Status: Active(slow)

Sweet Serendipity

One

Sighing she got out of the driver's side of the car and went to get the Payton out of his booster-seat. She walked up to her childhood home, wistful for when times were relatively happy around here.

It had been over four years since she was here last. Four years since she left everything. Four years since him. But that was then, and this was the bitter reality she had to face now. Things were not going great back home. Her mom was sick, and declining rapidly. She didn't have long and she didn't have any siblings and her father had been dead since she was eight, she was all that was left.

She walked up the steps to the front door holding Payton tightly to her hip and tapped on the door. Her mother came to the door slowly and opened it, smiling widely even though she was very obviously sick, her skin pale and eyes a very dull blue.

"Hi honey, hi Pay-Pay, how are you doing sweetheart?" Her mother said grabbing Payton out of her arms.
"Fwine Grwandma."
"What did we talk about last time Pay? Don't call me grandma, I'm not that old."
"Okayyyyy" Payton said giggling.

Her mother lead her into the living room and they sat on the couch.
"So Jess, how are things?"
"They're fine mom, I'm a certified RN now."
"That's great sweetie, maybe you can see if they're any jobs at the hospital." And then her mother turned to play with Payton on the floor. She studied them for a while.

That was the thing she loved about her mother, she never judged her for her life choices. She just went with the flow and sometimes it did get her in trouble but it also helped her form her own path without constant judgment.

"Oh, I fixed your room up for the most part it's up to date with a new bed and furnishings, and I put your old toddler bed up for Payton in the spare room." Her mother said as they walked into the kitchen.

"Thanks mom, you really don't have to do all this."
"Sweetie you came all the way out here for me, it's the least I can do."
"I know, but mom as sick as you are I don't want to burden you."
"Honey I want to help you as long as I can. That's my job. And I wouldn't have it any other way."
Her mom said hugging her.

"Mom I'm going to put Pay down for a nap do you mind if I walk around town?"
"No go on ahead."

She grabbed her phone and walked out of the front door down First Ave. The Tempe heat was a warm reminder of old feelings.

"Jess Taylor is that you?"
That voice made chills go down her spine.

"Kennedy Brock?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Outfit!
Don't yell at me. I'm writing this for my friend so yeah. It won't be updated as much as my other stuff should be but I'm excited for this.