The Lonely Hearts Job

Chapter Seven: Follow Up

'How long have we been sitting here?', asks Nate from beside Andi who is reading a magazine. 'It's only been twenty minutes.', say's Andi flipping the page. 'Well my appointment was for ten, not ten twenty.' Setting the magazine down she looks over at him, 'Nate, it's Monday, most doctor office's are terribly busy on Monday, please stay calm, okay?' 'Fine.', say's Nate snatching a magazine from the table beside him. 'Nate?', calls a nurse stepping into the waiting area. 'Finally.', he whisper's under his breath, but Andi heard him. 'Right this way, so sorry to keep you waiting.', say's the nurse. 'That's quite alright, we understand, don't we dear?', asks Andi taking Nate's hand in her's. 'Yeah, not a problem.' 'If you'll just take a seat, I'll get your vitals.', say's the nurse ushering them into an exam room. After the nurse had taken his vital's & asked him question's she leaves telling them the doctor will be in shortly. 'I hope I can get out of the bed more than twice a day, it's driving me nuts.', say's Nate. 'Your not the only one who hopes that.', whispers Andi under her breath. 'What?' 'Nothing.', she say's with a smile on her face. A few minutes later the doctor comes in, 'Good morning Mr. Ford, Ms. Ramos, how are we doing this morning?' 'Just fine doctor.', replies Andi before Nate can make a snide remark. 'Let's take a look at your bandage, could you please get up on the table?', asks the doctor. Andi helps Nate take his shirt off, she's glad that she decided to put him in a button up shirt instead of a regular t-shirt. Before Andi can walk away Nate grabs for her hand. She stay's still & looks at him with a reassuring smile. After cleaning the wound the doctor cover's it back up with another gauze bandage. 'Looks wonderful!', he say's. 'That's surprising since I haven't been able to take a shower in over a week.', say's Nate. 'Well that's a think of the past. The wound has closed and the stitches fell out just like I knew they would. I want you to wear this home and you can take a shower tonight. However, I want it to stay covered, keep covering it for at least another week and I want to see you back in a week, alright?', say's the doctor. 'Not a problem.', say's Andi. 'Any question's?', asks the doctor. 'Yes, about this only being able to go downstairs twice a day.' 'Oh yes, you can go up and down the stairs as often as you'd like, but no lifting anything, not even a bag of grocery.', say's the doctor. 'Sounds good to me.', say's Nate. 'Okay, you are free to go. Just make sure you make an appointment at the nurses desk before you leave.', say's the doctor. 'Of course, thank's again doctor.', say's Andi. 'You're welcome.', he say's with a smile.

After the appointment Andi decided to take Nate out to lunch. She knew the appointment would go well & she was happy that for the most part she wouldn't have to cater to him all the time, but now the question was, would she stay? She knew he would be okay with Sophie, Parker, Hardison, & Elliot there to keep an eye out for him, but would they keep a close on him like she had? 'It'll be nice to get back to work.', say's Nate. Andi had drifted off after they had ordered their lunch but was now shocked back into reality. 'I don't think you should be working any time soon Nate.', she say's looking at him. 'Why not? You heard the doctor.' 'Yes I did and no where did I hear him say you could go back to work.' 'But.' 'No but's, you need to give yourself more time to heal. You were shot for God's sake!' 'I know, I just.' 'Nate, please, if not for yourself do it for Parker, Sophie, Elliot, and Hardison.' He thought about what she had said & he realized that he wouldn't be doing it for them but more for her. 'Alright, I'll take some more time off.' 'Alright.', she say's. Their food came & they ate in silence.

Once back to the apartment Nate went upstairs to lay down for a little while. The appointment & the outing had made him somewhat tired. Andi didn't want to admit it but it had tired her out too, so she fell out on the couch. Thirty minutes later she heard the front door open & voices come in. 'Be quiet, she's sleeping.', she heard Elliot say. 'Oh my bad.', she heard Hardison say. 'It's okay, I'm awake.', said Andi from the couch. 'See what you did!', snapped Elliot. Andi sat up & looked at them all. 'No your fine, I just wanted to rest for a little while.', she said smiling at them all. 'Where's Nate?', asked Sophie. 'Upstairs sleeping.', she said. 'Everything go okay?', she asked. 'Yeah fine, he can shower and go up and down the stairs. He just can't lift anything.' 'Sounds good.' 'Yeah, he has another appointment next Monday at noon, we just have to make sure he replaces his bandage after his shower's, which won't be a problem since.', but than she cut herself off. 'Since what?', asks Parker taking a seat by her on the ouch. 'Never mind, are you guy's hungry? I should probably make something.', she say's. 'No were good, thought we might grill out tonight.', say's Elliot. 'Sounds good to me, I'll run to the store.', say's Andi. 'I'll take you.', say's Sophie to her. 'If he wakes up, tell him I'll be back soon.', say's Andi looking towards the stairs. 'Not a problem.', say's Elliot & with that they were gone. 'What do you think she was going to say?', asked Hardison. 'I don't know.', say's Elliot. 'I think she might leave.', say's Parker. 'Don't say that.', snapped Elliot. 'Well.', say's Parker with a shrug of her shoulders.

'Do you know yet what you want to do?', asks Sophie from the driver's side of the car. 'Not exactly.', replies Andi. 'Do you want to stay?', she asks. 'I don't know.' 'You have to make a decision.', say's Sophie turning into the grocery store parking lot. 'I know.', say's Andi looking out the window. After they were done at the store they headed back to the apartment, Nate still wasn't downstairs, so Andi decided to go up & check on him. She found him sitting on the side of the bed. 'You okay?', she asks rushing to his side. 'Yeah I'm fine.' 'How long have you been awake?' 'Not long.' 'Okay, were gonna cook out for dinner, is that okay?' 'Sounds good.', he say's looking over at her. 'Okay, do you need help getting downstairs?', she asks. 'No, I'm good.' 'Okay.', she say's & than get's to her feet. He get's up with her & touches her back & she turns to look at him. 'You sure your okay?', she asks. 'Can we talk?' 'Well I need to go help with dinner.', she say's. 'Please.' 'What's up?', she say's. 'Have you decided yet if your going to stay?', he asks. She knew eventually he would ask & she still didn't know what she was going to say. 'Nate.' 'Look I know it was hard for you to come back, especially after how we left things, but these past couple of weeks have been nice. I like having you here. More importantly', he takes her left hand in his, 'I've loved seeing this ring on your finger. So that tells me.' 'Nate, I love you, I do, but.' 'It's okay, you don't have to answer now.', he say's pulling her closer to himself, he hugs her & kisses her cheek. Than they go downstairs to join the other's.