Sequel: Comes the Light
Status: Complete. Thank you all for commenting, recommending, and subscribing! ^_^

From the Darkness

Chapter Three

The sun shone in, streaming through the windows, warming me. I wanted to stay a moment longer before getting up. But that wasn't to be. Hekabe barked sharply. She did that when she wanted my attention.

Groaning, I felt the silky blanket slip down into my lap as I sat up. “What is it?”

She nudged my hand. Her wet nose felt cold against my warm hand. I nearly recoiled at the sensation. She turned her head towards the door, seemingly pointing at it. Her dark eyes stared at the wooden thing. Most were courteous enough to not just appear in other's halls, but some weren't.

A feeling rolled down my spine. Something was happening that wasn't to the Fate's orders. I didn't know what to make of that.

Getting from my comfortable bed, I tossed a himation over my shoulder, draping down pass my knees. I walked with bare feet against the soft white floor of my hall to the door. Hekabe stood at my side, being the ever protective one. My hand pulled at the golden ring, shivering at the temperature of it. I couldn't hear anything on the other side, but I could sense someone powerful.

Opening the door, I saw Helios there. His chariot was sitting behind him. It wasn't as impressive as some, but it worked. Four white, blindingly white, horses stomped the ground, snorting impatiently. Helios stared long and hard at me with his light eyes. They reminded me of the sun through the clouds. But I knew he needed to talk with me.

“They are coming. I have said you saw everything as well and knew a way down.” I kept silent. My mind was flying through thoughts. Most of what I could do to delay and keep to the Moirai's orders. But I knew things had changed, and I needed to adapt to them.

“Alright. Thank you, Helios.” He bowed his head before stalking back to his chariot, stepping aboard. The horses sprouted wings as he flicked the reins. And he was off, back into the sky. I stood at the door, gripping the wood as I looked out upon the world. My realm was at the same height as Olympus. The home to the Olympian gods. The home of Zeus, king of the gods, and his wife Hera.

Slowly, I closed the door and snapped my fingers. My clothes changed into a chiton that ended at my knees with leather boots. The chiton was blue, midnight blue. The material was soft and woven by the one of the most skilled of hands. A priestess of Athena.

Petting Hekabe's head, I looked at the far wall. I wanted to have more time. More time to think of what to do. But time was against me it seemed.

Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath. I kept telling myself this will work out in the end. That was how I kept going.

I took Hekabe and Galinthias with me. Galinthias mostly wandered by herself, only returning when I called or she needed help. Hekabe was at my side most of the time. And now she was my support. The black, soft coated dog was going to be my rock through this rocky time.

It hadn't even been four days yet. I found myself thinking.

Sometimes I liked how structured and ordered the Fate's commands were to the ever changing chaos that ensued at times. But then, I wanted that freedom to do as I pleased. And not be ruled by the orders of three old women.

“We have someone to meet,” I said softly to Hekabe, rubbing behind her ears. Her tail thumped against the floor, happy. A small, miniscule smile appeared on my pale pink lips before disappearing.

With just a snap of my fingers, we were in the exact field where Persephone was taken. But this time I stood in it and not above it. A tall, curvacious woman with luscious dark blond locks stomped through the field. Her green eyes pierced through me as I looked at her. She made her way to me, not once looking away. She was shorter than me by at least a head. But that didn't make her any less intimidating.

“Where is she? Helios swore by Aletheia that you would know everything. Where is my daughter?” Demeter was furious. Anyone could tell. Her eyes had a fire in them and the field around her seem to wither away, showing her wrath.

“I will lead you to her.” Hekabe's hackles bristled, rising as she sensed danger. Danger that Demeter caused.

“No.” Her answer surprised me. I was suppose to show her the way. It was the Moirai's command to me. “I have something better.” Tilting my head slightly to the left, I waited for her to continue. I didn't know if I was going to like this. “You bring her back.”

“What?”

“You heard me, Hekate. You bring my daughter back. If you're not back by the third day, I will kill the land and everything on it.” I wanted to burst out that that would in turn destroy us as well. We could not survive long without the humans. Our powers grew when they worshiped us, made us offerings, remembered us.

“Why me?”

“Because only gods and goddesses connected with the Underworld can go there. Unless Hades gives you permission,” Demeter explained. I knew this, but if she would just follow me now, this could be done with. I would be free from this duty and back to my normal, harmless life.

But fate was never so kind.

“No. I will not.” Demeter glared up at me. She raised her hand, ready to strike. I didn't even move. Hekabe, on the other hand, started to bark madly, lowering down, ready to jump. But she didn't. She froze. As did Demeter.

I felt a shiver quake down my spine. Someone was behind me. But I didn't know who it was. Not yet anyways. Slowly turning, I found who it was. I wish I didn't. There stood, in all his glory, the lustful Zeus. His eyes roamed, unabashedly, over Demeter. I watched, disgusted that he even had the gall to look at me that way before locking onto Persephone's mother.

“Demeter,” he started, raising a hand. The King of the gods walked to the goddess of agriculture brushing his hand against her cheek. “please do not be so angry. We will find your daughter. Believe me.” Lies. He already knew. He was just putting on a show for everyone. Everything that came out of his mouth was a twist on the truth. Nothing was ever straight or totally truthful.

The breeze came through, blowing against my skin. Lightning seemed to be zapping between the two. Demeter was angry, but this was different. She was relaxing into Zeus as he wrapped her in his arms. No one knew of Persephone's parentage. She was born in secret. All anyone knew was that she was Demeter's daughter. But this just went to show who might be her father.

This wasn't something I was suppose to see and intrude upon. I stepped back, but the two broke apart, turning to me. “Let me talk with her. Tomorrow, both of you can set out to find Persephone.” Demeter sighed heavily before conceding. I agreed with a curt nod. I needed the time to think and possibly go visit Persephone once more. I needed to make sure everything was in order before leading Demeter to her daughter.

And visit Persephone I did. I strolled along, ignoring the smell, crossing the river Acheron again. But what greeted me on the other side was the large three headed dog, Cerberus. He barked loudly. The middle head ducked down, looking me over. I stood there, not fearful, but amazed. Cerberus was bigger than most believed. But the rumor was that the dog could grow or shrink depending on where he was and what he was doing.

I smiled as his hot, stinking breath blasted across me. His wet, pink tongue lulled to the side. His black nose brushed against the left side of me. It was wet as well, but rough. I chuckled. I loved dogs. They were easy to understand and were loyal.

“Greetings, Cerberus. Are you doing a good job at guarding the Underworld?” The right head barked a few times in answer. “Oh? That is very good. Do you know where Hades is?” This time the left head barked and turned farther left and back. He barked again. “Thank you, Cerberus. I will visit soon.” All three heads barked. This time it echoed as if a signal. The noise reverberated around the large stalactite and stalagmite littered hall. As well as different colored crystals. There were even different ores sparkling in the torch light.

I bowed slightly to the guardian before heading off in the direction of where Hades was. I avoided the wandering spirits, heading to their respected destinations to live out their afterlife. I knew then the judgment hall was around here. The three judges; Minos, Aeacus, and Rhadamanthus, gave each person their fate in the Underworld. But Hades could overrule them, if the need arose. And that was what the judgment hall was for.

My soft footsteps seemed to echo against the dark walls. Every step was heightened to an eerie degree. I walked swiftly and tried to find Hades. But evidently, he found me.

He stood in a simple, black robe. But this time he had his Helm of Darkness. It sat in his hand. A large black obsidian sat encrusted between the brow. The helm was made of a dark, silver ore, that wasn't seen anywhere but in Haides. It had a piece of metal that covered half of the nose, hanging between the eyes and beneath the obsidian. Engraved into the metal were designs that meant nothing. They were just swirls and twists to decorate the helm. Along the back was a tall ridge with no design on it. But there was a swirl curling towards the face on the front and one on the back.

“You have come,” his smooth, deep voice brought me back. I glanced at him, wondering what to do and say.

“Yes. I have.” He nodded curtly. “And I bring news.” He didn't smile. He didn't do anything. Hades stood there, statuesque. “Demeter will be coming to bring her daughter back.” His brow twitched. I didn't know if it was because he was annoyed or because he was suppressing an expression.

“Am I to assume you are leading her?” I furrowed my brow, wondering how he could possibly know that. “You are not the only one that deals with the Fates.” I knew I wasn't the only one, but I seemed to be the only goddess effected directly by them.

“Yes. I will be leading her down.”

“Why? You do not even like Demeter.” I sighed. I knew that was true. She annoyed me. Mostly because she was frivolous and demanding. She wanted others to serve her. To do everything she said.

Respiring softly, I turned my gaze to the stone floor. “That is true. But I must do as asked.”

“Ah, right. The Moirai seemed pleased you have done so well,” Hades smoothly said. He glanced up. “Come. Let us continue this in more comfort.” I didn't know what to make of that. It seemed he knew something I didn't. Which didn't sit well with me.

The two of us walked down the corridor only to stop at a large doorway. Double wooden doors stood in the way. There was gold gilded metal across each door and on the ring handles. But Hades didn't need the handles. The doors opened on their own.

Inside, it revealed a room of comfort. There was a few chairs littered around and a blend of a daybed and chair towards the right side. He took a plush, cushioned chair with gems encrusted into the arms and legs. But it wasn't overly done.

And that took me by surprise. He was also the god of wealth whether that was ores or even the fertile soil. So I expected him to have more gold and silver around. Even bronze. Since those were used as money by humans. Gems were considered of decent worth, but not like gold, silver, and bronze. They were more for decoration than anything.

I sat on the daybed chair, leaning against the soft, pillowed arm. “I assume,” Hades set his helm on the stone, cold floor by his foot. It clanked softly. “you know more than you let on.”

He cocked his head to the side before giving a curt nod. His pale hands released the arms of the chair to clasp each other in his lap. “I know of all chthonian gods and goddesses. And what they do.” He didn't say anything for a moment. It was silent until a fire burst to life in the hearth. A symbol of Hestia.

“Hermes has entered the Underworld.” It was a statement. “Excuse me,” Hades said standing from his chair. I sat there a moment longer before heading back up. I had a lot to think about. Even though I didn't see Persephone as I thought I might. But at least I told Hades what was happening.

Although what he said about knowing everything about chthonian gods disturbed me a bit. He knew more about me than most. And that frightened me.

Is that any worse than the Fates watching over me?
♠ ♠ ♠
I am pretty sure this is shorter than the other two. I'll have to work on that. :)

Anyway, please comment, subscribe, recommend, and/or suggest something. I like hearing from my readers. And I promise I won't bite. :)

If you see any mistakes, please do not hesitate to say something about it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guide to the Greek Pantheon in this story.