‹ Prequel: Beasts

Pandemonium

Different Sense

“I’ve been dreaming of angels and demons lately.” I admit, fumbling with the buttons on my blouse. The woman pauses in her note taking, glancing up at me.

“Do you think these dreams have any significance as to what you went through?” She questions.

“I’m not sure.” I frown, biting my lip. “They almost seem like memories, but that can’t be right?” I state, but it comes out like a question. As if I was questioning my own sanity. The woman nods, setting her pen down.

“Perhaps these figures you are dreaming of represent the people you have been with for the past six months?”

“I don’t know. I’m really not that…deep.” I disclose.

“You’re too modest,” she chuckles, “The mind is a powerful thing.” She presses. But these angels and demons were not metaphors. She seems to catch my doubt. “Do you believe you were living amongst angels and demons?” She questions. Hearing it out loud, it does sound peculiar.

“My brain says no, but my heart says yes.” I finally sigh. “You can 302 me now.” I sigh, making the woman giggle again.

“I don’t believe you’re a danger to yourself or others. You have a lot to sort through. Amnesia is difficult to handle, especially when you’re missing so much time.” She frowns. “How about we talk about your friend…Kikki was it?”

“Yes, Kixx.” I nod, grateful for the change in topic.

“How are you dealing with this?” She asks.

“With her absence? I don’t know. I keep expecting her to walk through the front door. We ended things on such bad terms, and I feel guilty for that.” I frown, “I’ve wanted to apologize every day.”

“You should.” She says, making me stare at her alarmed. “Just say it out loud, or write a message to her. At least the words will be out there and not crammed in your head.” She smiles. The mention of a letter brought back a euphoric sensation, and a faint scene played out before me.

I recalled sitting at a desk in a small round room, scribbling a note on paper. Someone called out for me, busting in through the doors with a wide smile. That was the end of it. I blinked, confused by what had just occurred.

“Did you remember something?” She asked, dragging me back to reality. I shook my head, pushing the scene from my mind.

“Uh…yeah. I was just writing a letter.” I shrug.

“Do you remember anything else from the memory?” She questions. I just shake my head no. “When you go home, I want you to lie down and think about that memory. Recall what you saw, heard, felt, smelled, tasted, everything.” She orders, “Maybe you will continue to remember. But our session is just about up. Did you have any last minute concerns?” I shook my head, rising to my feet.

“No,” I smile, “I’ll see you next week.”

“See you soon Ai.” She smiles. With that, I was out the door headed home.

I didn’t want to think about what happened to me in the time that I was missing. I don’t want to know where I was or who I was with for the past six months. I don’t want to think about where Kixx has gone or what has happened to her. I don’t want to be dreaming about angels and demons. I just want my life to go back to normal.

I sighed, trudging down the sidewalk back home. The moon cast gray shadows on the street, making the hair on my neck stand on end. I felt a nervous flutter in my heart and clutched it tightly. The mark on my wrist spun. I hated when it did that. It wasn’t natural. No one else ever saw it twist and turn; only me. It was things like this that made me seek professional help.

Turning the corner, I could see my home from the end of the street. I noticed the silhouette of a man crouched on the front step. My body froze and I looked around nervously. My heart thrummed in my chest with both fear and anticipation. It was as if a second person existed inside me.

Glancing back at the porch, I noticed that the figure was no longer there. Maybe I was imagining things? Cautiously, I approached the house only to feel something, or someone, brush up against my side. In a sudden burst of adrenaline, I sprinted to the door, slammed it closed behind me, and slid to the floor.

My chest heaved, heart threatening to burst from its enclosure. I exhaled, now realizing I’d been holding my breath. I could feel sweat beading on my forehead. I was out of shape.

There was a knock on the glass, forcing my heart to stop. Cautiously, I glanced up into the window pane. My eyes grew wide spotting a pair of crimson orbs staring right back at me. It occurred to me that these were the familiar, blood red eyes I’d seen so often in my dreams. They were the eyes of a demon. My heart told me to be at ease, but my brain told me to get armed.

“Who are you?” I hissed at the window, fumbling along the ground to find some sort of weapon. I settled for an umbrella. It wouldn’t do much, but it was all I had.

“Ai? What’s wrong with you?” The man questioned, his brows furrowing in agitation. I narrowed my eyes at him, slowly rising to my feet. How did he know my name? “It’s Kyo.” He uttered. The name brought flashes of color to my mind, but that was all. I took a step back, ensuring that the door was locked. “You don’t remember me?” He asks, his fingers pressing to the window pane. I notice the tattoos covering his skin. They twist like the one on my wrist. My heart felt warm, but I wasn’t listening to my heart right now.

“I hope you can understand my hesitance. I don’t know you, nor do I know anything about the last six months of my life.” I explain. The man looks alarmed, but nods in understanding, taking a step back.
“I’ll stay out here for tonight then. That umbrella isn’t going to do much good.” He teases, but his humor goes unnoticed.

“Just go home.” I warn.

“I’m not going home Ai. You’re in danger.” He warns, making my heart jump into my throat. Was he threatening me now? “I’m not the threat.” He rolls his eyes, as if understanding my thoughts.

“Then who is?” I question.

“…I don’t know.” He mutters, shuffling his feet.

“Then how do I know it’s not you?”

“You’ll just have to trust me.” He shrugs. I only narrow my eyes, taking a seat on the stairs. “My friend Shinya is a reaper. He says your name appeared on his reaping list, so I’m here to protect you.”

“…You’re crazy.”

“No Ai, I’m the demon you lived with for the past six months. Along with a fallen angel, reaper, and incubus.” He explains.

“How did you find out about my dreams?!” I yell. It was that damn shrink. She was the only one I told. Is this her playing a prank on me?!

“They’re not dreams Ai. We’re real! Just let me take you back to my home, everything will come back to you.”

“I’m not going anywhere with you!” The man looks agitated, but dejected. He sighs, turning and flopping to the floor, his back pressed against the door.

“Fine. Then I’ll stay out here all night.”

“I’ll call the cops!” I threaten.

“No you won’t. Just go to sleep Ai. I’ll protect you.” He sighs, the turmoil in my heart suddenly melting away. I feel my eyelids growing heavy, and I’m in my bed before I know what’s happened. “Good night Ai.” Kyo whispers.
♠ ♠ ♠
A special thank you goes out to Azela28 for her brilliant title idea!! Thank you, and congratulations on winning the story contest! :) I'll be writing you a oneshot as your prize, that is once I get a good idea for one!

Thank you everyone for reading and commenting! Keep an eye on my blog for future contests and updates!

<3 xoxdiebearxox