The Lonely Hearts Job

Chapter Ten: Emergency Trip Home

When Andi & Nate made it downstairs Andi noticed right away that her phone was buzzing on the table. 'Wonder who that could be?', she say's. 'I'll go see what's in the fridge while you check that.', say's Nate letting her hand go. Andi picks up her phone & immediately notices 15 missed calls, all from her sister. She has 5 voice mails & begins to check them. 'Andi, I hate to bother you because I know your taking care of Nate, but we need you here. Somethings happened, please come home.' & than the line goes dead. She doesn't bother checking the other's. Without a word to Nate she flies back upstairs, Nate notices & follows suit. Andi is packing a bag & is on her phone, 'Peoria Illinois. When is your earliest flight? Yes that's fine. Yes I have a credit card.' She goes to her purse & pulls out her wallet. She rattles off the number & than with a final thank you hangs up. 'What's going on?' 'I have to go.', she say's zipping her suitcase up. 'I don't understand.', say's Nate. 'Something's happened, Trina didn't say who or what happened but I need to go home. My flight leaves in an hour.', she say's rushing to their door. She rushes down the stairs & to the front door. 'Andi.', he say's. She stops & turns around. 'I'm sorry. I'll call when I can.', she say's & than with a peck on the cheek she turns & disappears into the hallway. A few minutes later she's banging on Sophie's door. Elliot answers, 'Hey.', he say's with a smile on his face. 'Could one of you drive me to the air port?', she say's. They all immediately frown. 'It's not that, Trina called, something's happened, I need to go home and my flight leaves in an hour.', she say's. 'I'll take you.', say's Elliot. 'Thank you.' He grabs his key's & Sophie grabs Andi & embraces her. 'Call okay?', she say's. 'I will. Please tell Nate I'm sorry.' & than they let go.

Elliot rushed Andi to the air port. He walked in with her & hugged her just before she got on the plane. 'Call when you can.', he say's. 'I will love you guy's.', she say's & with one last squeeze let's go & boards her plane. It feels like the plane takes day's to reach Peoria. When she lands she get's her bags & meets her sister outside. 'What happened?', asks Andi hugging her sister. 'Mom had a heart attack.', say's Trina as she & her sister get into the car. 'When did it happen?', asks Andi. 'Early this morning. It's been touch and go all day. I'm sorry for calling.' 'No, no your fine Trina. I need to be here.' They drive to the hospital in silence. When they get to the hospital her niece runs & Andi picks her up. 'Grandma's sick.' 'I know sweetie, but she'll be okay.', say's Andi hugging her tightly. She sets the little girl down & walks over to her Father sitting in a chair. 'You okay Papa?', she asks. He shakes his head yes & she sits next to him. Just than the doctor comes in. 'Good, your all here.', he say's. Andi stands up & walks to the doctor. 'What's going on with my Mother?', she asks. 'She's had a minor heart attack brought on by a blockage.' 'Okay.', say's Andi. 'We can do surgery to unblock the artery but it's going to take some time. Your Mom's blood pressure is high due to the heart attack and taking her in now could cause complication's.' 'So what, we wait for her blood pressure to go down?' 'If we wait any longer she could have a massive heart attack.', replies the doctor. 'So than what can you do?', say's Andi. 'We've given her some medicine to help bring her blood pressure down and were monitoring it now.', say's the doctor. 'How long ago did you give her the medicine?' 'About twenty minutes ago.' Andi looks around at her family & than back at the doctor. His name plate say's Carter. 'Thank you Dr. Carter, may I see my Mother?', she asks. 'Yes you may.', he say's & than walks away. Andi turns to look at her family. 'Anybody else coming?' 'She's only allowed one visitor at a time.', say's Trina. Andi turns back & heads for her Mom's door. A nurse meets her outside, 'Are you Andrea?', she asks. 'Yes I am.' 'She's been asking for you.', say's the nurse & than she steps away. She steps into her Mom's room & approaches the bed. 'Hi Mom.', she say's looking down at her. She takes her Mom's hand & pulls a chair up next to her. 'When did you get here?', asks Laurie. 'Just a few minutes ago. I came as soon as I could. I'm sorry I didn't get here sooner.' 'Your here now.', she say's squeezing her Mom's hand. Andi smiles at her trying to fight back the tears. 'I'm okay.', say's Laurie. 'The doctor say's as soon as your blood pressure goes down they'll do the surgery.', say's Andi. Laurie smiles at her daughter & than the silence creeps in.

'Why hasn't she called?', asks Parker staring at her phone for the 100th time. 'She'll call when she can.', say's Elliot. 'She's been gone over six hours now. She had to have made it there by now.' say's Parker. 'She's with her family Parker, have some patients.', say's Sophie. Their all sitting in Nate's apartment. He's upstairs, he hasn't been down since they got there & Sophie is beginning to worry. She get's up & heads for the stairs. 'I wouldn't.', say's Hardison. 'Well that's you.', say's Sophie climbing the stairs. She knocks on the door, 'Nate.' 'Unless your Andi, go away.', he say's. She opens & the door & steps into the room. A suitcase is sitting on the bed & he's staring at his phone. 'Has she called?', she asks him. 'No.' 'Than why are you staring at your phone? He shrugs his shoulders. 'You weren't thinking about calling to get a flight out of here were you?', she asks. 'What if I was?', he say's looking up at her. 'If Andi wanted you there she would had told you so before she left.', replies Sophie. 'Or maybe she didn't have a chance to.', he say's. 'Maybe so.' Just than Hardison comes bounding up the stairs & into the room. He hands his phone off to Nate. 'It's Andi.' He takes the phone & say's, 'Hello.' On her end she answers, 'Hey, sorry I didn't call your phone Hardison was the last call in my out going.' 'That's fine, how are you?', he asks just happy to hear her voice. 'I'm alright. Mom had a heart attack.' 'Is she alright?' 'Yeah, she's fine or will be, their prepping her for surgery.' 'Surgery?', say's Nate. 'Yeah she has a blocked artery, her blood pressure is finally down enough they can do the surgery.' Nate let's out a sigh of relief. 'That's good.' 'Yeah.' 'How long will you be out there?', he asks. 'As long as they need me.', she say's. He keeps thinking & finally say's, 'I'm getting a flight out tonight.' 'No, don't.', say's Andi. 'You need someone there in your corner too.' Andi pauses, this is the change she had been needing to see. 'Andi?', he say's fearing the line had gone dead. 'I'm here.', she say's & thinks to herself & finally say's, 'Get here as soon as you can.', she say's. 'I'll call now.', he say's. 'See you in a little bit.', she say's. 'I love you.', he say's to her. She is stunned as is Hardison & Sophie. 'I love you too. Bye.' & than the line goes dead.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took me so long to get a chapter up. Hope your all enjoying this story.

comment/subscribe