‹ Prequel: Beasts

Pandemonium

Lotus

-Kyo’s POV-


“So she’s still on your list?”

“Kyo, she’s not just going to disappear from the list. Not until I…well…you know.” Shinya trails off, his eyes veering toward the floor.

“You’re not touching a single hair on her head!” I snarl, eyes narrowing.

“I’m already in enough trouble for telling you about it! I’m trying to buy some extra time, but it’s not so simple.”

“Can’t you just scratch her name off?!”

“What? And make her immortal like us? You want her to be damned like we are?!” He snaps back, making me shut my mouth. No, I never wanted that. The last thing I want would be to turn her into something like me.

“There has to be something I can do…”

“Just be there for her Kyo.” He sighs coldly.

“And watch her die?” The thought made my insides twist in agony.

“She’s already dying, Kyo. They all are.” He responds, making my blood boil.

“I won’t let her die…” I growl, turning away from the man and storming outside the room.

“There’s nothing you can do!” He shouts after me, but I could hear the surrender in his voice. He knew better than to challenge me. I would not let her die, not after she just got her life back…

The image of her rosy cheeks and glimmering eyes comes to mind, followed by the rapid beating of my heart.

-Ai’s POV-


It’s been about a week now, and Kyo had been spending every night at my home. He has steadily been updating me on the gaps in my memory. I learned that I had been kidnapped by the angel, Die, and had been living with him, Kyo, and their companions. He had even informed me of the eerie mark that twisted on my wrist. It was our bond. The very thought of it made my face bleed red.

Kyo last informed me of Kixx’s disappearance. She had vanished without a trace. The thought had me perplexed. Why had I been dreaming of Kyo killing her? After all, everything else I dreamt of had turned out to be a memory. It made no sense if she merely vanished. But what reason did Kyo have to lie to me? It was a lot to take in, and my head spun every time I thought about it. Everything sounded so ridiculous. And nothing was bringing my memory back to me.

“What are you going to do with that?” Kyo interrupted my thoughts as he entered the room, gesturing to the garlic clove in my hand.

“Well hello to you too.” I roll my eyes, pushing the thoughts from my mind. He only narrows his own at me. He had made himself quite comfortable here. Anyone who didn’t know better would think we were a couple. “I’m making dinner and I need to put this in it. Why? Will it destroy you?” I tease.

“No, it’s just disgusting.” He answers, his face twisting into a grimace as I begin chopping the herb.

“Well I don’t recall inviting you to eat it anyway.” I retort.

“You know I only eat it to humor you.” He pulls a chair out, watching me as I work in the kitchen. “So have you noticed anything strange recently?” He questions, changing the topic.

“Huh? Oh, no. Not since that night.” I shrug recalling the figure he and I spotted standing outside my home. It caused a chill to run down my spine.

“Maybe it’s gone.” I can hear him sigh, but feel the tension in his heart as it pulses within my wrist.

“I hope it is…” I frown.

I had shown up on Shinya’s reaping list, meaning I could die at any moment. Kyo had wanted to stay out of my life and let me carry on something somewhat normal, but after hearing the news from his friend he had to do something. He was interfering with the nature of life itself, for me. My cheeks flush, recalling a dream I’d had.

He and I were in a meadow, the moon casting grey shadows on us. He sat behind me, wrapping his arms tightly around my body. “I want you to have something.” He whispered, resting his chin on my shoulder as he trailed his fingers down my inner arm. “You have to promise to take care of it.”

“Of course.” I breathe as he tenderly presses his thumb into my wrist, goosebumps raising on the skin. His tattoos swirl beneath a dark haze, mist encircling us, spiraling and spinning. I notice the mark on his thumb slowly disappearing when he moves the appendage to reveal that it was now on my own wrist. My heart felt heavy, but light at the same time.

“This is my soul.” He whispers into my neck, weaving our fingers together. I could feel my lips tugging into a smile as he breathed cooly against my skin. I can feel his lips turn into a smile on my neck, and I close my eyes, not willing to miss a minute of this. My heart felt as though it was full and floating, and his beat along with mine.


Kyo had confirmed that this dream was actually a memory.

“I gave you part of my soul, so that we would always be together and I could watch over you. I can feel your heart inside of me, feel your emotions, sense your thoughts, and understand your pain. I will know when you are frightened, when you are happy, or heartbroken. And I will always be there for you.”

His voice rang in my ears, making my heart pound in my chest. I glanced back toward him to see that he was staring at me, brow cocked coyly.

“Get your mind out of the gutter.” He teases, causing my ears to flare with embarrassment.

“It is not in the gutter!” I lie, returning to the dinner that was now burning in front of me. “Ah! Look what you made me do!!” I complain, Kyo laughing heartily behind me. “Ugh! Just stay out of my head!” I cry, face flushed red in embarrassment.

XOXOXOX


“You should be going to bed Ai.” Kyo insists, a frown plastered on his face. He stands leaning against the doorway to my room, inked arms crossed over his small torso.

“But I’m not tired.” I lie, yawning. He rolls his eyes, moving to my side to tug the comforter to my shoulders.

“Close your eyes, and stop thinking about everything.” He demands, a playful tone to his voice.

“That’s easier said than done.” I huff. Just then, a brilliant idea comes to my mind. “Why don’t you tell me a bedtime story or something?” Kyo rolls his eyes, pausing to think for a moment.

“Once upon a time there was a village, everybody died, the end. Now sleep!” He narrows his eyes as I pout defiantly.

“That was a horrible story Kyo!” He merely shrugs, turning to leave. “Wait! Will you sing to me?” I prod, noticing that he stops. He stands in place momentarily before his voice reaches my ears.

“Nope.” I could hear the smirk in his voice as he disappeared into the doorway. I frown dejectedly, burrowing beneath the blankets. But I could hear a hesitant murmur from the hallway, gently flowing into a soft melody. I couldn’t help but smile as he sang me to sleep.

I woke to the sound of glass shattering, bouncing off the floor from the window pane. My eyes opened to the sight of a figure bolting toward me. It screamed in both pain and rage. Its seared skin boils and drips to the floor. A mop of messy hair hangs in front of her face, but I recognize at once who it is.

Kyo is at my side in seconds, throwing the creature out the door and down the stairs. He chases after her, and I after him. But we both find the end of the stairwell to be empty. She vanished just as quickly as she appeared.

“Kixx…” I mutter. Kyo looks to me, worry evident in his eyes.

“This isn’t good.” He sighs.

XOXOXOX


“Are you going to be okay?” He questions. The sky slowly turns lighter, and I worry the longer he stays.

“I’ll be fine. Just go home Kyo. I don’t want your death weighing on my conscience.” I sigh.

“It’s just an allergy.” He assures, making me shake my head.

“I highly doubt you have a sun allergy.” I roll my eyes, making him smirk. “Can she walk in daylight?”

“I’m not sure.” He answers truthfully, “I don’t know what she is.” His voice trails off as he looks around the porch quickly, nose raised in the air.

“Do you…smell something?” I question, brows furrowing. He nods, moving to the sidewalk. I follow him, looking to spot a large bird hanging in the sky above my home. It swims throughout the clouds, far too high for any normal bird.

“What is he doing back?” Kyo mutters, bouncing onto the porch roof and climbing to the tip of my home.

“Get down! You’re going to bust through my roof!” I yell. Suddenly, the bird swoops, diving straight for us. It grows larger and larger, and suddenly I spot a pair of limbs, two pairs, and a head. This creature was no bird. He hovers right over my lawn, dark hair bouncing in the air and bright wings shining with gold light.

“I leave for two weeks, and you already have zombies tailing after you? What the hell?!” He laughs, eyes gleaming in their usual lighthearted manner.
♠ ♠ ♠
Laaaame, I know, sorry :( But let me know what you think regardless!