And Love Walked In

Rome Haynes

I hand the women her coffee before heading behind the counter. I open up a magazine that Mel left behind along with a shit load of books and other reading material. I flip through the pages reading about celebrity gossip that really doesn't change my life any. I yawn lightly and begin to read an article about Brad Pitt. "R-Rome?" I look up and see Emerson standing there. He's drowning himself in a hooide and he looks like he got no sleep last night. "Hey." he whispers bashfully sitting on a stool in front of me as I hand him a cup of coffee.

"Hey how have you been?" I ask watching as he stare down at his cup sadly. I frown lightly and watch as tears dip from his eyes. "Should I assume you're not doing well?" I ask reaching for his hands and holding them in my own.

"Sorry." he mumbles. "I'm just-I don't even know." he sighs his shoulders slumping as he holds my hands tightly.

"You can tell me anything you know that right?" I remind him running my thumb over his hand soothingly. He nods softly and begins to chew on his bottom lip, he opens his mouth to say something buy quickly closes it and look away. "You don't have to tell me now." I tell him.

He looks up to me with relief. "Thanks." he whispers as he takes a small sip of his coffee. Through out the day I find myself glancing at Emerson. He spends most the day reading a book he found in Mel's collection.

The end of the day was nearing and I start cleaning up the shop. I start sweeping the floor and hum along to random tunes. "Do you have a radio or something?" Emerson asks softly from the couch near the window.

"Um yeah I think Mel has some CD's and a stereo back there." I tell him continuing to sweep the floor. Minutes later The Maine is playing, I smile and look up to Emerson. He's sitting on the counter holding the CD in his hand with humming along softly.

"This is my favorite band." he tells me when he notices me starring at him.

"Mine to, well I mean it was but I haven't heard much of them recently." I say shrugging my shoulders as I lift chairs onto the table.

"Why's that?" Emerson asks softly.

"Just ya'know there's other things in life more important than music." I say pressing my lips together as I finish sweeping.

"I have something for you." Emerson says after moments of silent. I stop what I'm doing and look over to him watching as he reaches into his back pocket and pulls out a small paper back book. He searches around the counter finding a pen and scribbling something in it before handing it to me.

I take the book and flip it around to read the cover, The Catcher In the Rye. "What's this for?" I ask as I open the book cover to read what Emerson wrote but he quickly closes the cover.

"Don't read it yet, um read it later." He says blushing lightly. "But you should give it a read." he mumbles softly picking at the hem of his shirt.

"I will." I smile looking down at the book and smiling.

Suddenly his phone rings and he looks down to slightly disappointed. I watch as he answers it his face falling with sadness. I continue picking up the chairs and setting them on the table until I'm done. "I'll b-be there." Emerson mumbles as he hangs up. He looks to me with wide eyes as he stuffs his hands in his pockets. "I n-need to go." he mumbles glancing down to his feet.

I set the broom aside and walk over to him and lift his chin with my fingers. "I'll come see you tonight." I tell him brushing away a tear from his cheek.

"Y-you don't have to." he mumbles gazing into my eyes.

"I want to." I insist.

He nods softly and smiles, "Then I'd like that."

That night before going to visit Emerson I went to a park and sat on a bench. I pull out Emerson's book and open the cover,

Rome,

Maybe this book will help you to.

-Emerson.


I smile and flip to the first page,

"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth."

I look away from the book and to the busy streets, maybe Emerson is trying to tell me something. I read almost half the book before going to visit Emerson. I walk along the empty streets only lite by street lamps before arriving to Emerson's grand home. I climb up the fire escape and lightly knock on Emerson's window.

Emerson opens up a minute later. I smile lightly at him as I step into the dark, cold room, "Hey." I whisper wrapping my arms around his waist giving him a tight hug. "Why's it so dark in here? And cold, don't you have a heater?" I ask fumbling around the room to turn on the lights.

"Please don't." Emerson whimpers reaching for me and holding me back. "Please don't turn on the lights." he adds holding me close to him.

"Emerson what's wrong, what's bothering you?" I ask holding him closely.

"I c-can't take it a-anymore." he sobs clinging onto me.

I feel my heart clench at the words, he can't take what anymore? "What's going on Emerson, you need to tell me so I can help." I plead.

Emerson pulls away from me and wanders around the room. Seconds later the light turns on and Emerson turns to me, exposing me his beaten body and face. I gasp at the sight and walk toward him, cautiously. "Em." I whisper softly binging him into my arms as I feel tears drop from my eyes. "Em who did this to you?" I ask.

I always suspected this was happening, from the day I met him. But it still hurts, hurts to see all the bruises on his face and body. God those bruises, the hurt even me.

"My grandfather." he mumbles.

I wish I have a home, an apartment to take him to. To keep him safe so no one could hurt him, where I could hold him love him and kiss him. "I-I Em you need to tell someone." I whisper brushing my fingertips along his brusies.

"I told you."

"No Emerson you need to tell someone that can help you, your mother or a police man. Someone that will put a stop to this."

"No one will care." Emerson hisses and it's the first time I hear him so upset, so annoyed. "My mother sometimes watches like it's live entertainment. The maids and butlers are to afraid to lose such a well paying job, afraid to get on my grandfathers or father's bad side. And what will the police do? He'll buy them off, pretend it's not happening. He'll lie." Emerson says slipping to the floor emotionally and physically drained.

I walk over to him and bring him into my arms and laying him on the bed. I pull his blankets over his frail body and kiss the top of his head softly before curling in next to him. Immediately Emerson curls into my side holding onto my dirty t-shirt. "Just sleep alright, I'll be here when you wake up I promise." I whisper kissing his forehead once more watching as he slowly slips to sleep.

All night one thought continues to run through my mind,

I need to save Emerson.