Status: one and done

Call Your Girlfriend

1/1

“What are we doing here, dude?” Eric said to his younger brother as they stepped into a coffee shop full of hipsters and aspiring artists. “This kind of isn’t our scene…or at least it’s not mine. Are you trying to tell me something?”

“Eric shut up. You’re here for moral support and you can do that without speaking.” Jordan looked down at his phone to check the text he had gotten earlier that day.

Brycie-El:
Be at Luna’s tonight. 6 o’clock.
We need to talk.


The blonde hair, blue eyed giant looked around the seemingly crowded shop for a familiar brunette. He scanned the crowd, but came to no success.

“Isn’t that your friend Bailey up onstage?” Eric nudged Jordan’s side.

“Brycie…” Jordan said out loud.

“That’s her name!” Eric snapped. Jordan’s eyes were fixated on the petite girl sitting on the stool onstage. She had her guitar balanced on her lap as she leaned towards the mic.

“Uhm hey guys, my name is Brycie Elliette. I’ll be playing a song called Call Your Girlfriend for you tonight. It’s really important to me.” Brycie found Jordan’s ice blue eyes in the crowd and stared into them as she made her intro. “Call your girlfriend. It's time you had the talk. Give your reasons. Say it's not her fault, but you just found somebody new. Tell her not to get upset, second-guessing everything you said and done. And then when she gets upset tell her how you never mean to hurt no one. Then you tell her that the only way her heart will mend is when she learns to love again. And it won't make sense right now but you're still her friend. And then you let her down easy. Call your girlfriend. It's time you had the talk. Give your reasons. Say it's not her fault, but you just met somebody new. Don't you tell her how I give you something that you never even knew you missed. Don't you even try and explain how it's so different when we kiss. You tell her that the only way her heart will mend is when she learns to love again. And it won't make sense right now but you're still her friend. And then you let her down easy. Call your girlfriend. It's time you had the talk. Give your reasons. Say it's not her fault, but you just met somebody new. And now it's gonna be me and you. And you tell her that the only way her heart will mend is when she learns to love again. And it won't make sense right now but you're still her friend. And then you let her down easy. Call your girlfriend. It's time you had the talk. Give your reasons. Say it's not her fault. Call your girlfriend. It's time you had the talk. Give your reasons. Say it's not her fault, but you just met somebody new…”

Eric’s eyes widened as he put together the pieces of her song. He looked over at his brother who had tears in his eyes. “Have you been seeing her?”

“Yes.” Jordan answered sheepishly.

“Do you love her?” Eric asked again. This time Jordan just nodded. “You selfish bastard, do you realized you’re about to propose to Heather and this girl thinks you’re in love with her? She just asked you to break up with your soon-to-be fiancé for god’s sake!”

“I have to talk to her.” Jordan pushed his brother’s rant aside and stepped forward to meet the brunette.

“You came.” She said in a wispy voice as he made his way towards her.

“Uh, yeah.” He scratched the back of his neck, a sign of nervousness.

“Jordy, I’ve been trying to find a way to tell you…I don’t want to be the other woman anymore. I’m asking you to choose now. If you love me as much as you say then call her, call Heather. Tell her what you tell me! Tell her you met someone new and that you love me, but let her down easy Jord.” Brycie’s voice was full of hope as her small hands grabbed onto his biceps. She smiled a hopeful smile and her eyes welled up with a mixture of fearful and excited tears.

Jordan shook his head and looked down to avoid her eyes. He had tears of his own in his eyes, though his were a different kind. Guilt, betrayal, ashamed tears. “Brycie…I love you, I do…”

“But…” Her heart dropped.

“But I’m proposing to Heather this week. I never meant for things to get so intense between us, B. I never intended to take things with you this far. I didn’t mean to string you along for so long, but I became selfish. I couldn’t let you go.” He finally pulled together the courage to look into Brycie’s brown eyes. He could literally see her heart breaking in her eyes. “I love you so much, I really do…but Heather and I belong together.”

“Oh…” was all that Brycie could say. Her arms wrapped around herself as she began to retract. She turned around, hoping Jordan would just go away. Sobs slowly wracked her small frame. Jordan reached out to touch her, but his brother grabbed his arm.

“Just let her down easy…”
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a super short story after I was listening to Robyn's song Call Your Girlfriend on repeat. It wouldn't leave my head so I had to write it down.

Let me know what you think!

Peace. Love. Hockey.