All Grown Up

Too Little, Too Late

Breathe in the future. Breathe out the past.

“Sia, how come you agreed to come?" Lilly whined. “I don't want to hang out with guys on my vacation. I'm sick of guys."

I rolled my eyes as we walked down the road. We decided to walk since it was such a nice night, instead of driving and wasting gas. “I was just trying to be nice Lilly. Keep your sarcastic comments to yourself please," I stated. 

She wasn't in a good mood. As soon as she arrived she told me all about her day. Her hair wouldn't cooperate, she couldn't find her car keys, her radio was stuck on the country station, and she ran into a guy when she was leaving our flat who was a total prick. So now she didn't want to see anyone on our vacation beside me and herself. I can understand that after the day shes had.

“If you don't wanna come then go back to the cottage." 

She let out a loud sigh of relief. “Oh really? Thank you Sia! I owe you. Toodles." And with that, she turned around and headed back. She was so whiny about coming but as soon as I say she can go home she's all giddy and practically runs back. She's bipolar or something. A few minutes later I approached the cottage where Niall told me to go and knocked on the door. A few seconds later it swung open to reveal Niall. He engulfed me in a hug catching me by surprise and set me down before I could react. 

“Hey Stasia!" I smiled at his loud greeting and greeted him. “Hey Niall. My friend wasn't feeling well, so she didn't come." 

“That's fine, next time yeah? Come on in. The lads are out back. Would you wanna help me bring out the marshmellows and stuff?" He questioned. I nodded and followed him to the kitchen. I tried not to be nosy and kept myself from looking at the pictures hanging on the walls. When we reached the kitchen, Niall handed me the bag of marshmellows and grabbed the Graham crackers and Hershey's chocolate bars. 

I loved s'mores. Mum and dad always made them when we had nice weather like tonight. I followed Niall to sliding glass doors and stepped out first, when he motioned for me to. I was greeted by loud laughs and deep voices. They stopped when they saw me step outside. 

“Lads, this is Anastasia. She's the one who got hit by our football this morning," Niall explained. They all nodded, giving me the chance to take them in. The one that yelled at Niall this morning was now wearing a beanie and covered in a blanket. The one next to him had brown hair that looked like he just rolled out bed and had bright blue eyes. The next one had brown hair that looked to be slightly curly and big brown eyes. And the last one had curly brown hair and green eyes that seemed familiar. 

“Sorry about that," brown eyes said. “Niall doesn't have the best aim."

Niall looked offended. “You're one to talk Liam." Brown eyes who was now known as Liam rolled his eyes. “I'm Liam. Nice to meet you Anastasia."

“Nice to meet you too Liam, and it's fine." The others took it upon themselves to introduce themselves. 

“I'm Zayn." He must be from somewhere other then around here. You could tell by his accent. It was thicker then mine and Liam's. I smiled at him and waited for the other two to introduce themselves. “Hi! I'm Louis!" Well, isn't he loud. 

“My names Harry." Harry. The person who I don't even know and I don't like. 

“'ello, it's nice to meet you guys," I spoke. “Thanks for allowing me to come over Harry." My parents told me to be nice and not judge a book by it's cover, so that's what I'm doing. Being a good person and not openly judging him. I'm just bending the rules a little.

“No problem. Niall really wanted you to come over," he replied. He stared at me as if he was trying to figure me out. Trying to look into my soul. And I didn't like it. Not one bit. When I sat down they all started asking me about myself. Harry kept quiet, just staring at me intently. 

“Where did you grow up Stasia?" Niall questioned, handing me a stick with a marshmellow on the end. I put it over the fire and watched it as I answered. “Here in Holmes Chapel actually. I moved away to go to uni a couple months ago."

Something clicked in Harry's eyes as I took my black marshmellow away from the fire. Just the way I liked it. My brows furrowed at the look on his face. Why was he looking at me like that? Did I have something on my face? 

“Anastasia Foster?" How did he know my name? “Um...yeah. How do you know that?" I asked. 

He licked his lips, and what he said next made my heart stop. “It's me, Harry Styles. We went to school together."

Harry Styles. The Harry Styles. The person who made my life a living hell. The person who made me almost commit suicide. If it wasn't for him, I'd be with my parents right now. If he would have just let me jump off the bridge he would put me out of my misery and gotten his wish all in one. 

“No, I don't remember you. Sorry," I replied. I pretended my phone vibrated in my pocket and read a fake text. “Shit, I'm sorry guys, but I have to go. My friend almost set my house on fire."

Niall pouted. “Aww, really? I wanted you to stay and have fun with us." He looked like a little kid who's parents told him he couldn't have any cookies before dinner. He looked so innocent. 

“I'm sorry Niall, I really am. Some other time, yeah?" They all nodded while Harry kept staring at me. He knew I was lying. I could see it in his eyes. “Bye guys." And with that said, I made my way in the house. Before I had even reached the front door a voice called out to me. A voice of someone I never wanted to see or hear again. 

“You remember me," Harry stated. I took a deep breath, letting it out slowly. “Im afraid not. You've got the wrong girl mate." 

“You've changed. You never--" I left before he could finish. I didn't want to hear anything he had to say. What he had to say was none of my concern. I would much rather off myself then listen to anymore words come out of that pricks mouth. So I kept my anger towards him to myself and went home to go to bed. 

♪•♫•♪•♫•♪•♫•♪•♫•♪

Today was a new day. A day where I was going to spend my time out with the horses. Lilly had spent about an hour on the horses with me but got sick to her stomach so she went back in. I had my horse Snowflake all saddled up and was just letting her prance around. 

“Here you go girl," I spoke, holding out my hand with a sugar cube in it. She took it and shook her head around while neighing. I patted her neck with a chuckle and hit my feet on her sides making her start running. My cardigan I had on last night flapped in the wind and my hair blew all over the place. I figured since the clothes I wore to the bonfire were still clean I could wear them today, so I did. 

When my parents were still alive we would all three come out and ride our horses. It was something we did together as a family. We all enjoyed it. My mum taught me how to jump horses while my dad taught me how to groom them. They were what I came to after a long day at school. As stupid as it sounds, they listened to me rant about my problems and feelings. They were better then real people. No back talking, no sarcastic remarks, no nothing. They just listened. 

My phone vibrated in the small saddle bag, so I pulled on the reigns and fished it out, answering it. “'ello?" I answered.

“Oh my lord, Sia. This guy just came over and told me to tell you that he was having movie night at his friends place and wants you to come," Lilly rushed out. 

“'ello to you too," I replied as sarcasm dripped from my every word. “Oh shut up with the 'ellos! Do you know who the guy was?! Do you woman, huh?!" 

I rolled my bright blue eyes and held the phone with one hand as my other held the reigns. “No, but I'm assuming you'll tell me."

“You're right I am! It was Niall Horan from One Direction! He was who you went to see last night wasn't it? Why didn't you tell me? Oh my, I just met the Niall Horan. I think I might faint. And he smiled at me. Oh his sm--" Her rambling was cut off by someone on a horse coming to a stop beside me. 

“Ana--" I ignored him and stopped Lilly from continuing. “Lills, I have to get off here. Snowflake needs some water. Bye." I hung up my phone, put it back in the saddle bag, and nudged Snowflake in the sides. She took off like a bullet train. 

“Ana, will you please stop!" He never gave up, did he? The horse he was on could be heard chasing us. Just take the hint and leave. Leave me alone like I told you to, two years ago. Keep acting like I don't exist. Snowflake weaved in and out of trees, jumped over fallen limbs, and didn't stop. She was well trained. As she started down the hill I noticed Harry come up beside me on his horse out of the corner of my eye. 

“Can you not take a hint?" I spat. Snowflake slowed down against my will as Harry reached over and pulled her reigns the same time he pulled the ones on his horse. I gave him my best glare. “Why did you just do that? I could have been thrown off!" I shouted. 

He looked taken back by my shouts. But I really didn't care at this point. All I cared about was getting away from him. That was pretty much all I cared about from the time I was three up until I was sixteen. When he left to do whatever it was he did, my life was just a smidgen better. Sure people still called me names and made my life a living hell, but I had a way of dealing with it.

“Ana, will you just stop and listen to me?" He begged. I jerked the leather reigns from his grip and steered Snowflake a feet away from him. “Don't call me that like you know me," I snapped. Deja vu anyone? Something flashed in his eyes, but I ignored it.

“But I do know you," he shot back. He knew me. HA! He knew me, just like the damn Pope was my best friend. He didn't know the smallest thing about me. 

I scoffed. “Oh yes I forgot. We were the best of mates when we were in school; you bullied the living shit out me while I did nothing to deserve it. Yeah, I'd say we know each other rather well." I'm done acting like I'm not who he thinks I am. 

“I'm sorry for everything I did." Too little, too late. I scoffed yet again. 

“Sorry isn't going to cut it Styles," I stated. “Don't act like you're sorry, because you aren't. You did it for so long and it obviously didn't bother you one bit, so just forget you even saw me. Pretend I'm dead....just like you wanted."

Before he could say anything I steered Snowflake around and made her start running back to the barn. If he wasn't going to leave, I was. I didn't want to be around him period. And I didn't want him thinking I had just forgot about all the pain and suffering he had put me through for thirteen years. Something like that wasn't easy to forget. He's a proper idiot if he thinks I don't remember.

♪•♫•♪•♫•♪•♫•♪•♫•♪

“Sia, the doors for you!" Lilly shouted. I marked my spot in the book I was reading and put it in on the coffee table before making my way to the door. There stood man in a uniform with a bouquet of roses. Furrowing my brows, I cleared my throat. “How may I help you?" 

“Are you," he trailed off looking down at the clipboard in his other hand, “Anastasia Foster?"

“Yes," I answered. He held out the flowers to me and said, “These are for you. Have a nice day miss." I took the flowers and bid him good day, then shut the door with my brows still furrowed. Who would send me flowers? And here no less? No one but Lilly knew I was here and she was with me. She wouldn't send me flowers for no reason either. I opened the small card attached to them. 

I'm sorry. -Harry xx

That was all it said. I'm sorry. -Harry xx Who does he think he is? The queen of England? He can't just send me flowers with a stupid card that says I'm sorry and we'll be all hunkydory. It doesn't work that way. I don't work that way. 

Rolling my eyes as a scoff fell from my lips, I headed out the front door and straight to the trash bin at the end of the driveway. I placed the flowers on top and pushed the lid back down. Half the flowers were sticking out but I didn't care. I couldn't care less what happened to them. Or Harry for that matter. 

“Why're you throwing away those roses?" I jumped at the sudden voice and spun around. There stood Niall in grey sweats and a white vneck with white Supras and a grey Chicago Bulls snapback. A little monochromatic don't you think Niall? Reminds me of my grandpa. He always wore greys, blacks, and whites, nothing else. 

“Jesus Christ Niall!" I shouted, hand over my heart. “You can't just sneak up on people like that."

He smirked. “Sorry, I'll make more noise next time. Now why are you throwing those away?" 

I glanced back at the trash bin with hard eyes. “I don't want them and I don't like the person they're from," I answered simply.

“Well who are they from?" Nosy lad. 

“Just some guy who can't take a hint," I replied. “What're you doing here?" 

He shrugged. “Just came to say you missed out on a good movie night last night."

Shit. I forgot about that. I was going to go and tell him I couldn't come since I didn't have his number, but I was so mad after the prick came over that I completely forgot. I felt horrible. “I'm so sorry Niall, I completely forgot. I would have texted you, but I don't have you're number," I replied. 

“Well here." He whipped out his phone and held it out to me. I took it and put in my number. “Come with me, and you can put your number in mine." I beckoned him to follow and hollered out to Lilly when we stepped inside. 

“Yo!" She hollered from what sounded like the kitchen. Niall laughed loudly which was followed by pots clanging on the ground. A second later she appeared in the doorway with wet spots all over her shirt and jeans. “Oh, um, 'ello Niall. I didn't know you were here," she managed to squeak. Pshh. She squeaked. She sounded like a mouse. 

He waved with a grin. “Hi. Nice to see you again." Before Lilly made a complete fool out of herself I dragged Niall to the living room where I got my phone off of the coffee table. I handed it to him and watched as his thumbs tapped away at the screen. 

“Here you go." I looked to see he had put Irish Beast as his name. I couldn't help but laugh. “Very nice Niall. Now I feel like my names boring."

He waved it off. “We'll think of one. Just give us some time." All of a sudden his phone started playing Stars In My Eyes by The Original Rude Boys.

I'm seeing stars in my eyes, I can let them go
Everyday I'm caught daydreaming out the damn window
I wanna make it big someday see my name in lights.
So I'm ripping up these lyrics and drinking on these spirits,
Watch me flames ignite, Chea.--


“What up mate?" He answered. He sounded like an Irish gangster. “No, I didn't run away. I'm down at Stasia's.....Yeah.....Why?.....No, I ain't gonna do that....Because Harry, I just don't want to. Is that all you called for?....Okay, see ya later." 

He shook his head and mumbled something under his breath. “I swear, all he's talked about since the bonfire the other night was you. He says he hasn't seen you since before he went on the X Factor and you guys lost contact, and how he wants to hang out with you." 

He lost contact with me? He never had contact with me to begin with. And since when does he want to hang out with me? The stupid slag who's parents died and he wished I would be dead too. I don't think he understands that I want nothing to do him and I never will. Just because he's seen me after two years, doesn't mean anything. I'm surprised he recognized me. I've changed since school. I grew up. I was no longer the stick skinny girl who wore skinny jeans and jumpers all the time, I dressed more like a girl and had grew into my body. I wore makeup, I fixed my hair, I actually put an effort into my appearance. 

“Well I can't hang out with him," I replied. “I've got better things to do." And that right there shows that I've learned to speak my mind and say what's on my mind. I grew a backbone. I was no longer a spineless little girl. 

He chuckled. “I told him you probably had a boyfriend, but he kept denying it. You got a lad waiting back home for you, dontcha?"

Without thinking, I said, “Yeah, I do actually." So I'm a liar now too. Nice Ana, real nice.  
♠ ♠ ♠
Well here it is. Whatcha think? I changed my username; what do you think of it? Haha.

Image