This Love Shouldn't Be Legal

The Trial

Michael's POV:

"Are you Michael Allen Martinez?"

"Yup." He gave me papers. That freak, Max, was really suing me. I drove over to Mel's.

"Just got the papers. Are we countersuing with rape or a different suit completely?"

"Counter sue, I guess." Her heart wasn't in it.

"Mel?"

"I still can't believe he did this to me." My poor baby. She asked me not to call her baby gurl anymore and I'm guessing I know why.

"I know M&M. I'm so sorry. I wish I had gotten there sooner and beaten his drunk sorry as...."

"Mikey, stop." She got up and walked away. I don't know where she is heading.

"Mel? What's wrong? Please talk to me."

"I was raped, Michael! By someone that I thought once cared about me. He stole innocence from me that I can never get back. I was used and violated. I feel like I deserve what happened, but I know I don't, so that makes me feel worse. Therapy didn't do a damn thing! Happy now?" Wow. I didn't know thats how she felt.

"Yes, well not that you feel that way, but that you told me."

"I'm sorry Mikey. I shouldn't have."

"No, Mel. You should have. I'm glad you did. I can help you know."

"Mikey, the only way you can help me is by being there for me. This is something I will have to deal with on my own. Nothing can help me." I just want to take her pain away and I can't. She's hurting on a level most don't understand. A level I don't even understand.

"Okay, Mel." I will join her little game of being alright with everything to make her parents happy.

*Day of the trial*

There he was. That jerk. Over the past two months, Melissa told me a lot about Max. I guess he was a good guy until he snapped and cheated on her.

"Melissa Ann Mailor to the stand please." We had our story all lined up.

"I promise." She just swore to tell only the truth.

"You were raped by this man?"

"Yes."

"You tried to fight him?"

"I tried to, but I was so scared. And he was crushing me. I couldn't do anything. He was drunk and stronger than me." She was so close to tears.

"I know this is hard for you. Please try to stay calm. Where does Mr. Martinez come in?" Stay calm? They can't expect her to be calm.

"He was walking by and heard my scream. The one before my mouth was clamped shut."

"You don't know Mr. Martinez?"

"Well sort of." What was she doing? We agreed I was a random person walking by.

"What do you mean, sort of?"

"He's the drummer of my favorite band, Allstar Weekend. I know what any fan knows about him. But he doesn't know me."

"So you two aren't dating?"

"No! I mean, he seems nice, but we aren't." They asked her a few more questions.

"Michael Allen Martinez to the stands please."

"I promise." Now it was my turn to tell the truth. Or at least, what they would know to be the truth.

"Why did you punch this boy?"

"He was raping an innocent girl!"

"Mr. Martinez. Do not yell."

"Sorry."

"So you don't know Ms. Mailor?"

"No sir." This lawyer is a total creep, too.

"Now, again, why did you punch Mr. Well?"

"She couldn't do anything. I was defending her. It was a total, complete self defense act. Well, for her."

"Why not just call the cops?"

"That would have taken longer and he may have disappeared by then. I couldn't risk her being in more pain. He would definately be caught this way."

"Alright, if there is nothing else, the jury will make their decisions." The judge cut in. Finally. It felt like I was being toruted for hours. It must have been terrible for Mel. Re-living all this. 20 minutes later the jury came back.

"We have our decisions." Well this can't be good. That was quick.

******************************************************************