And Love Walked In

Rome Haynes

I decide to walk around instead of crashing on a park bench. I walk through the city looking through shops wishing I could afford the things I saw. Like those expensive Levi jeans, or those plaid shirts and nice jackets that look so warm and comforting. Then I walk by all the restaurants wishing I could just step inside and order a meal to eat without worrying about the price. I could smell all the good food cooking and I'm almost tempted to sneak into the back dumpsters to eat the leftover, or beg for them.

As I walk through the streets I glance across the street seeing a familiar figure sitting in the restaurant. I near the restaurant to confirm that Emerson was sitting in a fancy restaurant with a guy. I stand there looking at him ignoring the people pushing past me. Emerson looks up to me and then looks away before looking back up to me, like a deer caught in the headlights. He says something to the guy before walking out the restaurant to me, "R-Rome what are you doing here?"

"I don't know." I mumble almost embarrassed at the thought that I was going to eat from a garbage.

"I'm not on a date, please don't be mad at me." He says quickly almost begging me for my forgiveness.

"We're not together Emerson, you could do as you please." I laugh even though it kills me to see him with that guy.

Emerson nods softly, "It's not a date." he tells me again. "B-but I want to ask you something." he says looking back up to me. I nod signally him to continue, "C-come over to my place, my parents are out of town and I-I was thinking y-you should come over." he says stuttering lightly and blushing.

I smile and run my fingers along his bruised face, "What about your grandfather?" I ask softly caressing his cheek.

"We'll just sneak you in my room." he says blushing even more at the thought. I smile and give him a light hug before lightly pushing toward the restaurant doors. "Go in and finish eating." I tell him.

"Have you eaten anything?"

"Don't worry about me." I tell him pushing toward the door again. He sighs and look over to me, "I'll meet you at the park tomorrow morning."

That night I go to a McDonald's a buy some food off the dollar menu for my dinner before crashing on a park bench.