Status: finished!

Along the Horizon.

seven

I didn't have any nightmares. No, night sweats, or an aching body. I woke up Saturday morning refreshed and calm. The only time I ever a full nights sleep was when I took an anti depressant and spiraled into a zombie like faze, with no emotion. This was a natural high, though. A very alluring, very hot high. A Logan Wheeler sized high.

"Maggie, how was last night?" my mom looked up from her muffins she was placing onto the island to cool.

My mom's face was clear of make-up. Her laugh lines and crows feet were clearly visible. Her face used to be smooth, wrinkle free but we've all aged since April. Her hair was down and wisps fell carelessly into her chocolate doe eyes. I smiled,frozen on the last couple steps of the stairs. "What's the matter, Mags?"

"You're really pretty," I took a leap and cleared the steps with ease. I took a blueberry muffin and removed the decorative holder, watching steam escape from the bottom.

"Were there drugs at the game last night?" She laughed trying to hide the seriousness from her voice.

"I kissed Logan last night," I beamed.

"Aw, Mags that's sweet. Did he kiss you back?" I was insulted by her joke.

"Of course!"

"Well that's good. Have you talked to him today?"

"No, it's the boys job to make the first move."

"Wasn't the first move already made, in my pool?" She smirked, raising a perfectly arched eyebrow.

My face burned hot, utterly embarrassed. "You were watching us?"

"Well I heard squealing, so I just looked out and saw your version of a kiss. And missy, when I was your age that type of affection happened behind closed and locked doors."

"Oh mom, it was just a kiss! You're not that old. I know that you and dad shared a few heated kisses in public," I was the one that was smirking now.

"That's because we're married," Absentmindedly, my mom holds up her left hand, sticking up her ring finger to show off her big, platinum rock.

There was a crushing feeling deep in my chest. It was hard to breathe. Oh no, not this. Panic set throughout my body as I tried to hide my attack. Breathe, Maggie! I press my palms firmly on the granite top, steadying myself as I bring my blood pressure back to a humane level. It was to late, my mom was already at my side trying to best to comfort me.

"Karen," I used her first name. "stop. I'm fine."

"Maggie, you need to show your feelings. Let them out, honey. I'll help you get through them."

"No, whats the point of crying if it won't bring back dad?"

"It'll help you."

I rolled my eyes and pulled out of my mom's grasp. I know I was being mean and all she wanted to do was to comfort me, but I couldn't take the closeness, not from her. Not from someone who knew what happened. I retraced my steps back up the stairs and slammed my door louder than I meant to.

I took my phone off the charger and without thinking I scrolled through the names of contacts that are stored in my phone. I pushed call and on the first ring a very groggy but familiar voice came through the speakers.

"Well hello there Ace, can't get enough of me?" Logan said in a sweet seductive voice.

"Oh shut up, want to grab coffee or something? I need out of this house."

His tone changed. He went from funny and cocky to urgent and concerned. "Sure, I'll pick up you up in fifteen?"

I looked at myself in the mirror. My hair resembled a lions mane. My dad cursed me with his thick curls. I grab a hair tie and pull the mess on top of my head. My freckles have gotten darker, but I don't stress over them. I won't win the battle of trying to cover them up.

I dress in haste after brushing my teeth. As I am pulling my hoodie over my head the ding of a new text comes from my phone.

*Your chariot awaits.*

I find myself smiling ridiculously. I pull my purse over my head and head down the stairs.

"Going out, I don't know when I'll be home," I call over my shoulder before heading out the door and towards the red mustang idling at the curb.

I got in, turning to Logan's grinning face.

"Hi," I said shyly.

"Hi," He says back, coolly. "Ernie's?"

I was sensing a theme to a popular hang out spot. "Sure."

"The coffee is even better than the fries and shakes."

*

We sat in a small booth across from each other. Logan took big gulps of his black coffee while I sipped on my latte, savoring it. Logan was right, the coffee beat the fries and shakes hands down and I wasn't a big coffee drinker,

"So why did you need to get out of the house?"

I debated telling Logan what was really bothering me, or make up a lame excuse. He already knows about the car accident. I've already told him my dad died, so what would be the harm in telling him about my numbness?

"Can we go somewhere more private?" I asked, eyeing the people around the crowded restaurant.

We're back in Logan's car but the energy is different. It's not fun but now sincere. I've felt these emotions from anyone else besides my family.

We reach the beach parking lot and we are alone. Beach goers don't mix well with this chilly October weather.

Leaving our shoes and my purse inside the car, we glided along the white sand towards the shore line. This was my favorite time to be on the beach. Early when the sun was still low in the sky, turning the the gentle tides into cascades of pinks and oranges.

"My dad is here," I say quietly, looking off into the distance with Logan standing close behind me.

"What?"

"The first day we got here, it was raining really bad. I stood at the cliff's edge and watched the sea thinking of him. How much he loved the briny deep when it was mad. Originally his ashes were going to be kept in a nice urn on a shelf or something but my mom couldn't sleep with it in the house, so we kept it in the garage," I looked back at Logan. He remained quiet, allowing my to go on.

"Another storm was rolling in when my mom told me to get in the car. We drove here, urn and my dad's ashes nestled in my moms lap. Brady let me hold him, I think he knew that I needed something to hold onto, while my mom let the ashes be carried away out into the water," I paused to wipe away my tears.

"My dad met my mom on a beach. A carefree, wild child with not an ounce of responsibility. My dad says as soon as he saw her, he fell in love. He just knew that he was supposed to be with her. Of course his parents didn't like that. They came from old money, and expected him to marry someone with his social status. But my mom broke him in a way by making him the way she was, carefree and without a worry in the world. He stopped going to college and instead spent every moment at the beach with her. My my grandparents gave him an option my mother or the money. They flew to Vegas that night and got married. Spent the honeymoon having sex and at the casino. My dad won fifty thousand dollars playing poker with all aces. That's the night I was conceived and that was the money that formed his company," I took a deep breath. The tears were really flowing now.

"Eventually he stopped coming to the beach everyday. He worked hard, bought more businesses. I was born and for ten years I was the apple of my father's eyes. I was him but in a smaller, girl version. Then my brother was born and we knew that something was wrong. It completely broke my mom's heart, but not my dad. I think he loved him more the way he is. God, I can still hear the excitement in my dad's voice when he came home with Brady's first telescope," I closed my eyes and listened. The waves lapping at my feet as I inched closer to the tides, feeling my father all around me. I could hear him, whispering in my ear all the things that I haven't got to hear. You have to be brave, Ace. Don't let this bring you down when it can easily build you up.

"Your dad called you Ace? That's what the tattoo is about?" Logan finally said something. I nod my head. "Sorry that I brought you here. Whenever you want to leave, just say the word and I'll have my car flying down the road faster than it can go," Logan smiled at me, tempting to cheer me up. I'm not sad though, for once these are not sad tears but tears of joy that I remember my father that vividly.

"I like it here. And I like being here, with you. As strange and completely girl obsessed that sounds," I try to lighten the mood.

"And I like being here with you too," he encircles me with his long arms. "But I really like you talking about your dad. You have this amazing smile and you just loose yourself when you talk about him. It's a beautiful sight to see you this open."

I beam up to him. I completely poured my heart to him, tell him things that I've kept bottled up and he calls me beautiful. "Now Miss. Cartwright, can I kiss you now, or is it just for the pool?"

I laugh loudly. reaching up on my tiptoes to put my arms around his neck and bringing our lips together for our second, very romantic kiss.
♠ ♠ ♠
ohmygosh, such an emotional chapter and again another kiss.
what did you guys think?
and thanks to my first commenter!
subscribe, recommend, comment. (:

Cheers,
Morgan.

btw, i'll revise lata hatas.