The Lonely Hearts Job

Chapter Five: The First Night

The day & evening went smoothly, Andi managed to give Nate his sponge bath & get him dinner without having any arguments or being to awkward. Nate had fallen asleep at around 10 & so Andi had taken the opportunity to look around the apartment for things she could do tomorrow to keep herself busy while Nate slept. She made out a grocery list, she knew all his favorite foods so the list didn't take to long to make. Her body exhausted from the day she finally fell asleep at 1:30. At 3 she was awaken by a loud thud coming from upstairs. She just about fell off the couch as she got up. She raised to the stairs & flew up them. 'Dammit.', she heard a voice as she sprinted towards Nate's door. She flew the door open & flipped on the light, when she did she saw Nate sitting on the floor. 'Are you okay?', she asked rushing to his side. 'Yeah, I'm fine.', he said grabbing his side. She lifted up his shirt to make sure no damaged had been done, the bandage was still in it's spot no sign's of being torn.

'What happened?', she asked. 'I had to use the bathroom.', he snapped at her. 'I'm sorry.', he said. 'It's okay, I know you didn't mean it. Are you sure your okay? Why didn't you call for me?', she asked. 'I'm sure I'm fine, because it was just like five steps to get to the bathroom, I thought I could make it.', he said. 'Well it's obvious you couldn't, here.', she said standing up & wrapping her arms around his body to help him get up. She helped him to the bathroom, 'I think I got it from here.', he said embarrassed by the fact that she had to help him get to the bathroom. 'Okay, but I'm waiting outside this door. When your done let me know and I'll help you back into bed.', she said. He didn't argue with her, he knew it was a fight he couldn't win. He nodded his head & she disappeared out the door. She sat on the bed waiting on him to finish his business & looked around the room. She was still amazed to find that he had kept up all their pictures. Her eye's fell on their first date, he had been so insistent on winning her a stuffed teddy bear at that booth at the carnival that he lost 20 bucks, but he had won it & there it was in the picture. That bear was now property of her niece Jakole. 'Andi.', she heard him say a minute later. She got up & went to the door. 'You done?', she asked. 'Yes.', he said back to her. She opened the door & when she held her hand out he took it.

She helped him back to bed & tucked him in. 'Thank you.', he said looking away from her. 'You're welcome.', she said back to him. She turned to go & he grabbed for her hand. She turned at his touch, 'Anything else?', she asked. 'Yes, will you stay?', he asked. 'I'll stay as long as you need, I told you that.', that's not what he had meant. 'No, I mean, will you stay? Here, with me?', he asked patting the bed. She thought about it & although it was an enticing offer she knew it wouldn't be right. But than again what harm would it do? He acted as if he really needed her to stay & she didn't want to hurt his feelings. 'Of course.', she said. She sat on the bed & he laid back. He held her hand still & she liked it. 'I'm glad your here.', he said. She smiled but his eye's were close & a minute later he had fallen back asleep. When she was sure he was out she got up & went to turn off the light. She knew she would never be able to sleep back downstairs so she crawled into bed with him & laid as close to him as she possibly could without hurting him. Just as she was about to fall asleep she felt his arm move & he once again entangled their hands together. A tear streamed down her cheek & she knew she was right where she belonged.