Status: finished!

Along the Horizon.

seventeen

Logan and I sit at the breakfast bar early Saturday morning. I was still in love struck mode from the night before. As far as I could tell so was my mom. She smile was almost, if not bigger than mine. Stretching from ear to ear while she washed dishes.

"How did your date go last night, Mrs. Cartwright?" Logan asked.

"It's Karen, and it went so good. I feel like a little school girl. I haven't felt like this since Steven," the words fell out of her mouth before she could stop them. Quickly my mom looked towards me with fear of a fight plastered onto her face.

"I'm happy for you mom. When do we get to meet him?" It wasn't a lie. I truly wanted her to be happy. We shouldn't have to be sad with the past anymore, it was time to let go and live in the moment.

"Actually, I wanted to ask you two something," my mom started to say. "We have this beautiful backyard and we haven't used it once. I would love to use the outdoor kitchen and I know you two have already broken in the pool," she smirked at us. I blushed multiple shades of red. "So why don't we have a cookout tonight? Logan will you please be our chef?"

"Sure," Logan says happily. "You want traditional cookout food?"

"Yes please. I don't have any of the stuff though. If I give you money will you go to the store and pick up anything you need?"

"Sure," he answered again.

My mom walked to fetch her purse from the counter top. From her wallet she produced two crisp one hundred dollar bills. "Two hundred will be enough right?" She then pulled out another bill. "Three hundred so then you can get plastic forks, cups, and plates."

Logan stared at the money in his hands. "Want me to take Brady?"

"Yes please. I don't want to have to watch him while trying to get everything else ready. Maggie, text Rachel and then Brady's teacher's son. Have him bring his family. Brady absolutely loves her," I've never seen my mom so enthusiastic about having people over for hamburgers and hot dogs.

Logan bends to kiss my the top of my head once he stands. "I love you," he murmurs into my ear. He calls Brady down from the bottom of the stairs. I wonder if I'll ever get use to him being so compassionate towards Brady. I hope I don't, I love the warm feeling.

Only seconds after Logan and Brady exit the door with my keys in hand my mom rushes towards me, like a gossiping school girl. "Did Logan just tell you he loved you?"

I look down flushing bright red for the second time this morning. "Yeah, he told me last night too."

"Did you tell him that you loved him back?"

"Yes," I confirmed.

"Do you mean it?" She sounded more like a concerned mother now.

"Of course. I know that we just met, but I really do. When dad used to tell me bedtime stories about how you two fell in love, he explained how he felt. He explained everything how I feel now," I say in a hushed tone.

"I really like Logan, Maggie. He makes you happy."

"He does."

"You can tell. You smile more. I've missed that. I laid in beds for months after Steven died and cried-"

"I know mom. I heard you."

"I cried about him dying at first. Eventually time started to heal my broken heart. Then I started to cry about how you were still hurting. I know you tried to be strong for Brady and myself, but I knew better. I am your mother, you can't keep those feelings from me no matter how hard you try," tears pulled into the corner of her eyes.

"Oh mom," I didn't know what to say.

"No I need to say this. I didn't know how moving here would be. I was afraid that you might go off the deep end. For a minute, I think you did. Then one day I saw you smiling. I was astounded. Then I saw you and Logan in the pool. At first I was mad that you were going to have a boy be your crutch. But after seeing him and you together, I keep seeing your father and I. Then I knew that Logan wasn't your crutch but my blessing. I lost I'd lost both my husband and daughter the day of the crash, but Logan brought you back to me," her tears were coming down heavy now.

Quickly I wrapped my warms around her, first to comfort her in a time of solace.

"I've wanted to do this for so long," she whispered.

At first I didn't know what she was talking about. I pulled back looking into her eyes, searching for answers. My mom smiled a motherly smile, reaching up, she wiped a tear away from my cheek. I didn't realize that I was crying. She was the one comforting me, not the other way around. I pulled her in for another hug relishing the embrace, while letting the tears flow.

Then I felt it. A weight has been physically lifted off of my chest. I can breath.

"Love you, Ace."

"I love you too, mom," I whispered. Confirming that I did indeed need my mother most of all.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay I didn't want to end on an odd number, my OCD habit, so I broke this chapter into two. Then Maggie and Logan will be ALL DONE! So sad.

I'm up to 19 subscribers, that's exciting.

I'm starting a new story. -> CLICK HERE!

Cheers,
Morgan.