And Love Walked In

Rome Haynes

I walk down the street back to the park. I convinced Mel to give me today off because I thought I was going to spend it with Emerson, but then I had to kiss him which caused him to freak out. He looked so scared, like I was going to attack him or something. I sigh and run my hands through my hair before walking to a pay phone. I pull out some extra change and dial my parent's old phone number, wondering if they still have the same number.

"Hello." I soft voice answers.

"Hey is um Mrs. Haynes there?" I ask picking at some sticker attached to the side of the payphone.

"This is she." she replies sounding slightly bored, but I could see hear her confusion in her voice.

"It's Rome, Rome Haynes. You know your son you disowned." I tell her although I know she knows who I am after I said my name.

"May I help you?" she asks like she's talking to a client or telemarketer.

"Yeah I just want to talk to you, say hi and ask a few question." I say.

"Ok."

"Do I have a baby sister?" I ask chewing on my bottom lip.

"Yes."

"What's her name?"

"Romania." I smile of course my parents would name her something like that.

"How old?"

"Two."

I fell silent after that. I didn't care much about how my father was doing, and quiet frankly not my mother as well. I just wanted to know if I have a sister so if I can I can go look for her in the future when she's older and can make her own decisions.

"How are you Rome?" my mom asks softly and I could hear her motherly tone seeping through.

"I'm managing." I mumble.

"Where are you know?" she asks.

As I'm about to answer the time on the payphone finishes. I'm about to put in more money, but decide against it. Instead I walk to Pier 39 and sit on a bench overlooking the water. Pier 39 is crowded today, of course it always is on a Saturday. It's littered with tourist from just over the bridge from across the country. I watch as people walk by, some young couples. A family with a couple kids, even an old couple holding hands as they wait for a fairy to take them to Alcatraz.

I imagine what today would be like if Emerson could of sneaked out with me. I would of taken him to dinner with the money Mel gave me, treat him for ice-cream or take him out somewhere. I wouldn't of kept locked up like his family does.

As I think of Emerson I remember what happened this morning, when I went to visit him. He looked so scared when I was going to kiss him, like I was out to hurt him. I frown at the thought of ever hurting Emerson, the thought of someone else hurting him. I contemplate going to visit him again but decide he needs some alone time.

That night I end up sleeping on the bench on Pier 39 overlooking the water, no matter how cold I get.
♠ ♠ ♠
it's been a while. but...i started college...big deal to me and i got a writing class.