Sequel: Comes the Light
Status: Complete. Thank you all for commenting, recommending, and subscribing! ^_^

From the Darkness

Chapter Four

The time to lead Demeter came quickly. But surprisingly, it didn't come as quickly as I thought. Zeus some how convinced her to wait. To calm down as he tried a different way first. He sent Hermes to Hades to bring Persephone back up to Gaia and then to Olympus. But that didn't seem to work, which was why Demeter and I were going down.

I stood in the field waiting for Demeter to show. She appeared around midday, calm and sedated. It was a nice change to her other side. “I am ready. Show me the way.” I looked her over. She had on leather sandals that wrapped around her ankle. Her chiton was short, ending around her knee. She also wore a himation. The chiton was green like the pines. Her himation was draped around her shoulders and was a golden wheat color.

Demeter exhaled slowly. I nodded before leading her out of the field and to the entrance of the Underworld. It was hidden and was the one I found before. Demeter scoffed behind me as I led her down. She paused at the entrance, looking around. “Come on. It is this way,” I said, giving her permission to enter the Underworld.

The two of us walked down the spiral decline. I produced two torches in my hands, lighting the way. Demeter shifted nervously. This wasn't her realm nor was it where she wanted to be. She wanted to be done with this as soon as possible. And I knew that.

“How long until we get there?” Demeter questioned, stepping away from the wall as if it was made of flesh instead of stone. “I do not like this place.” I nearly scoffed at that. No one really likes it here. But I stopped myself, keeping quiet.

We arrived at Styx this time. The screams of Acheron might send Demeter running. Styx herself was a patient, quiet goddess. She had no problem letting Demeter cross. I knew because I had asked her before taking Demeter here.

The long, wide river was dark even though there was light along the surface. The light didn't penetrate down farther than the length of my thumb. The depths were black as if an abyss was just below it.

I waved my hand, sending little flecks of fire in the air. None touched the ground, burning out quickly. But a bridge formed across the river, giving us a way to the other side. Mostly since our powers of travel any other way was not possible here.

Demeter eyed the bridge suspiciously. She seemed to think it would disappear any second now. I sighed. Quickly, I crossed and looked back at her, waiting. “Demeter,” a voice echoed, bubbling from the depths of Styx. Slowly a figure formed from the water, leaving a dark humanoid form as all the water fell back. The splash of every drop was heightened, reverberating around the large cavern. Even the stalactites rattled a bit at the noise. “It is safe.” The voice was smooth and most definitely female.

The goddess of agriculture stared at this new goddess. She didn't recognize this goddess. But I did. “Styx.” Her head turned to me, brightening a bit to a normal hue of skin. Her skin kept getting brighter the longer we stood there. Styx turned to Demeter, looking more like a human than before. At least color wise. Her hair was black, darker than any natural black. It hung over her shoulder in a braid. But her lower half was fading into the river itself. It was like she was a part of the river. Although, that did make sense. She was the goddess of the river Styx. Her river.

“Styx,” I started, gaining her attention once more, “it is a pleasure to see you again.” She knew I was being polite, but I was also glad to see her again. Even though she was the goddess of the river of hate, she was a wonderful goddess once you get pass her appearance.

“And I am glad you have come, Hekate. It has been too long. Acheron was boasting.” She didn't say anything more, knowing that I knew what she was talking about. Demeter, on the other hand, didn't. She didn't know I came down here before. That I had visited her daughter before her.

“Enough! I came to get my daughter back. Not to chat.” Styx snapped her hard inky black eyes to Demeter. No one wanted to be on Styx's bad side. Her hatred was not something to be taken lightly. She held her oaths and her grudges longer than anyone else. And that was what Demeter was heading towards now. “Hekate, take me to her, now.”

Styx stepped, forming legs as she did so, upon the bridge I made. She was tall, taller then me. The daimon towered over Demeter. “You shall show respect, Goddess.” The last word sent a zap of fear through Demeter and me as well. I didn't know what Styx would do. “No goddess has ever been as rude as you.”

The goddess stepped back, looking upon Styx with fear. “But,” she didn't even finish as Styx stepped closer. It snapped something within the goddess of grain. Demeter's eyes harden as she straightened her back, rising to her full height. Not even reaching the chin of Styx. “I need to find my daughter. And you will not stand in my way.” The daimon stood there, eying Demeter up and down. I needed to do something. To stop this quickly.

The two glared at each other. Not moving. Not saying anything.

I called upon Harmonia, the goddess of harmony and concord. I needed her soothing touch. This was out of my realm of knowledge. I did not settle disagreements. Actually, I tend to avoid them.

A sense of balance seemed to descend upon me. I knew what I had to do.

I walked between the two, holding my torches out before them. They turned to me. “Demeter, calm yourself. Angering Styx will not get you daughter back.” I gave Demeter a look. “Styx, forgive her. She is distraught about Persephone.” Styx looked me over for a moment before nodding. I could tell the daimon knew I had help with this. She knew this wasn't my words, but another's.

“Very well. But I do not want to see you again, Demeter. You are not welcome at my river.” It didn't seem to bother Demeter at all.

“I do not plan on being down in Haides again.” And we continued on. Styx waved goodbye to me and I did so as well. I would not get on Styx's bad side.

Demeter crossed without any more complaints. It was surprising, but I didn't voice that thought. I did not want her to become stubborn and not move. That would cause more trouble than I need. I didn't need any more delays. I just wanted to be free from this job. This duty. It was tiring.

The two of us passed by Cerberus. I gave him a gentle, kind smile; silently telling him that I would be back. Demeter scowled at the dog. She didn't like them at all. Cerberus it seemed didn't like her as well. He barked and growled as she walked behind me. We entered the tunnel, leaving behind an angered Cerberus. I knew I would have to come back later to make up for bringing Demeter down into his home.

“Filthy thing,” grumbled the goddess. I glanced back at her and then to the entrance, seeing the three headed dog there, growling. He had heard what she said. “I do not understand why anyone would see anything good in a dog. Even a three headed one.” I was just glad Cerberus wouldn't come after us nor was Hekabe at my side. They would have jumped Demeter.

“To each their own,” I muttered, turning down another tunnel on the right. It was silent except for our footsteps. But this time they sounded muffled. They didn't echo. The tunnel itself was large. Large enough for ten abreast to walk down it easily. And it was at least double my height. Crystals and ores littered the walls and ceiling. Some giving off light and others just glimmering when looked at just right.

The two of us stopped at a large wooden door. It was taller than me and had gray metal strapped across. Even the handle was gray. But the nails that held the metal to the wood was silver. They glittered in the fire light.

I turned my torch to one upon the wall, lighting it before disappearing my own. The light was dimmer than before, but I knew on the other side of this door was more. The light seeped through the cracks and beneath the door.

Demeter grunted behind me, shoving her hand into my back. “Well?” She was treating me like a servant.

But I didn't say anything about it as I knocked. The thump of my knuckles against the wood echoed. It took only a moment before the door was opened. On the other side was Thanatos. He was tall and lithe, cloaked in a drab black robe. A shadow behind him appeared like wings before disappearing into his robe. He had brown curly hair and a trimmed beard. His dark brown eyes flickered between me and Demeter, instantly understanding why we were here.

“Please, come in.” He stepped away, sweeping his arm out to allow us entrance into the hall. And he wasn't the only one in the room. There was Askalaphos and Hades. But there wasn't Persephone. “My Lord, Demeter and Hekate have arrived,” Thanatos announced before slipping out the door to do his duty. By the Fates' orders.

Hades sat on his throne, looking at us. Demeter stepped around me, taking charge. “I demand my daughter to be returned to me.” I sighed, not believing how rude and rash Demeter could be. She was jeopardizing this whole journey. First Styx and now Hades. Her list of enemies was growing everywhere we go.

Hades, lucky for us, did not seem to be affected by her rudeness. “Demanding will get you nothing, Demeter.” I stepped back, allowing the two to talk without me hovering over their shoulder. “You may demand all you want,” he started, standing up, “but within my realm, you must be careful who you make demands of. I will not protect a ignorant goddess.” Demeter spluttered. She didn't expect that at all. She always got her way. And now, she didn't.

I almost felt sympathetic for her. But that didn't last as she glowered at the god of the Underworld. “I see. Then you will face my wrath as well as that of Zeus' when I am angered or injured.” I was sure Hades didn't take kindly to threats, but he did nothing. He didn't even show any fear. It caused a moment of silence. Demeter realized that her threat was nothing down here. She was a goddess of the land, not beneath it.

“Your daughter, Persephone, will be here soon.” I was thankful for his voice, because it meant the discussion before was over. “But I can not say she will be happy to see you.” Demeter glared at Hades as he sat softly back in his throne.

“Hekate,” my name startled me. I didn't expect Hades to say anything to me. I was just the guide this time. Nothing more.

“Yes?” A feeling of dread sat in the bottom of my stomach.

“Your mother wants to see you.” That surprised me. I did not expect anyone, especially not Hades, to say that to me. “She is waiting at your home.” I nodded. Nerves, excitement, and many more emotions swirled around within me. I hadn't seen Asteria since the titans fell. And my father imprisoned with many other titans.

“I will see her after I am finished here.” Hades nodded, but didn't say anything more as the door at the far end of the room opened, revealing Persephone. She had a trail of nymphs, beautiful and carrying torches. The Lampades. They were created from nymphs that died. Or the ones that just wanted to be something different than a nymph of the land, sea, or air.

Persephone stared at her mother, blinking a few times. It seemed she didn't believe her mother was here. But she recovered quickly. A smile pulled at her lips as she sauntered gracefully over to Demeter, shorter than her own daughter. “Mother,” it was formal. More formal than I expected. “It is good to see you again.”

“Persephone, come here. It has been too long.” Demeter hugged her daughter, squeezing her tightly. She didn't want to let go. Anyone could tell that. The two stayed like that for a while before slowly breaking apart. “Come, we shall return to Olympus.” Persephone hesitated before taking her mother's hand.

I gazed at Hades, offering him a small appreciative smile. After this was done, I could be absolved of this duty and go back to my normal routine. It would be such a relief. And to top it off, my mother wanted to see me. Everything might be getting better. At least I could hope so.

Hades didn't smile back. He gave me a small nod of his head. But that was all I needed. I didn't ask for his praise, love, or affection. Or even his attention. I just wanted a bit of acknowledgment, which he gave. That was all I could ask for.

Turning to the daughter and mother, I slowly led them out of the room. Both chatted behind me, whispering. I didn't care to know what they were talking about. It wasn't my place to know.

A fell voice buzzed in the back of my mind. I knew what it meant, but they could not reach me here. Here their rulings did nothing. I would have to deal with them once on Gaia. They could wait until then. Besides I was doing their bidding now.

The Moirai are insatiable.

I led Persephone and Demeter up to the surface. Demeter looked much better to be out of the realm of the dead. She turned to her daughter, smiling. But Persephone looked slightly lost. She looked out upon the world as if everything was new. I didn't point this out as I let the two head to their own home. They had a lot to talk about.

And I needed to get to mine. My own mother was waiting. I just hoped my meeting with her wouldn't be too horrible.
♠ ♠ ♠
And I finished this chapter. Yay! I know it hasn't been that long since the last chapter was posted, but I was on a roll with this one. So here it is!

I hope you have enjoyed it. Please comment, subscribe, recommend, and/or message me. It would motivate me to write more. ^_^ And I love hearing from my readers.

And if you see any mistakes, please tell me. I can't catch them all. *chuckles* Sorry, totally having a nerdy moment. :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guide to the Greek Pantheon in this story.