Sequel: Comes the Light
Status: Complete. Thank you all for commenting, recommending, and subscribing! ^_^

From the Darkness

Chapter Twelve

Hades did not take that well. He dragged me to a room and told me to stay there. It appeared he did not trust me or whoever was controlling me. Most likely the Fates.

And now I was in the room with my familiars, just waiting.

I hadn't heard from the Moirai nor Hades. Both seemed to be leaving me alone. At least for now.

But I had Galinthias and Hekabe to keep me company. Hekabe was the one that kept my mind off of everything at the moment, more than Galinthias. She sat on the bed, bored. Stretching out, she laid down, squeaking.

I just needed to know if I was a prisoner here or Hades wanted me under his watchful eye to protect me. I guess in the end it didn't matter. But I knew I had to go to the mortal realm soon. The black moon was coming.

Then I felt it. The slow creeping darkness and control. It crawled up my spine and draped over my shoulders. A heaviness came over me as I sunk down into the chair. Hekabe and Galinthias snapped their gazes to me, worried. I could see it. I wanted to say that everything was fine, but I couldn't. I couldn't lie to them like that.

“Hekate,” whispered in my ears, echoing softly. “Come, we have work that needs to be done.” I cringed as their power squeezed me. It felt like everything, my whole being, was held in their hands.

“Hekate,” a male voice called through the door. I wanted to call out to him. But my voice would not come out.

“You are the key.” I writhed from the voice. “Remember we have power over you.”

The door opened and everything released. I slumped against the back of the chair, tired and relieved. I couldn't be happier that Hades came in when he did. “Hekate,” he whispered, placing a hand on my shoulder. It felt...comforting.

I turned to him, smiling softly. “It is time.” I knew what he meant. It was night. I could feel it. Shaking off the encounter just moments ago, I stood. Hades dropped his hand, watching as I grew in strength and looked up at the ceiling. “Go.”

“Thank you.” I disappeared and reappeared on Gaia. Hekabe was with me. She held her head high, knowing what this night was. It was the night the moon did not shine. Lampades appeared behind me as I walked.

Along the way, I found ghosts roaming around. They floated and walked. Most didn't even know they were dead.

Then I saw him. A man in his prime. His golden hair curled around his head and he had no beard. Hermes. It seemed he was guiding souls this time. It was a coincidence that we ran into each other. He stopped what he was doing and looked at me. A smile came across his pink lips. “Hekate,” even his voice sounded seductive.

But I wasn't falling for it. “Hermes.” Hekabe barked softly. She didn't know what was going on. This would be one of the few times dogs didn't bark my arrival. All because Hermes was here.

“A pleasant surprise to see you here.” He walked over to me, smiling the whole way. Clearly, he wanted something. Something I wasn't going to give him. “Did you finally free yourself from Hades?”

That caught me by surprise. I did not think he would know about my longer stay with Hades. “I was always free.”

“How are you so sure about that?” I stared at him. He couldn't just leave it. He always had to push.

“What do you want, Hermes?” The man in a chiton, white, walked closer. He reached out, placing a hand on my shoulder. “Hermes,” I warned. I knew about his exploits. He backed off, still smiling.

“All right, I understand.” Hermes looked as if he had a new challenge, which I did not want to be. “But if you change your mind, you know where to find me.” I straightened as he disappeared, leaving me with my trail. I stood there a moment longer before moving on.

Then I felt it.

The control of the Moirai was coming back. “Hekate,” came echoing through my ears. I knew what they were doing. I could feel they had something for me to do. My hands curled into fists as my torches nearly crumbled under my grip. Hekabe nudged my hand, trying to get me to continue on and return to my normal self. “Come to us,” they ordered.

I tried to resist. I really did.

But I couldn't.

Leaving my trail of Lampades and even Hekabe, I went to the Fates. I could feel them smirking at me even though I couldn't see it. Not in the gloom of the room. “Welcome back,” Klotho wheezed still working the thread.

“You disobeyed us,” Lakhesis snapped. “That will not happen again.”

I ducked my head, knowing this was it. This was the end. And there was nothing I could do.

“You will do what you were meant to do. What Persephone was suppose to do.” Atropos turned her head, looking at me. I had not realized that it might not have been me to release my father. I was to make Persephone do it. And that did not sit well with me. I didn't want to do that to her. She was starting to change and become someone I liked.

Lakhesis paused for just a moment, looking towards me. “You know what you have to do. Go.” I stiffened before leaving. I knew what they wanted and I didn't have much choice in what to do.

I had to get Persephone to release my father and his wrath upon the world.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, I don't know if I am entirely happy with this chapter. It feels as if I am either taking too much time to finish this or rushing it.

Could you let me know?

Beside that, I hope all of you have enjoyed. Please leave a comment; I always like hearing from my readers. :) If not a comment, then recommend or subscribe. And if you want, suggest or give me some constructive criticism.

And I have ONE more chapter to go and possibly an epilogue if it works. ^_^ So this story is almost done. Which is exciting and a bit sad. I have been working on this for a long time, I almost don't want to finish it. But I think it is time.

So I hope all of you will have a smile on your lips sometime in the near future. :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guide to the Greek Pantheon in this story.