This Love Shouldn't Be Legal

The Date Part 2

Melissas POV:

The only people who knew this story were my parents and Beth. Most of my family knew, but I never see them. Now I was about to tell Mikey.

"Well, when my parents got married, everything seemed to be fine. But then my grandpa, my mom's dad, died. She was really close to him, so the death hit her hard. She started drinking. A lot. When she found out she was pregnant with me, she promised dad she would stop. That meant she would stop drinking in front of him. I was born with the small lisp. The doctors say I must have been really strong because most babies don't become lucky like me."

"So is your mom clean now?"

"She died when I was 3. Dad married Nancy when I was 5 or 6 and we moved here. Apparently across from you."

"But you call Nancy "mom" all the time. Don't you?"

"Far back as I can remember, that's who she is. Nancy isn't some wicked stepmother. In fact, she's better than my real mom. From what I've been told. She is the sweetest, kindest, most gentle person in the world. Take all the stepmom sterotypes and flip them around. Then you have Nancy, or my mom." It felt so good to tell him. Let him in on my complicated life.

"Wow Mel. Thats.....a lot."

"I know it takes a while to sink in, but if you meet dad and Nancy, it all kind of clicks. We are a big happy family."

"Then I wanna go meet them." What? Was he serious. That's just crazy.

"Mikey, isn't it a little early?" I thought he wanted to take this slow.

"No way. Let's go."

"Where exactly do you two think you're going?" Crap. Cops.

"I haven't seen her parents in forever, officer. We used to live across from each other and I would babysit her all the time."

"That's fine. But this better not be a date or you sir, are in big trouble. To the slammer." He looked at our faces. "I'm kidding. You look like good kids. Gotta trust a guy who used to babysit, then wears chocolate double mint ice cream on his face." The cop walked away laughing.

"Well that was interesting." I am so scared right now.

"Mel, nothing is gonna happen. We can stay under radar."

"For 11 months, and 3 weeks?"

"Yes. Now let's go meet your parents. You can meet mine after our next date." Our next date?

"When will that be?"

"I don't know. We'll see what your dad thinks of me." He hurried back to my place.

"Mom, dad? I'm home from my date and he wants to meet you." They ran out of the kitchen.

"Hello Michael. I'm Nancy and this her father Bob."

"Nice to meet you, Mr and Mrs. Mailor."

"Please call us Nancy and Bob, Michael."

"If you don't mind, would you call me Mikey?"

"I don't mind at all." They were getting along great.

"If you are going to date my daughter, I have one question for you."

"Anything sir. I will answer it honestly."

"Do you love her?" The one question that almost ruined my last boyfriend. If Mikey says yes, dad will flip and say age is too much. If Mikey says no, dad will wonder why we had a date in the first place.

"Not yet, sir. I really like your daughter. I would say I love her, but we've only had one date. I don't want to rush this and end up hurting her."

"Son, that is the perfect answer. You can date my daughter anytime, Mikey." I started beaming so much I think the sun became jealous.

"Mikey, this is amazing!"

"It sure is M&M. Sir, if you don't mind, I'ld like to take your daughter out next Friday."

"If you listen to Nancy and stop calling me sir."

"Thank you so much, Bob." He kissed me and left.

"You really like Mikey, don't you?" Nancy was looking at me.

"Ya know what, I do. More than I ever imagined. He's just so....indescribable."

"Don't let him hurt you."

"I won't dad. I promise." I went upstairs to call Beth.

"How was the date?"

"Amazing." I told her all about it. The ice cream, the parent meeting, even the cop scare.

"Girl, you two are crazy."

"What if I said Mikey hinted that Cameron might like you?" She screamed really loud and was over before I got my hearing back.

"Did he really?"

"I'm not telling."

"Oh I hate you sometimes." We talked about the boys and at 11, mom told Beth to leave or get her stuff and stay over. No suprise which one she chose.

Mikeys POV:

"Dude that girl is amazing. Her parents are super cool too."

"Uhm, did she say anything about her friend? I think her name was Beth."

"Yeah she talked about Beth."

"And? Dude, Mikey what did she say?" I loved playing with innocent little Cameron.

"Mikey, don't torure the boy."

"She didn't say much about Beth. I'll ask her on our second date."

"You already have another date planned?"

"Next Friday. Hope the cops don't show up this time though." I was joking, but Zach took it seriously.

"The cops? You have to be more careful with her. Even if she is 17, it's still illegal."

"Zach, we weren't doin anything. We got out of it just fine." I told them about it and both of them about killed me for it. Guess I should "be more careful" next time.

"I really like Mel and I would do nothing to hurt her or me."

*****************************************************************