Sequel: The Freeing Blood
Status: This book is finished and has a sequel called The Freeing Blood. If the sequel hasn't been posted, it will be soon. As always, please comment! :)

Shadow Kiss

Chapter 5

Chapter 5

******Zak’s P.O.V.******

I left Aerolynn’s room as quickly as possible without looking as if I was running out. After I closed the door a little bit behind me, I leaned up against the wall outside her room.
I rubbed a hand down my face, groaning softly to myself. I can’t believe I almost kissed her. When I had seen her staring up at me with those big brown eyes, I could feel myself being drawn in by her. She had this magnetic pull that made me want to stay by her side, but knowing that, it angered me and made me lash out at her without meaning to. Mostly because of what that woman said. I didn’t want to have to rely on a woman to save me. I didn’t need saved to begin with.
But as I stared into her eyes…I saw nothing else. And then when her eyes fluttered closed and her long, dark lashes brushed her cheek…All I wanted was to mold those blush pink lips with mine. By the time I realized what I was doing, I quickly made up the excuse that she had a lash on her cheek, but the entire time my inside was screaming at me to take the opportunity and kiss her.
I sighed and shook my head to clear my thoughts. I pushed myself away from the wall and headed back for the living room where Nick and Aaron were busy playing some racing game on Aerolynn’s X-Box 360. I sank down into the seat next to Nick.
“Problems, dude?” Nick asked. His eyes never left the screen as he drifted around a corner successfully cutting Aaron off.
“Just what that woman said…it’s freaking me out, man,” I confessed.
“Don’t let it get to you, bro,” Aaron replied as he frantically shook his controller thinking it would help him pass Nick.
“I know,” I sighed. “I know.”
“So, what do you think about Aero, man? Think she’ll survive the night?” Nick asked glancing over at me real quick.
I shrugged. “She seems tough, but then again she may be putting on an act just to impress us. And if that’s the case, I don’t want anything to do with her. I don’t like people who investigate with us just because they want their fifteen minutes of fame,” I scoffed.
****************************************************************************************
~~~~~~Aerolynn’s P.O.V.~~~~~~

I stood against the wall of the hallway in complete shock over what I had just heard. Is that what he honestly thought of me? That I had only called in to investigate with them for my fifteen minutes of fame? My heart sank hearing he thought that way after what had just almost happened in my bedroom. That electric moment we had shared. I can’t believe I allowed myself to be fooled again.
Pissed off, I stormed into the living room and shut off the television.
“HEY!” Nick and Aaron cried out in dismay.
“Sorry, gentleman, but it’s time to go,” I curtly replied. I clutched the handle of my suitcase tighter in my hand as I did my best to not glare daggers over at Zak. “Didn’t you guys say you were hungry?”
Aaron shot up out of the chair. “Oh yeah! Dude, now that you mention it, I’m—”
“Starving, I know,” I chuckled. Aaron blushed slightly; he rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassment.
“Yeah,” he mumbled.
“Well, let’s head over to the motel and order in some pizza. I know of a really great pizza place that my friend owns,” I smiled still refusing to look over at Zak.
Nick stretched his arms high above his head. He sighed in relief after I heard the subtle crack of his back.
“Sounds good to me!”
As the men made their way out the door, I took a chance and glanced over at Zak. His back was to me so he wasn’t able to see the disappointment in my eyes as I looked up at him.
I quickly looked away as he turned back to glance at me.
“Ladies first,” he offered holding open the door.
“Then in that case you should go first, Princess,” I teased. He winced slightly at my tone of voice. Even I could hear the malice underlying my teasing tone.
Not saying a word, he walked through the doorway and disappeared down the stairs.
Sadness immediately consumed my body. I hadn’t meant to sound so harsh, but how else was I supposed to feel after he had said something like that behind my back?
I shook my head to clear my thoughts of him. I closed and locked the door behind me before following the men down the stairs. Zak could act however he wanted because I was about to see my best friend.
God, I hope it makes him jealous