‹ Prequel: Beasts

Pandemonium

Rinkaku

“Die? What are you doing back? Don’t tell me you already got banished again!” Kyo exclaims, surprise in his crimson eyes. The taller man chuckles, a grin plastered on his face. His golden wings shimmer in the sunlight before he tucks them away into his back.

“Nah. The big man said I was being a pain in his ass, so I’ve got guardian duty for a while.” He shrugs, raven and red hair sweeping in front of his eyes. He then beams, turning to me. “Ai! You look awful! Who dressed you?!” He teases, making me frown disapprovingly.

“Myself?” I answer, raising a brow. I don’t know who this man is…I assume he is the angel in my dreams, seeing the exchange between him and Kyo.

“Oh, I almost forgot!” He squeaks, quickly stepping into me and scooping up my frame. Before I can stop him, he presses his soft lips to my own, my eyes growing wide with surprise. A fire ignites in my mind, bringing back and onslaught of lost time. It’s like a tidal wave hitting my body, and part of me is glad this angel was holding me to his own body so tightly. I could feel his body melting to mine as he was enjoying this kiss a bit too much.

“Die!” I squawk pushing myself away, slapping him across the face. I fought to stay on my own two feet, and was glad to feel a familiar pair of strong arms holding me upright. Kyo tucked me into his chest, his heart beating with rage as his tattoos swirled in disgust.

“Sorry, I guess I got a bit carried away.” Die mutters, scratching his head as if being scolded. My face still burned red with embarrassment and anger, but I now realized his “kiss” brought back my memory.

“Why did everything come back just now?” I question, trying to push the prior event from my mind. Kyo’s grip on me loosened as I tested my balance.

“I took your memories with me,” Die shrugs, “I thought you would be better off without them. Boy was I wrong! You’ve been a train wreck!” Die shakes his head, but I tune out his words. I focused on piecing together everything in my mind. It was like a thousand piece puzzle.

I knew these two, they were like family. No, they were family. Die was the friend I could turn to and trust. He brought me underground after a deal he’d made with Kixx. He watched over and protected me. He loved me.

And Kyo…I didn’t know where to begin with Kyo. He was a mystery, and yet, I knew everything about him. He gave his heart and soul to me, and held me above all else. I’d fallen for him, and yet, he betrayed me when he…when he murdered Kixx. I felt my heart drop after realizing the lies he’d fed me.

I stepped away from Kyo and closer to Die. He seemed to notice my sudden change of heart.
“I did it to protect you...” Kyo whispers, his eyes sullen.

“Even so, you didn’t need to lie to me…” I mutter, looking away from him. Die rests his warm hand on my shoulder, squeezing gently. I can feel Kyo’s rage, betrayal, and desperation tugging at my heart, pleading with me to understand. “Just give some time.” I whisper.

“…I have to go.” He sighs, reminding me of the impending sunrise. I look to wish him farewell, but he is already gone.
XOXOXOX


“Was I cold?” I question Die, brushing my fingers through his shimmering wings as he lays, purring contently on the floor in front of me. The television hums gently, masking our conversation.

“Mm…You were a bit of an Ice Princess.” He shrugs, his dark, lazy eyes meeting mine. I frown, disappointed with myself.

“You’re not supposed to tell me the truth.” I grumble. He smiles gently, shuffling closer.

“You have to think in Kyo’s point of view. He’s lived alone for thousands of years, and you came along to burst his little bubble.” He teases, nudging my calf, “He knows if something endangers you or something important to you, you get rid of it. It’s basic nature. He saw Kixx as a threat, to the one and only person who means the world to him. Scratch that, who is the world to him. He wouldn’t let anything harm you.” I couldn’t help looking to Die, surprise in my eyes.

“Do you think he’d give his soul to any woman?” Die chuckles, making me glance down at my wrist, smiling tenderly at the mark he left me. Die does make some good points occasionally. “Do you love him?” He questions, making my face grow red instantly.

“What?! He’s just a good friend!” I stutter as he smirks wildly, that devilish gleam in his eyes.

“You can’t get anything past an angel my dear.” He teases, nudging my side. “I’m going to tell him!!!”

“No! Don’t!!!” I complain.

“So you’re not denying it?! Ai’s in Loooove!”

“Die!”I whine. “You’re still the worst guardian angel in history!”
XOXOXOX


The sun finally sank in the horizon as I stood on the front porch, Die at my side. I felt Kyo coming from miles away. His heart beat in nervous anticipation, as did mine. He wasn’t sure weather he should be excited, angry, or remain in the shadows. I couldn’t help smiling.

“I’m still jealous.” Die mutters, stamping his feet. I glanced over at him, noticing how he watched me.

“You’re my best friend Die.” I smile, “And I’ll always love you.” He still huffs, shoving his hands in his pockets and kicking his feet. “Maybe we can go flying tomorrow.” I smirk, noticing the smile form on his lips.

“I thought you’d say that.” He chuckles, eyes on the road as Kyo’s form comes into view. “And don’t worry, I won’t tell him.” He chuckles, quickly pecking my forehead and taking off into the night sky. Kyo is by my side in seconds, and I feel my heart thrum as I look into his smoldering eyes.

“Would you like to come inside?”

XOXOXOX

Kyo’s POV


“Aren’t you tired?” I questions, noticing how her eyes fight to stay open as the television hums in the background.

“Not a bit.” She lies. I sighs, taking her small frame into my arms, cradling her.

“You’re a terrible liar.” I whisper, carrying her up the stairs and laying her in bed with a silent thud. I cover her body, pausing to move a lock of hair from her face. I notice her smile tenderly as I turn to leave.

“Stay with me.” She whispers, gently tugging on my sleeve. I could feel my heart beat excitedly, but I hesitate. “Please?” She pleads. I couldn’t say no to her. I crawl under the sheets, wrapping her fragile body in my arms. She feels so right being here. “Tell me a story?” I couldn’t help chuckling.

“You’re so demanding.” I tease, going through stories in my mind as she waits patiently.

“There once was a singer. He was unlike other singers. He hated music, and yet, it came naturally to him.

‘Why would anyone hate something that came so naturally to them?’ Not even the singer knew.
He found himself asking this question, and soon that was the only thing on his mind. He had no wishes, no desires, he didn’t even know what to sing next. And so, he began seeking help answering this question, believing it would allow him to move on.

One night, he met a dark, shadowy figure who claimed to have all the answers in the world.

‘Figure, why do I hate music?’ He began to ask. But the figure stopped him.

‘You must catch me first, then I will answer your question.’ So, he chased the figure. He chased and chased him throughout the darkness. He chased the figure into Hell, where the figure finally gave up.

‘I cannot answer your question,’ the figure admitted. ‘But, if you are so unhappy, why don’t you switch me places? Look at all I have.’

And so, the singer looked around. The shadowy figure had riches, women, food, everything you could desire. Surely, if you have everything you could desire, then you would be happy. And so, the singer accepted the figure’s offer.

They switched places. The figure became the singer, and disappeared into the light. The singer, however, could not go into the light. He found that the figure’s riches were all false. The figure was, in fact, a demon. All the singer now had, was the darkness. He had been tricked. He cursed the figure, but more so, he cursed himself. It had been his foolishness all along.”


I noticed that Ai snored soundly as I told my story, her colorful face just as bright even in the cover of night. I smiled gently to myself, realizing that this was all the light I needed.

Suddenly, I heard a scream outside. It was a woman calling for help. I could also smell fresh blood, a lot of it. I quickly bolted from the bed and out the door, tracking down the victim. I was too late. A young girl laid in front of me, her skin cold blue with blood draining from her neck. Her eyes stared at me in pain and fear. I shook my head, covering my nose before running back to the house.

“Ai?” I question, finding her bed empty. The window was open, wind gusting in gently. I couldn’t smell or feel her. “Ai?!” I called again, panic in my voice. She was nowhere to be found.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the delay! Please let me know what you think :)