Snow and the Seven Deadly Hunks

Squirrel Talk

Queen Damona hates me. Don’t ask me why she just does. She has nothing to be jealous about; in fact I envy her beauty. She has thick black hair, porcelain skin and the most beautiful pink lips ever. Her eyes are a stormy blue and her lashes are dark and long. So I don’t think she could be jealous of me.

My mother may have named me Snow White but she certainly did not take into account just how pale I would be. My skin is so white that I look sick all the time, and my lips are too red. Like I’ve been eating berries or sucking on strawberries for hours. My hair was supposed to be the same black color as both of my parents but instead it is dark brown. My mother, who was known all over the kingdom for her beauty looks nothing like me. I have absolutely not curves and no feminity to speak of. So after all this why does the Queen hate me?

Could it be she is jealous of my mother? I mean I can understand that alittle. No one could hold a candle to my dear mother beauty. But she died when I was little so it couldn’t be that. Maybe she hates my father for leaving her to deal with the kingdom while he went on the Crusades. Either way I still don’t understand why she hates me.

Ever since she remarried my father I have done my best to stay out of her way. I rarely talk to her, but then again I rarely talk to anyone. I have never been allowed to leave the castle. I could probably say I feel sad about that but I don’t. The palace is my home, the place where I grew up. I have such fond memories of the guards chasing me, having tea in the garden and talking with all the animals, even though they can’t understand me. The only black spot in my happy memories is the constant feeling of someone watching me, and I’m pretty sure I know who it is.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

“Snow come here!” snapped the queen. I quickly made my way up to the throne and knelt in front of her.

“Yes your majesty?” I kept my eyes on the ground because I really hated seeing the way she glared at me.

“Tomorrow is your eighteenth birthday is it not?” Her voice was as cold as ice, it made my skin clammy.

“Yes your majesty” honestly I was surprised she remembered.

“Then we should throw a ball in your honor.” My head snapped up at what she said and I blinked in confusion.

“Your majesty” I felt the words die in my throat, because I could not understand why she was being nice to me.

“Well eighteen is a special birthday after all.” Her lips tweaked and I felt as though she was trying to smile at me, which only made my skin crawl with how unnatural it looked on her.

“If it is your wish your majesty” I tried to talk above a whisper but it seems my voice has given out.

“It is, and we shall invite all the Princes across the land.” My jaw dropped to the floor. How could she be saying all these nice things and still be glaring at me as if she hates me?

I shook my head and closed my eyes. Snow things aren’t always what they appear to be. She might just be reaching out now; maybe she felt she couldn’t before because you were just a child. Now you’re young women and maybe she wants to help you. Maybe, I thought.

I opened my eyes and looked up at her and smiled. “Thank you so much Stepmother.” I ran up the steps and hugged her. I felt her body stiffen in response and she awkwardly patted my shoulder as if to say “get off”. I released her and smiled before making a quick exit out of the room and heading up the stairs to my own bedroom.

“John! John? Where are you?” I look around my room for my furry friend. I heard something scamper around but I couldn’t place where he was at. “John come out I have so wonderful news to tell you.”

I heard more sounds, and then saw a flash of brown dart out from under my bed. I quickly closed the door as he leaped up and landed on my chest. I looked down into his black eyes and smiled.

“Well hello to you too.” I laughed.

The brown squirrel made a cute skittering sound then climbed up into my hair, and patted his paw on my forehead. “Can I help you with something John?”

He patted my head again and I laughed and walked over to my bed and laid down in it. “Oh John the best thing just happened.” He made another sound as if to answer.

“Damona has decided that for my eighteenth birthday she is going to throw a ball for me.” I smiled, and John started to crawl down my face, then turns and looks at him. I swear I could hear him almost say “Are you crazy?”

I sat up and held him in my hands. “What’s wrong with a ball? She’s inviting all the princes to come.”

John jumped out of my hands and ran across the floor towards my dresser and climbed up. He started to run towards the mirror when his paws slipped on the paper that was laying there and slide right into the mirror. I closed my eyes and heard a thud as he made contact. I looked over and shook my head. John has a weird way of expressing what’s on his mind. I walked over to the mirror and looked in it. All I saw was the reflection of a girl who maybe eighteen soon but still looked like a girl in need of some serious growing up. I gave a heavy sigh and patted Johns head.

“Thank you.”

I walked over to the door and opened it. I had to call off my ball; I didn’t want to be humiliated in front of all those princes. So I turned and headed down the hall, back towards the throne room.