Status: This is a work in progress, again please be nice in your comments. This is my first Ghost Adventures story :)

The Ghosts of Your Past Haunt Me

-049-

Nick and I had drank just about every bit of alcohol that lingered in this place. I drunkenly searched the cabinets for more, knocking shit out of my way that wasn't alcohol. Sighing in defeat, I stumbled into the living room and fell onto the couch.

"She's gone. Never coming back," Nick slurred.

I rolled over so I was facing the ceiling, even though my head swam and the room was swimming.

"Did Hailey leave her ring?" I asked.

Nick shook his head, "No, she didn't. What does that mean?"

I shrugged or tried to anyways, "I have no idea."

Just then I heard a menacing laugh. I turned my head in the direction it came.

"Did you hear that?" I asked Nick, trying to sit up, but failing.

"Yeah. What was that?" Nick asked, trying to stand.

"I have won," something hissed in my ear.

I looked at Nick, "Won what dude?"

Nick's head bobbled while he tried to look at me, "What are you talking about, bro?"

I shook my head, "I could've swore you said 'I have won' in my ear."

Nick shook his head, "I think we need to go to bed."

I nodded my agreement. Nick stood up, nearly falling into the table that stood in front of him, but he stopped himself before he completely went through it. I sat up after a few tries and fell off the couch. Pushing myself up, I used the couch to push myself off the floor. Once I was standing and had my balance, I grabbed Nick's arm and we stabled each other as we headed up the stairs.

We nearly tripped a few times, but we made it. Nick opened his door and walked inside his room, slamming his door behind him. I stumbled into my door, hitting me face on the wooden frame.

"Fuck!" I cried out.

I finally got the door open and fell into my room. I managed to shut the door with my foot and I remained in the floor. Reaching in my pocket, I pulled out my phone. I managed to prop myself up on my elbows and look at my phone. Tears pricked my eyes as the screen lit up and I saw Katie's sleeping face. I unlocked my phone and pulled up our messages.

'Why dd u lve me? I lve u so mch. Plse com bck.'

I hit send and laid my phone on the floor. I laid my head on the floor, tears falling from my eyes as my mind flooded with memories.

"Zak, what do you think it's like in the afterlife?" Katie asked as she looked up at me.

I tightened my arm around her as I thought about my answer, "Well that depends. If you actually leave the world then I guess you go to your own personal Heaven or Hell. If you stay then I guess you haunt the place that you died."

She giggled, "So if you die having sex in someone's bed, you're going to haunt that room forever?"

I shook my head as I laughed, "I guess you could. Make sleeping with another woman or man creepy though."

She hit my chest, "Zachary Alexander!"

I coughed as I laughed, "What?!"

"So you're saying that if I died here right now after we just had sex, that you'd still bring another woman in our bed?" she asked sounding hurt.

I stroked her cheek, "Baby, I'd never bring another woman to bed with me. I don't care how long you'd been gone. I'd stay here all day and talk to you through a spirit box."

Tears pricked her eyes, "Even in death, you'd still love me?"

I nodded as I pulled her lips to mine, "Even in death baby."


A sob escaped my lips, I heard my phone buzzing and I quickly scrambled to answer it.

"Hello?"

"Zak?"

My heart leaped into my chest, "Katie?"

There was a slight pause, "Um no, it's Dennis. What happened with Katie?"

I rolled over on my back, trying to sober up, "Mr. Wilson I couldn't tell you. She just said she was leaving me."

He sighed, "She stopped by here today; she was a complete wreck to be honest with you. Said something about leaving. She didn't tell me where she was going though. Just said that she'd call me when she got there. I figured you and her had got into it pretty bad for her to be as upset as she was."

Tears rolled down the side of my face, "I honestly couldn't tell you, sir. We were on vacation and she just left. Her and Hailey both."

"This isn't like her. I don't know what you're not telling me, but if I find out you did something to break her heart, I'll break every bone in your body. Got it?" he growled.

I gulped, "Y-yes, sir. All I can tell you is she found out I had been scratched by a ghost or spirit, whatever the hell is after me, and got extremely pissed. After that Nick and I had a few beers then we headed up to our rooms and that's when Katie came in, talking about leaving."

Fresh tears rolled down my face as I remember the conversation in my head. I was so stupid, I should've stopped her.

'It's for your own benefit, please believe me,'

"Zak, I know my daughter. She wouldn't have left if she didn't have good reason. She's crazy about you. I can see it when she talks about you and when you guys are together, she's the happiest I've ever seen her. You were the cause of that. So I suggest that you figure out what really happened. Maybe one of those ghosts or whatever is it that you hunt after got her spooked," he said, putting emphasis on 'ghosts'.

I stifled a sob, "Thank you, sir. I'll do my best to get her back. I have to get her back."

He said his goodbyes and we hung up. I checked to see if I had any messages, but I didn't. Getting up off the floor, I walked over to the bed. I placed my phone on the bedside table, making sure the volume was all the way up. I pulled my shirt over my head and tossed it on the floor. I climbed into bed and let out a frustrated sigh. Soon I fell into a restless and nightmare filled sleep.

Image

Katie

"Zak!" I cried out as I lunged forward in my seat.

Everyone was starring at me. I immediately flushed all over and scooted down in my seat. Hailey grabbed my hand, giving me a reassuring squeeze.

"It was so real," I whispered.

Hailey wiped her eyes, "I can't sleep either. Nick's face keeps flashing in my mind."

I leaned over and hugged her, crying into her shoulder, "Did we make the right choice? I mean we could have told them and probably gotten rid of it."

Hailey rubs my back soothingly, "Babe, you know what these things are capable of. You know it would of hurt one of us or the boys first. I can't risk that especially with my twins nor did I was to risk their father getting hurt, though I can't say leaving was easy, but sometimes we have to make hard decisions."

I wiped my eyes with my free hand and pulled back nodding, "You're right."

She smiled weakly at me, but I knew on the inside she's wanting to break down so badly. I sighed as I pulled out my phone. Noticing I had a new text.

'Why dd u lve me? I lve u so mch. Plse com bck.'

Tears welled in my eyes again. He was making this so hard.

'I can't. I hope you can forgive me one day.'

I hit send and turned my phone off, placing it back in my pocket. I leaned back in my seat and sighed.

"Attention passengers, we are about to land in Juno. So please fasten your seat belts and prepare for landing," the captain announced.

Hailey and I both buckled our seat belts, though it was a little difficult with out thick jackets on, we managed. I grabbed Hailey's hand as we felt the plane descend. This was it, the beginning of a new life for us.
♠ ♠ ♠
Song For This Chapter

This is an extraordinary piece by Yiruma. It's so beautiful and very sad.

Katie||Alaska