And Love Walked In

Emerson Farrow

I sit on my bed re-reading The Art of War. My face is sore and I feel alone, alone with out the comfort of Rome. I don't understand how I've know him for such a short amount of time and I've already grown close to him and trust him. I feel my eyes growing tired so I set the book down and turn off my beside lamp. I curl against my blankets and close my eyes. I could hear sirens outside and car horns which keeps me awake although I'm tire. I could hear my parents arguing in their room which is next to mine. I glance to my clock, it's almost midnight. Their yelling becomes louder and then there's a loud crash causing me to jump.

I reach for my iPod and slip in the small ear buds before letting the music fill my ears and block out the sound. I let my mind wander as I think of what my life would be like if I haven't grown up like I had. What would it be like if my parents weren't rich? What would it be like if my parents weren't stuck ups? What would it be like if I grew up normally, going to public school and meeting people rather then being home schooled?

I awoke late the next morning, at almost nine in the morning. I sigh and sit up running my hands through my hair before rubbing my eyes. "Emerson!" my dad calls from down stairs. I quickly get out of bed and slip on a hoodie before walking down the grand stair case. I stop at the end of the staircase and look to my dad. "Did you learn your lesson?" he asks taking a step closer to me. He reaches out and brushes my bruised face, almost like he's proud of the marking he left on me. "Did that teach you to not back talk to me." he adds digging his finger nails into my cheek and dragging them down.

I hold back a whimper, "Yes." I say.

"Good." he says pushing me back up the stairs. I trip over my own feet and fall on the stairs whimpering at the collision. I pull myself up and glance to my dad who's no longer standing there anymore. I walk up the stairs passing by a maid who had just witnessed the whole thing. She looks at me with sad eyes, and she opens her mouth the say something but turns away instead.

I frown and go into my room, my bed is already made so I head into the bathroom to shower. I glance into the mirror starring at my reflection, blood is dripping down cheek so I wipe it away with the back of my hand before stripping my clothes and stepping into the shower.

&


"Did you do your homework?" My tutor asks as we settle in the dinning room.

"No." I say softly. I went with Rome to dinner and forgot about the assignment I was supposed to do. "Please don't tell my father." I beg looking up to him.

He looks down at me and I could see the guilt filling his eyes. He knows what my father does to me, but as everyone else that works for my dad is forced to not say a word. "I won't." he says pulling out a book. "Only because it looks like he did enough damage to you." he adds his eyes flickering to the bruise covering almost half my face.

My lessons go on for most of the day and my father comes home earlier than expected. He walks through the dinning room stopping behind me, looking over my shoulder and I solve some math equations. "Is he doing well?" my dad asks.

"He missed one assignment." Mr. Hold says and I look over to him with fear. He promised he wouldn't tell my father about that. Mr. Hold shrugs his shoulders at me then looks to my father.

"We'll discuss this later Emerson." Father says heading into his office.

"Why?" I ask looking to Mr. Hold. "You promised."

"You know I can't lie to you dad." he tells me as he gathers his things. He runs his hand through his hair in a distressed manner. He knows what will happen to me the moment he walks out that door. "Maybe tonight you will actually do your homework." he says before leaving.

I hear the front door close as it echos through the house. My hands begin to tremble as I hear my dad coming out his office. My breathing become irregular as he enters the dinning room. "I thought you learned your lesson Emerson." he says taking a step closer to me causing me to take a step back. "I really thought you did." he says backing me against a wall.

"I did dd, I promise." I whimper.

"You obviously lied." he sighs almost like he doesn't want to do this to me, like he doesn't want to hurt me but he has to.

Like he's obligated to hurt his only son.