No One's Gonna Need You More

I Can't Promise That Things Won't Be Broken

Alex slipped quietly into the dressing room about 30 minutes before they’re supposed to go on. Matt had been calling his cell for the past hour and he knew he was about to get a lecture.

“Alex!”

He looked sheepishly toward the frazzled tour manager, giving him a slight grin. Matt didn’t return it, only pointed toward the couch. Alex sighed and sat down, looking up at Matt expectantly. He knew he was about to get lectured on his lack of respect and his ability to be on time. But just as Matt was about to open his mouth Alex held up a hand to stop him.

“Matt, can you save the lecture this time? We both know I can repeat it word for word and I’m just going to say that I’m sorry and it won’t happen again even though we both know it will and you’ll still be pissed off but you’ll just tell me to get ready for the show and since I’m extra late I kind of need to just get ready now.”

“You’re an asshole.”

Alex just nodded and watched as Matt stormed out of the dressing room. Rian looked at him from his place on the couch.

“Wow. That was kind of a dick move.”

Alex just shrugged his shoulders; he honestly didn’t give a fuck. Rian rolled his eyes. Alex had become an asshole lately. He was constantly missing or showing up late. He was totally stressing Matt out. He watched as Alex went into the bathroom and kicked the door shut. He looked over toward Jack and wasn’t surprised to see that he was passed out in a chair. He and Alex were completely on the outs at this point. Rian was almost positive they hadn’t spoken a work to each other in over 2 weeks besides when they were onstage. Though Alex had certainly been spending all of his time with Ian, speaking of, Ian had slipped quietly into the dressing room and was rummaging through his bag. He was rubbing at a spot on his jeans and he quickly pulled out another pair before going over the bathroom.

He knocked on the door and Alex’s face appeared. Rian noticed how Alex smirked at him, his eyes going from the pants in Ian’s hand to his face. Ian blushed profusely before he pushed past Alex. Alex looked up to meet Rian’s gaze before he once again shut the door.

That wasn’t odd at all. Jack stirred in his sleep, Rian figured he would wake him when they needed to go to the stage, he looked exhausted. He was almost as bad off as Alex had been but Alex was obviously sleeping better, with Ian no doubt, and Jack was crying himself to sleep every night.
Matt poked him head back in the door and gestured for Rian to wake Jack and grumbled about Alex but Rian assured him that he’d get both of them there and Matt was back out the door.

He gently shook Jack’s shoulder, Jack moved slightly and stretched, leaning forward in the chair and yawning.

“We have to play now.”

Jack nodded and stood up. Rian made a face as he heard Jack’s bones popping. Jack started for the door but stopped when he realized Rian wasn’t following him.

“You coming?”

“Yeah, I just have to grab something; I’ll meet you out there.”

Jack nodded and headed out the door, shutting it behind him. Rian almost groaned as he went over to the bathroom door and knocked gently. He heard a shushing sound and then the door was being pulled open.

“Show time?”

Alex stepped around Rian and didn’t wait for an answer. Ian stood in the bathroom and shifted uncomfortably when Rian turned to look at him.

“Wait a second, Alex, I need to talk to you.”

Rian was still staring at Ian. Ian fidgeted under his gaze and looked at Alex. Alex smiled at him behind Rian’s back before walking back over.

“Ok. …Umm, Ian don’t you have to get to the stage?”

Ian nodded at that and quickly slipped by them and out the door before Rian could say anything. Rian frowned as he turned to face Alex but Alex stopped him before he could say anything.

“I know you want to talk but we seriously have 5 minutes before we have to be onstage. Can we not talk after?”

Rian sighed, “You have to promise you’ll seriously sit down and talk with me because what you’re doing isn’t okay.”

Alex nodded. “I promise we’ll talk.”

And with that he headed out into the hallway with Rian close at his heels. He smiled as Ian handed him his guitar and stood ready to take his place onstage. He happened to look over at Jack and noticed the boy was looking back at him. He looked so miserable and tired and Alex felt a pang of regret. He smiled slightly in Jack’s direction and saw Jack’s immediate reaction. His eyes lit up and he gave Alex a tentative smile back.

The show went by smoothly. Alex and Jack having a somewhat easier time interacting onstage, throwing cute glances and shy smiles at each other. It was the first time in 2 weeks that they didn’t trade insults back and forth or glare at each other. The lack of tension between the two of them put the whole band and crew at ease.

Matt was sighing with relief that maybe the two of them could work this out. He just needed them to not fight anymore and at least be civil. At this rate he was going to have a heart attack before he reached 30. Ian was not so happy about this. What if Alex went back to Jack? He ignored twinge of hurt over that thought and started his load out. He kept quiet while the crew discussed plans to go out to a bar and celebrate.

“Yo, Ian! Why are you being so quiet?” Ian shied away as Danny put an arm around his shoulder.

“I’m just tired.”

“Ok, you’re still coming out right?”

Ian resisted the urge to say no and just nodded his head. He might as well get shit faced and numb the pain for a little bit.

He watched from the trailer as Alex came out to sign. Jack standing beside him and looking happier than he had in days. It wasn’t much longer before they were all hopping into Taxi’s and heading toward some bar that Vinny and Danny had decided on.

They easily split into groups once arriving and Ian was situated in between Matt and Greico, Alex having gone off into a corner with Rian.

It was hours later that Ian found himself sitting in a booth with Jack. Alex having disappeared after talking with Rian and the rest of the band/crew either dancing or getting more drinks.

Jack drunkenly laid his head on Ian’s shoulder and it was obvious he had no idea who he was sitting with or what was even going on.

“Hey, Ian?”

Scratch that, Ian’s jaw dropped as Jack said his name.

“Umm, yeah, Jack?”

“Do you know where Alex is?”

Ian shook his head at that before he realized Jack wasn’t looking at him, “No, I think he left not long after we got here.”

“Oh. I love him.”

“I know you do, Jack.”

“No, you don’t understand! He’s like the most important person in the world to me. Like, I wanna marry him someday. I love him, Ian!”

Ian bit the inside of his lip. He had no idea what to say. Jack was just drunk and rambling but it was obvious the he was being honest with what he said. Ian took a deep breath and had to blink back tears. He was a horrible person. He may not like Jack very much and Jack may not like him but he still shouldn’t be helping Alex cheat on him. He shouldn’t have ever started it and after their hook up in his hotel room he should have ended it.

“Ian…Ian.”

Ian looked at Jack who was tugging on the sleeve of his shirt.

“Ian, I don’t feel so good. Will you take me back to the bus?”

Ian sighed and nodded. He stood up and pulled Jack to his feet, Jack falling against him. He almost tripped multiple times as he dragged the two of them toward the entrance to the bar. He paused, wondering if he should tell Matt they were leaving but decided to risk it. Jack was too heavy for him to continuing standing here and the idea of dragging Jack around the bar until they found Matt was really unappealing.

He took a deep breath as they stepped out into the fresh air and heaved Jack over to the curb. He let Jack sit as he hailed a taxi. He felt Jack tug on his shirt again and looked down at him.

“I feel sick.” And with that Jack pitched over and vomited onto the street. Ian groaned out loud. This was his punishment for being a cheater. He accepted that and kneeled next to Jack. He rubbed his back gently as Jack finished throwing up. He helped him to his feet and into the cab that had stopped for them, praying that Jack was done vomiting.

Jack fell asleep on the short ride back to the venue and Ian had to shake him so he could get him into the bus. He sighed in relief when he finally got Jack into his bunk. He slipped into the back lounge and fell down on the sofa wishing he had something that would just knock him out so he didn’t have to think about Jack or Alex or anything. He just wanted to sleep and pretend even for a few hours that everything was not completely fucked up.

Of course that couldn’t happen though because Alex was stepping into the lounge and shutting the door behind him.

“Hey.”

“Hi.”

“So…umm…I’m sorry I just left earlier. I had a lot on my mind and I just couldn’t be there.”

“Ok.”

Alex shifts as Ian gets more comfortable on the couch. He wants to go over there but something is telling him not to. Ian isn’t looking at him and that’s not normal.

“Is…Is something wrong? Did I do something?”

Ian watches as Alex frowns at him and part of him feels bad but another just wants to hit him. Yes, he’s done something wrong. He’s stolen his heart and he still has Jack’s. Alex has nothing to lose, the best of both worlds, while him and Jack are getting fucked.

“I can’t do this anymore.”

Alex’s face falls, “What?”

“You heard me; I’m not doing this anymore Alex. You have Jack and Jack is so in love with you and I can’t hurt him like this because what if I was in his position? I’m not staying on this tour, Alex. I’ll let Matt know I’m leaving tomorrow and I’ll stay until he can replace me.”
Alex was shaking his head before Ian finished talking but Ian stood up and went over to him.

“It’s for the best, Alex, fix things with Jack and just forget about me.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh well Ian just broke things off with Alex...not sure Alex is gonna take that very well.

Next chapter you'll get to see what Rian talked to Alex about.

Thanks to:
f0reverbr0ken
jennnnnarose
thatgirlthere
alleson
for commenting!