And Love Walked In

Rome Haynes

I glare at the only customer sitting the shop, he's on his fourth cup of latte while he types away on his expensive laptop, not a care in the world as he plays solitaire like there's no one depending on him for anything. I refrain myself from jumping over the counter and choking the poor man so I head to the back. No one is working right now other than me, and no one comes to this shitty coffee shop anyway. Of course unless they're looking for cheap coffee and a truly quite place to stay.

I pull out a book from my messenger bag and begin reading The Art of War, it was the last gift from my father before he disowned me. Although I hate my father, I still cherish this because it reminds me that he loved me when he gave it to me. Oddly sometimes it's what gets me through the day. I turn the ratty pages as I sit in the beat down couch, my fingers are twisting a bottle cap as I read the book, my mind not grasping the words as I once did. I probably know this book better than the author, I've read it to many times to count.

"Anyone here?" a deep voice calls from the front counter. I sigh and set my book down before stepping into the shop.

A man stands there with a hat pulled over his head hiding most of his face and hair. That wasn't what freaked me out, what scares me is the fact that he's holding a gun, pointing directly to me. My only customer was gone, and I wonder if he went to get help. Doubt it. "Open the register and take out all the money and I won't hurt you." he says his voice shaking.

I couldn't get my feet to function as I stare at the gun with my mouth slightly open making me look like a fish.

"Don't just stand there go open it." he screams waving the gun at me.

I take a shaky deep breath and walk to the register opening it with shaky hands. He instantly pushes me away and gathers all the money, even the pennies. Sirens sound through the street and he glances to me pulling his hat up slightly to expose his vivid dark green eyes. "Is there a back door?" he asks.

I nod pointing behind me to room I was just in watching as he jumps the counter and escapes. Once I hear him gone I fall to the floor, my whole body shaking with fear. I release a breath I didn't even know I was holding in. Police men come into the shop holding guns out and searching, I peek over the counter and sigh.

The rest of the day went by in a blur, I do remember going to gather my things and finding my backpack gone. I remember cursing at no one, at the robber for taking what ever I had left. My money, 500 dollars. My clothes, two shirts and three jeans. Police men asked me what was wrong and I told them the robber took my things only leaving my book. "There's nothing we can do about that sir." was all the said before telling me to leave the shop.

I walk along the streets of San Francisco clutching my book in my hands. The wind blew around me as I wrapped my arms tighter around my torso. My stomach grumbles begging me for food, anything. "Sorry tummy." I mumble looking down at my non-existent stomach. "I'm sorry I'm a fucking failure."
♠ ♠ ♠
lol another new story,
what the fuck is wrong with me i keep starting all these stories.