And Love Walked In

Emerson Farrow

I get home later than I thought I would. Although the cafe was close I'm dreading going home to face my parents. While I was spending possible the greatest time with Rome I completely forgot about my tutoring lessons. I near my home and look up at the home, it's a beautiful home like the typical San Francisco homes look only mine is grander. I walk up the steps and open the dark wooden door stepping into the warm home.

"You are in big trouble Emerson." My mom says grabbing my arm roughly as she drags me into the formal living room where my grandfather, father and tutor are sitting. I bite my lip and walk in pulling my arm away from my mom, she probably left a bruise.

"Where were you." My father asks setting his book down and glaring at me.

"Out."

"You are not allowed out." My grandfather says resting his hands on his lap. "You will be punished for this Emerson, go to your room." he adds dismissing me. I hurry to my room slamming the door behind me. I rush to my pillow grabbing it and cursing into it, screaming and yelling and crying. Always crying.

I pull away and look to my arm remembering how roughly my mother handled me. I shrug off my coat and look at my upper arm noticing that it was bruising. I sigh and fall onto my bed suddenly remembering Rome and the book he gave me. I pull up my shirt lightly pulling Rome's book from the waistband of my jeans. It was the only place to keep it hidden from my parents and grandfather. I open the book noticing someone had written in it before Rome.

Rome,

I hope you enjoy this book, I know it's not much for your 17th birthday and you must be expecting more. This book helped me through the hard times in life and I hope it does the same to you.

With Love, Dad.


I press my lips together, so Rome's dad gave this to him for his 17th birthday. I re-read the words over and over, this book has helped Rome's father through the hard times. Maybe it helped Rome through his hard times. Maybe Rome wants it to help me through my hard times.

My eyes fell on the writing beneath it, the writing Rome wrote.

Emerson,

I know I just met you and I don't know you. As my dad said this book helped him through hard times and it helped me. I can see your struggling, I don't know how I just can and I hope this helps you.

And if you ever need to talk you can always find me at the park just down the street from the cafe.

Love, Rome.


I smile run my fingers over the book cover and through the pages feeling the rough paper under my finger tips. I couldn't help but notice how ratty this book is, it looks like it's been through a lot. Someone sudden knocks on my door and I quickly place the book under my pillow. "Come in." I say.

My tutor walks in holding a bunch of books and notebooks. "We should start your lesson now." he says walking to my desk and setting up. I follow after him taking a seat next to him letting my mind drift to Rome.

Hours later I finally finish my lesson and I dismiss my tutor. I tell my family I'll be going to bed, but they ignore me. Once I'm certain they won't come to bother me I change into some jeans and a coat before climbing out my window and down the fire escape. I head to the park that Rome told me I can always find him at, which now that I think of it I find odd. How will he always be there? No matter the time or day? Doesn't he have a family or home to go to?

I walk into the park looking for Rome's familiar face but it's growing dark and it's harder to tell people apart. I pass guy laying on a bench thinking he must be a homeless guy, "Emerson you came?"

I look back to the guy on the bench and see Rome's beautiful face under the moonlight. "What are you doing here?" I ask softly sitting next to him noticing how he's shivering. I frown and pull off my coat handing it to him, "Take this." I say.

"I can't." he shakes his head not wanting to expect it. "Besides you'll die of frostbite." he chuckles making me smile.

"Let's go get something to eat, I'm starving." I say standing up and looking to Rome who doesn't budge. "Come on I'll pay." I insist just wanting Rome's company.

"You can't." he says shaking his head causing his hair to fall in his eyes.

"But I want to, besides it looks like you haven't eaten in years." I joke, but Rome doesn't laugh which causes me to worry. "Have you eaten?" I ask as sudden realization hits me.

"Not recently no." he says shrugging his shoulders.

"Then lets go." I say extending my hand for him to take. He looks at it for awhile before molding his hand with mine and allowing me to lead him to my favorite restaurant.

We arrive to the restaurant and we both take seats across from each other. Throughout dinner I tell Rome about my family, how strict and poise they are and I find myself venting to Rome. "What about you?" I ask as I take a bite of my food. "Tell me about your family."

Rome visibly stiffens at the mention of his family and I wonder why. "Well um I have a mother and father." he says softly now picking at his food. "I think I have a younger sister." he says uncertainly.

"You think?" I ask with a teasing smile.

"I haven't talked to them in almost three years." he whispers looking down at his plate like he's ashamed.

"I'm sorry."

"It's not even your fault, don't apologize to something you didn't do." he says looking at me with an amused smirk.

Once we both finish dinner Rome walks me home, I offer to walk him but he replies, "Your the little boy that needs to get home safely." We arrive to my window just above the fire escape and I turn to Rome.

"This was like a date." I tel him blushing lightly and I thank god it's dark and he could barely see me under the street lights.

"Yeah, kinda." he adds. "But on first dates I always seal the date with a goodnight kiss." he says and I'm expecting a kiss, only he doesn't kiss me.

Instead he wraps his arms around me and hugs me tightly whispering a soft goodnight in my ear before disappearing into the darkness leaving me confused.
♠ ♠ ♠
yeah i'm obsessed with this story and i've written up to chapter eight and it's the only thing i feel like doing right now.
thanks to Hot Chelle Rae and jennylake74