as capable of lookin' after yeh as I am, and he'd be chuffed doin' it." He glanced over at Fin. She was busy looking out the windows. "I don't even know why I'm talkin' to yeh. Yer not gonna talk back to me. Are yeh?"

Fin glanced back at him and shrugged her shoulders, causing Oli to roll his eyes.

"Have they found yer dad yet?" He asked in a softer tone. Fin didn't turn this time, simply shaking her head. "Do yeh think he's gonna come back?"

Fin turned and smacked Oli's arm, causing him to recoil.

"Alrigh'! Sorry. I won't bug yeh anymore."

Image


"Aye, yeh didn't tell me you were bringin' company!"

Matt Nicholls smiled wanly at the sight of Fin hovering behind Oli, holding open the door for the both of them.

"Yeah, it surprised me too."

"It's good to see yeh again, lass." Fin smiled hesitantly and followed Oli over to the couches. Matt's smile faltered. "Cat got yer tongue?"

Oli sighed, resting his feet atop the coffee tables. "She doesn't talk anymore."

Fin motioned that she needed to use the bathroom, and after Matt directed her to the proper door the room became eerily quiet. Matt laced his fingers together, resting his elbows on his knees. Oli sat across from him, flicking his fingers and bouncing his foot.

"She's hangin' 'round with yeh?"

Oli rolled his eyes, letting out a deep sigh. It was becoming a bad habit. "She's livin' with us now apparently. Me mum's taken her in."

"It's been a while since she's been 'round," Matt observed his friend with wide eyes. "Does it really feel any different?"

"What d'yeh think?" Oli snapped, glaring daggers. "She doesn't fuckin' talk. She's reserved now. How the hell do I look after someone who thinks it's a great idea not to say a damn word?"

Matt opened his mouth to reply, but closed it when Fin re-entered the room, curling up in one of the armchairs. He scratched the back of his neck, holding up the PS3 controller.

"How 'bout some Call o' Duty?"
♠ ♠ ♠
I had to. Even with an Oli story that I love to death already in full swing, not to mention two other fics I need to update, I just had to.
I've seen this idea played around with a bit on here, and I thought I'd give it a try.
The chapters alternate between Oli and Fin every other time.
Don't worry, you find out more and things get much better later.
xo