Sequel: Comes the Light
Status: Complete. Thank you all for commenting, recommending, and subscribing! ^_^

From the Darkness

Chapter Two

I stood at the cave, hidden behind a large rock with an ash tree and a few bushes around. The noise of the world just seemed to stop. Nothing truly liked death. It was deathly silent. A fitting scene when going to Haides.

Taking one step forward, I headed inside, summoning all my courage to do so. The Underworld wasn't my realm. I had connections to it, but it was never my realm. It was a realm that put fear in most gods and goddesses. And I was one of them. I feared what was down there and how powerful Hades was in his own realm.

The tunnel was long and winding around. It finally leveled out. The stench of death rose from the depths of Tartarus, wafting up towards the entrance. But it lingered below the tunnel. I couldn't stand the smell, but as soon as I walked to the edge of the river, the smell left.

I stood at the river that laid before me. It wasn't just any river. There were screams and cries coming from the glowing water. It was a deathly blue. I knew this river had to be Acheron rather than Styx. The river of pain and sorrow. One of the rivers that people crossed to get into the Underworld. There were five rivers. Acheron and Styx were the normal ones that mortals crossed when going to their destination in Hades' domain.

I walked over an invisible bridge, wanting this to be over already. I wanted to find Persephone and see if she was alright and then leave. The dark place was oppressing to say the least. I felt small in this realm. Not that I ever felt very big or useful. I was a goddess of crossroads, magic, necromancy, and of the new moon. I wasn't as important as some.

“What do you want here, Hekate?” The voice startled me out of my daze. There before me was Hades. He stood there with his black hair tumbling down his back and his complexion was as pale as ever. But he still cut an intimidating figure even with his black chiton poderes. It reached just below his ankles, barely showing his sandals.

I didn't want to find out who would win between me and him. This was his realm. Not mine.

“Persephone.” I stated swiftly. He strolled forward, circling me like I was prey rather than a goddess. His black, tired looking eyes flickered up to my hazel ones.

Hades clasped his hands behind his back as he started to walk away. I waited before I realized he wanted me to follow him. Quickly, I caught up. He never looked back. It seemed he knew I would follow and not get lost. Charon, the ferryman, turned to us as he passed, but nothing more. He carried a dead soul to the other side. His black cloak covered his face, not that I wanted to see it. No one but Hades looked upon it. Not even the dead looked at Charon's face. It was just a black shadow. Not that I minded.

I walked and walked. It was enlightening to look upon the dark realm and see light. It was a cave like realm with crystals and torches lining the walls. The smoke disappeared as soon as it appeared never giving the smoky smell normal torches gave off. The stone was dark, but many different tones with in the walls and ceiling. Even the floor was different tones. But most of it was dark in color. It wasn't light. Only a few specks here and there. Most of the color came from the crystals. They were blue, green, clear, pink, and more. They didn't have just one color. It was beautiful.

But the feeling of death around me made the feeling disappear. I didn't mind death. I was use to it. It didn't mean that I was always alright with it. This was also Thanatos' home. I could have lived here. I did not want to. It was too close to the cage that held Kronos and the titans. It also held my father, Perses. Never in my lifetime will I ever want to meet him again. He frightened me. The titan of destruction. Even hearing his name sent chills down my spine.

“There is a reason you are here, is there not?” Hades asked. He already knew the answer to that. He stepped into a large room lit by a torches and crystals along the wall as well as a large fire in the center of the circular room. The fires flickered as we went in. They moved as if pushed by some invisible force away from Hades. They crackled, popping as I stopped just inside the entrance.

My gaze flickered to him as he sat on his throne made from stone. It had carvings along the top and sides with a skull on each arm. Just a reminder that he ruled the dead. “Yes. There is a reason. I would like to know the state of Persephone.”

“Gods. We use such fancy words and language just to ask a simple, insignificant question. I prefer the language of men. They decide what they want to say and say it.” Hades looked at his hand as if it held something. “You wish to know how Persephone is faring.”

I stared at him, realizing just what he meant wasn't to be disrespectful or insulting. He was stating a fact.

“She is, in fact, very well.” Hades stood up and a man appeared at his side. He had a light brown beard trimmed short and gray was sprinkled through it as well as his hair. “Bring Persephone here.” The man bowed with a hand around his waist.

“That is good to hear.” But it did nothing for the feeling growing in the pit of my stomach. Something told me this wasn't going to be easy. It was then I realized the weight of the Fates' orders didn't feel as heavy as before. I felt more free than ever. It felt different.

It didn't take long for Persephone to appear. She was dressed in a long dress, a peplos, of red. Gold sparkled at her shoulders as well as on her feet. “Hekate,” she said. It send shivers down my spine. Something was different about her. She didn't appear to be as innocent as before. But I chalked it up to the air around the Underworld. “It is a pleasure to see you.” Her voice was soft, but held a undertone of command.

I smiled softly. She looked good. Her blond hair, nearly golden, was twisted into a bun. A few strands hung down by her ears, framing her face. She was wearing the traditional sandals. I had never seen her in such fine clothes before. She usually wore a chiton that ended at her knees. And she had flowers in her hair. But that was before her trip to the Underworld. I wondered how much she has seen of Hades' Realm.

“A pleasure to see you are well. Have you been treated respectfully?” I asked, hoping to avoid how she got down here. I didn't want to bring it up.

Persephone smiled, stepping closer to the fire in the middle of the room. She ran her fingers over it. “Yes. Better than I ever was up on Olympus. Down here no one dares to try anything with me. There are no gods that will chase me to the ends of Gaia.” She pulled her hand away, looking at it. It seemed that she wanted to find something out. “And into Okeanos, I would fall.”

“That is true. But even in Okeanos, you may not be safe. For Zeus is the ruler of the sky and of all gods. He, if desperate enough, would find a way.” Hades looked between us. His eyes lingered on Persephone longer. She was to be his wife as dictated by Zeus. But she didn't know that. Very few knew that. I only knew because the Fates told me. They told me everything. Everything they knew and planned.

Hades stepped forward standing next to his bride to be. His pale hand laid on her shoulder, silencing her next thought. “I think it is time for this meeting to adjourn.” He gently pushed Persephone out of the room and into the hallway. No one could just appear down here. They had to use the entrances. Even Hades couldn't disappear and appear in his own realm. Something within these walls prevented it. No one knew what, and none tried to figure it out.

“Hekate.” My name startled me out of my thoughts. Hades was standing at the corridor. “Please. It was a long journey to get here. Stay for a while.”

I didn't know what to say to that. It wasn't that long. The journey was pretty easy-going. But then I'm not as affected by the aura of the Underworld as some gods and goddesses. That might be what he was talking about.

“Is that wise? You have a wife to care for. I am just an extra weight.” Besides I knew I had other things to do. The new moon was coming and I could feel several people asking for favors on the edge of night. If I were to stay in Hades' realm, I would be neglecting my duties as goddess of the new moon. I couldn't do that. Not tonight. “I dare not be rude to you, Hades, but may I ask to receive this kindness on another night?” Hades stared at me. No emotions showed on his face, but something gave me the feeling that he wanted to know why. “It is the no moon tonight. My domain.” He seemed to understand, for he nods.

“And you shall. Be at peace, Hekate.”

“You as well, Lord Hades.” It was never in me to be anything but polite. Even when that witch, Gale, turned Galinthias into a polecat, I took her in along with Queen Hekabe of Troy, a black dog. They traveled with me on nights such as these. When the moon was dark and gone from the sky. Selene turned her watchful eyes away, resting for one night.

As I crossed the Underworld, I could feel the weight of the Fates judgment getting heavier and heavier. I rolled my shoulders, feeling the two pins against my skin. The robe, a sleeved peplos, seemed to grow heavier as well as I walked to the rivers, crossing one easily enough. Once my feet touched solid ground, I went back up to the entrance.

Darkness of night greeted me. Time passed differently down in the Underworld. It seemed to slow or even stop unlike above ground.

I could see no moon above. Only the stars. They shined brighter when they weren't competing with the moon and sun. I stood there a moment, just staring at the bright dots in the darkness of Nyx.

Forming in my hands were torches. The same in every way as I walked the night. Hekabe and Galinthias trotted up to my side, appearing from the darkness as they did every time I walked the night. Hekabe barked. That one bark caused other dogs to start howling. My personal signal.

Walking the dirt roads, I find where the people were asking a favor of me. It was at a crossroads. They knelt in the dirt, muttering prayers to me to help them. “I have come. Tell me what you ask of me.” The three snapped their heads around, staring up at my glowing figure. Humans always see gods and goddesses as glowing. It was how they could tell the difference. At least if the god isn't disguised. Like the many times Zeus mated with human women in other forms.

“Hekate! Praise the gods, Hekate has answered us!”

“Please! You have to help us. Our wives have fallen into bed with another.” I had heard this line before. “We need your guidance.” Most men out of spite, called me to them when their wives slept with another man in secret. They wanted to have their wicked way with a goddess, but one that wouldn't turn them into some form of animal. One would think they would ask that of Aphrodite, but most called for me.

“Then I shall tell you it.” The three looked at each other, grinning widely. “Go back to your wives and ask to have a night with them. And next time you call me for a nightly roll in a bed, I will turn you into an insect.” Hekabe growled as we left, leaving the three men gobsmacked. They didn't think their ulterior motive was that noticeable. But to any god or goddess it was. We were not gods for nothing.

The three of us headed back, disappearing to my realm. Hekabe ran to her spot on the rug. She loved the plush rug that was made from clouds from the nephelai. I asked a few of the nymphs of clouds to allow me to use some. They agreed, giving me more than I could ever use on a rug. I put some as cushions and pillows in chairs. Galinthias liked the one in the wooden chair off to the far wall. She purred as she curled up on it. “May your dreams be sweet, my friends.”

I left them to sleep, heading to my room. It held a large bed with a single blanket and a pillow. I had no need for more since it was only me in my realm. I had no consort. No lover. I was a goddess that didn't see anything in the act of sex. I wasn't a proclaimed goddess of virginity like Athena and Artemis. I just didn't see the point of mating with a man I didn't love nor care for. And that attitude has gotten me the title of Virgin Goddess.

Standing at the foot of my bed, I stared at it, debating whether I should go to sleep or stay up for a while. In the end, I sit down on the edge of my bed and summoned a scroll. Something to keep me entertained while I stay up.

It had been awhile since I've read a scroll. It was from one of the Muses' many collections. They kept everything that they helped write. I happened to be reading a poem of some mortal man. There was no name attached to it, but it was a love poem. “Just what I wanted,” I said sarcastically. But I would respect the man and read it all the way through.

By the time I was done, I felt like I had read someones private letter. I felt I had snooped where I shouldn't have. The poem was detailed in his love for a woman. Not just any woman, but the warlord's woman. He proclaimed his love from afar and wrote nearly everything down in the poem. Even what he would do if he could not have her love, ask the gods for help before taking her as his own. He even went as far as to say he would take her unwillingly.

After reading that, I wished to bathe the invisible dirt away. I felt unclean. Mortal men scared me at times. The things they will do for a woman. Just one woman. Like the war of Troy. All over Helena in the beginning. Then it was because they killed each other.

The water welcomed me with open arms, engulfing me in its warmth. I felt better just being in it. “Aw.” Reclining back, resting my head against the floor, I sighed. If I didn't watch it, I would fall asleep.

Once I started to doze, I moved to my bedroom, pulling on a loose chiton that fell to my knees. Landing on the soft bed, I nearly fell asleep there. I pulled the blanket over me and fell asleep, thinking of what I'll do tomorrow.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you have enjoyed this. If you see any mistakes, please tell me. Or if you have any comments, suggestions, criticism, speak up. I love to hear from my readers. :)

Please comment, subscribe, or recommend.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just because I've had several people say something about this, I just want to clear something up.

Haides = the Underworld
Hades = the god of the Underworld

Guide to the Greek Pantheon in this story.