Sequel: Comes the Light
Status: Complete. Thank you all for commenting, recommending, and subscribing! ^_^

From the Darkness

Chapter Thirteen

I stood where the edge of the world was. It was silent out here. No animals. No wind. No noise. Just my breathing and my heart beat. It was a tranquil place. It wasn't happy nor was it sad. It just was.

There were no trees or grass, just a rock and a dirt cliff that fell off into the swirling river of Okeanos and Khaos. But there were the stars that littered the darkness of Nyx. The only light on the edge of Gaia. It took me a while to come to this. To come to this decision. I had sat in my realm, thinking it over. I spoke with Persephone. And that did not go well. Especially when I told her about what was in store for her.

“What?” was all she said.

“The Moirai want you to release the titans,” I explained again.

She scoffed. “I know what you said, but I do not believe it.” I sighed. I knew this would never go over well. I just didn't think she would be this...hostile toward the idea. “How can the Fates decide that I should be the one that should release the titans? And why do the Fates want to release the titans?” She looked at me, waiting for me to answer her questions. She did not like being in the dark about this. She did not like being a piece on a board for the Fates to move. And I could understand that. I really could.

“They believe,” My spine quivered as I felt the Moirai calling for me. “they would be more respected and powerful under the titans' rule.” Persephone grimaced, not liking that idea. If the titans were released, another war would ensue, and she didn't know if the gods would win.

We sat there, silent for a while. Neither one of us wanted to say anything more. And it took all my power to ignore the calling Fates.

Persephone sighed and stood up. She paced before me, muttering beneath her breath. Her hair flowed behind her as she turned, spinning on her left foot. She looked beautiful, like the first bloom in spring.

She stopped. Her gaze was on the far wall before she turned to me, looking serious. “We have to stop this. We can not let this happen.”

I gaped at her. I didn't know how. I was under the Fates' powers. I would not be much help, if anything I may hinder. “What are you thinking?”

“Tell Zeus. My father. He should be able to solve this.” I didn't really like this. Zeus may help, but I didn't know what he would do to help. “Thank you, Hekate.” I wasn't expecting that. Not in a millennium. “You have been a friend that I needed, so I thank you.”

I smiled softly and ducked my head. I didn't want to tell her that it was the Fates' orders that I become friends with her. And I would if I opened my mouth.

That was the main reason I was here now. Persephone was on her way and probably telling her father about what was happening. Her mother would not be happy.

But that wasn't the only reason. After Persephone left, I went to Hades. I knew it was not the best thing to do at that moment, but I needed to. I needed to let him know, before the inevitable end.

Styx wasn't there, probably called to Zeus. I crossed without a problem and walked to Cerberus. He whined as I petted him, each of his heads. “Be good,” I whispered before continuing on. He continued to whine after me as I walked towards Hades and where he lived. I had a feeling he would be there.

And he was. He was standing, thinking. I stepped in, bringing his attention to me. His dark eyes stared at me, silently asking why I was here. A solemn smile curled my lips as I walked towards him. He did nothing as I reached out, grasping his cheeks. I brought him to my level and pressed my lips to his.

Hades did nothing, just allowing me to kiss him. It wasn't long before I pulled away, still giving him a smile. “Goodbye, Hades.” His brow pinched together in confusion as I left, feeling a mix of emotions. I had grown close to Hades over this period of time and that just seemed the way I should end it. I was nearly crying when I crossed Styx for the last time. She still was not there.

It hurt even more when I could hear Hades calling for me. I didn't turn around nor look back. I couldn't. The sight would have stopped me. But I needed to do this. I needed to be free.

Just thinking about that memory brought tears to my eyes. I almost couldn't do it. I almost stopped. In the end, I didn't. I could feel the Fates' calling for me. Yelling at me to come to them. I didn't listen. Not now.

They knew their plan was crumbling. They knew everything they had worked for was going to fail. They screeched and shouted at me, calling me back to them.

I took a breath.

“Hekate,” a soft voice called. I knew that voice. I knew it well. “You do not have to do this,” Asteria said. She was a few steps behind me. She did not want to lose her daughter. She lost her husband already. In part, because of me. But I was all she had left.

“Mother,” I muttered, glancing at her over my shoulder.

“Come back with me. Everything will be sorted.” She reached out, trying to coax me back. To go back with her and be with her. I couldn't. I knew if I did, I still would be part of the Fates' plan, whatever it may be.

“I am sorry.” She started crying, falling to her knees. Her peplos was getting dirty as she cried. “I am so sorry, mother.” Her hands clasp together at her chest as if begging me to come to her. “I have to do this.”

“Please, no. Don't do this.” She continued to beg as I took a step forward. “Please, I can't lose you.”

“Goodbye, mother.” I fell over the edge; the last thing I saw was the crying face of my mother. I was falling into the river of Okeanos and the darkness of Nyx. And as I fell, I was in awe at the universe around me, the one Phanes created long ago.

My being started to dissolve, turning into tiny lights. First my hands and my feet. I could see them float, spreading out as more and more of myself dissolved into them. I knew my powers would go to other gods and goddesses, I was not needed. I could even feel it. It was a strange feeling, disappearing into nothing. It wasn't painful, but it felt like everything I was, was splitting and leaving me.

It took a while for it to finish.

But once it did, I was no more.
♠ ♠ ♠
And this is it guys. This story is now over. What do you think? Was it good or bad? Or just okay? Let me know. :)

I may, I stress may, do an epilogue. I haven't decided yet.

Anyway, I hope you have enjoyed this journey, even though it took a very long time. XD

So...anyone have any idea what myth I should do next? I am open to just about anything. I was thinking Perseus and Medusa next, but I am not sure.

I hope you have a good rest of the day.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guide to the Greek Pantheon in this story.