‹ Prequel: Shadow Kiss
Status: This is the sequel to Shadow Kiss. If you have not yet read Shadow Kiss all the way through, then please do so before continuing with this story. Thanks! And remember comments are always appreciated!

The Freeing Blood

Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I couldn’t stop staring at him. His sleeping face was just too adorable. I did vaguely wonder how he had convinced the doctor to allow him to cuddle up in bed with me. Then again…he was Zak Bagans…so I suppose I didn’t have to wonder too much.
I lifted my hand and gently trailed my fingers down his nose and traced the outline of his lips. He wrinkled his nose and promptly scratched it. I smiled when he didn’t even bother waking up to see what had caused the sudden itch. I softly blew on his face. He didn’t even stir. I pushed my bottom lip out in a pout. That’s when it hit me. I knew how I could wake him up.
I scooted my body closer to his, loving the electricity that shot throughout my body at the close contact. Even though he was pinning down my left arm, I was still able to place my right hand on his jawline to tilt his head up just a bit and press my lips against his. Within seconds, Zak’s eyes flashed open to bore straight into my honey brown eyes. I pulled back with a triumphant smile.
“You’re awake,” he breathed.
“How long have I been out?” I asked dropping my hand to his chest.
“No questions just yet,” he demanded. I bunched my eyebrows in confusion.
“Why?”
“Because there’s something I need to do first.”
“What?”
“This,” he whispered molding his lips with mine. Unlike the gentle kiss I had given him to wake him up, this one held more fire. Beneath all that though was the feeling of relief. We were both glad that I was still alive so that we could hold each other, kiss each other, argue with each other again.
We pulled away breathless; his fingers were tangled in my hair as he kept my face close. I could smell a slight hint of mint on his breath from the gum he had most likely recently chewed.
“Ok, now you can ask questions,” he smiled.
“How long have I been out?” I reiterated.
Zak closed his eyes as he thought over the question.
“Well, you underwent surgery immediately upon arriving at the hospital. It turns out that the gunshot wound wasn’t as clean as we originally thought and it came pretty close to some vital organs like your lungs. And then you were out for the rest of the day and the next day…” Zak glanced up at the clock on the wall. “It’s ten at night right now, so you’ve probably been out for about two days.”
My eyes went wide. “Two days? I mean I suppose that’s not too bad, but wow,” I breathed in shock.
“Another thing,” I said. He cocked his brow awaiting my next request.
“Could you maybe get off my arm? I think it has lost all feeling,” I smiled apologetically.
“Oh! I’m sorry! Here let me get off the bed,” he quickly apologized scrambling to get off the bed.
I grabbed the back of his shirt before he could hop off the bed. He met my eyes over his shoulder.
“Don’t go,” I quietly commanded. “I just needed my arm back is all. If you leave the bed then I’m going to get cold now that my body has gotten used to the warmth you provided all night.”
Zak nodded biting back a smile. “Of course I won’t leave you. Here let me help you sit up so we can get better situated.”
He grabbed my hand and placed his other hand behind my back as I struggled to get up. The bindings around my chest made it hard for me to sit up too far not to mention the pain from the recent surgery. He swung his legs back up onto the bed and lay down beside me. Once he had gotten situated, I laid back down with my head resting on his shoulder and my arm resting across his chest. Finally, I was able to take the chance and trail my hand along the toned muscles of his abdomen. My fingers dipped and rose over every groove along his stomach and across his tight, firm pecs. Zak grabbed the hand that was absentmindedly running along his chest and flipped it over to kiss the inside of my palm.
Shivers ran down my spine making goosebumps rise all along my skin. He intertwined our fingers and rested our hands back on his stomach; his thumb made soothing circles along the back of my hand. His other arm was wrapped around my shoulder. The warmth of his body and the rhythmic, soothing sound of his heart beating beneath my head almost made me fall back to sleep.
“Hey, Aero?” Zak quietly asked.
“Mmmm?” I mumbled trying my best to stay awake.
“I’m so glad you’re awake and alive,” he replied.
“Me too,” I smiled snuggling closer to him.
“There’s one more thing.”
Curious, I lifted my head up off his chest to look at him. If he hadn’t said it in such a worried tone, I probably wouldn’t have bothered trying to gaze into his eyes.
“What is it, Zak?” I asked with concern. He refused to meet my gaze as he seriously mulled over what he was going to say.
Finally those penetrating bluish-hazel eyes locked on with mine.
“Don’t freak out,” he warned. My heart started racing and I could feel my palms beginning to sweat. Don’t tell me he was going to leave me again?
“But…” he began hesitantly.
My heart stopped. Here it comes. He was going to tell me he had to leave me again. I’m not sure I could stand to hear it, but I had to give him the chance to—
“I love you, Aerolynn.”