And Love Walked In

Emerson Farrow

I lay in bed looking up at my ceiling. My body and face is sore and I just wish to be in the arms of Rome. I could see the sun peeking into my room telling me it's almost morning. I decide to get up early and take a shower. I gather my clothes for the day, a baby blue button up and some dark black jeans before heading to the bathroom to dress.

Once I finish getting ready I head downstairs to the dinning room. My parents and grandfather are sitting around the table already eating breakfast. I take a seat next to my mother, she doesn't even glance at me. A maid come as sets a plate in front of me, a plate filled with eggs, pancakes and bacon. I begin to eat, keeping to myself most of the time. "We have some news Emerson." My mom says as she pushes her plate away. "Your father and I will be going on a trip to attend business." she tells me glancing to me.

She doesn't look into my eyes, instead she's staring at the bruise adorning my face. She quickly gains her composer, "Your grandfather will be watching over you, your sister has returned to college already." she tells me.

I get nervous, although I'm scared of my father my grandfather is much worse. I take a deep breath and smile, "Alright." I say taking a sip of my drink.

My parents finish breakfast quickly and head to work leaving me alone with my grandfather. No one is in the room and I've lost my appetite. Suddenly my grandfather stands up and makes his way to me. He rests his hand behind my neck, "If you think your father is bad," he starts his fingers wrapping tightly around my neck cutting off my breathing. "I'm much worse." he hisses keeping his tight grip.

I try to pry his hands off me but he won't budge. He finally releases me and I gasp for air glancing up at him. I watch as he walks off leaving me completely alone. I let a few tears fall before quickly wiping them away and hurrying to my room. I close the door behind me and run to my bed grabbing my pillow and screaming into it. I pull away and run my hands over my face. I'm tempted to go visit Rome and just vent to him, but I won't risk missing another lesson with my tutor. At least not with my grandfather watching over me.

"Emerson Mr. Hold is here." a maid calls from outside my room. I put myself together wiping the tears from my eyes and heading down stairs. Mr. Hold is standing there waiting for me, he gasps when he sees me. "Was this because of me?" he asks as we walk to the dinning room to being lessons.

"No." I lie. Why make his guilt worse?

I look to Mr. Hold, he's a young guy no older than 25. He has dirty brown hair that's always combed to perfection and hazel green eyes. "I feel like it is." he objects looking over to me with sad eyes. I sigh and hand him my homework before we start our lesson.

Half way through my lesson my grandfather walks in. He takes a seat across from me and watches me as I write a paper for Mr. Hold. I begin to feel nervous under his gaze and glance to Mr. Hold hoping he could tell my grandfather to go. "Sir maybe it's best we don't distract Emerson." Mr. Hold tells my grandfather.

My grandfather glances to me before standing up and leaving the room. I sigh and relax again before quickly finishing my paper to conclude the lesson. "I'll grade this for Monday." he tells me as he puts his things away.

"Emerson." my grandfather says entering the room. "I'll be accompanying some friends for dinner tonight so you can eat what ever is left in the fridge." he tells me as he leaves the house. I sigh and pick at the table waiting for Mr. Hold to leave so I can wallow in my own self-pity.

"Why don't you join me for dinner tonight." Mr. Hold says resting his hand on my shoulder. I flinch and look up to him not knowing what to say. "Come on it'll be good to get out." he says not knowing I sneak out to see Rome.

"Ok." I whisper blushing. "Let me go change." I say standing up about to hurry upstairs, but Mr. Hold grabs my hand. "You look fine."

"B-But my b-bruise." I mumble. "P-people will l-look at me." I tell him.

"How would you know?" he asks suddenly confused.

That's when I realize I got caught. "B-because um because." I mumble rubbing at my arms. "I um I uh it's obvious."

Mr. Hold stares at me for a while before nodding, "Let's go." he says leading me out the room.

Soon we're sitting in a nice restaurant across from each other. It's awkward to say the least, I've never been out with someone, well except Rome. "Mr. Hold?"

"Call me Karson." he says looking up to me and flashing a smile.

"Ok Karson, why did you tell my dad. Did you see what he did to me?" I ask gesturing to my face.

"If I lie to your dad he'll fire me, and you don't understand how much I need this job." he pleas reaching for my hands across the table and holding them tightly.

"E-even if it g-gets me hurt?" I ask feeling the tears drip from my eyes. I quickly wipe them away with the back of my hand.

"I wish I could do something, you know I do."

I sigh and glance out the window, and there standing outside was none other than Rome.