This Lie I Can't Pretend

There is a

I never went farther than ten minutes from the shelter. This was the longest trip I had ever made. 20minutes longer than the ususal ten. We stopped everynow and then, so I could breathe, the boy i had to carry was much bigger than me. Finally we were there, I signaled Ben to open the door. We walked inside, warm air surrounded us. I took in a deep breath, it smelled of soup, I smiled, getting out of the cold was a blessing.
"Ben, go wait over there, I have to bring him somewhere." I whispered, poitning over to one of the tables. He nodded and imediatley obeyed. I struggled not to slip on the linolium floors, i had already given him quite a head injury, last thing i needed was to kill him, or break a few of his bones. I made it around the corner and saw one of the volunteers. It was my best friend. She had convinced the shelter that we needed someone streetsmart, stong, and kind to stay out there to keep an eye out for all the others. Her argument got me a job and kept many kids in my situation out of a grave, away form rapists and away form drugs.
"Emily, I kinda gave this one a blow to the head for attacking my new arrival. Hes, still out, hehe" I kind of muffled the last part of it. I get in trouble a bit for hitting them on the head. She laughed and shook hers.
"Mariah, you arent supposed to knock them out silly. Theres a bed right over here, we'll take care of him." She supressed a laugh. We both gasped after we put him on his bed and his eyes shot open. He looked dazed. No wonder, I had just punched him in the head not long ago.
"Where am I? Ugh my head." He whined. Holding on hand at his temple.
"Well, thats what you get for attacking people, emily, get him a hot water bottle or an asprin. She nodded and walked away, I heard her laugh. I told him to rest here and that emily would take care of him, i needed to check on Ben, we could get our food and money, and forget all about the black haired attacker.