Sequel: Comes the Light
Status: Complete. Thank you all for commenting, recommending, and subscribing! ^_^

From the Darkness

Chapter Seven

Askalaphos wasn't seen again. Not in human form. Demeter did something, but I didn't know what. I had wandered down to the Underworld once again. I wanted to be away from the realm of mortals and the realm of the gods above. I could have gone to Poseidon, but he had his own worries and I didn't want to bother him. Besides the sea was still within the Fates' control. I wouldn't have felt relief there. Not like I would down below.

I strolled through the hallways, saying hi to Cerberus again before heading on to the orchard that Askalaphos usually tended to. The trees were beautiful. In their own right. They stood tall and had gorgeous black leaves that shone silver in the haunting light of Haides. The fruit hung off the branches, big and juicy looking. They were temping to pick and just eat, but I didn't come down here to do that. I wanted to find Askalaphos.

“It is surprising to see you here, Hekate.” I knew that voice instantly. It was Hades. He was dressed in his usual casual chiton, but this time he didn't have the Helm of Darkness.

I sighed. “I was looking for Askalaphos, but he is not here as you probably knew.” Hades simply turned to a tree and plucked the fruit from the branch. It was round and ripe. It was ready to eat.

“No. I, myself, have been looking for him. The orchards will survive without him, but he knew what they needed more than anyone.” Hades spun the fruit in his hand, turning it over and over. I didn't know how to reply to that. I didn't even know if he knew that Demeter was chasing him. Her wrath wasn't incurred often, but when it was, the very soil felt it.

Turning my gaze to the large cavern, I wished to see that back. I wanted to know how big this place was. There was even a stream of light shining from the ceiling that light the room. “Shall we search together?” I hadn't expected him to ask me that. Most gods avoided me. I put them on edge. Especially since I had no one true realm. I was sky, gaia, and the underworld. I could roam all freely.

It took a moment for me to realize that I hadn't answered him. Not yet anyway. “If it is not too much trouble,” I answered. He gestured for me to go first, to take the first step forward. This journey of finding his fellow god.

“I have meaning to ask,” he started. We walked through the orchards, heading to tunnels I never knew where there. “Why do you follow the Moirai? They hold no rulings over us, but they seem to hold something over you.”

I couldn't tell him. It was forbidden. I wanted to. I so badly wanted to share what I burdened with him. He was the first male ever to take an interest in me, to have a conversation with me. But now, that was about to be thrown away.

Unless I disobey. Their leash had loosen. I might be able to say something to him. Tell him why I had to obey the Moirai.

“I...”

“You shall not tell!” My head screamed at the pain that coursed through it. It was so painful that I didn't even utter a sound. Hands gripped my shoulders, steadying my swaying form. “You will not tell a soul!” My mind spun backwards, going back to a time before as I slipped into the abyss of unconsciousness.

“You can not tell a single soul, Hekate,” Atropos hissed, coughing at the end. She tossed another thread away, cut and unravel. It floated to a basket, woven reeds. It held a large pile of cut strings. Klotho at times would take those cut strings and reuse them. For they were just threads at that point.

“We need your power. Lovely, unbound power.” Lakhesis cracked a smile. Her hands wrapped around her staff.

“Why?” I asked, curious and slightly apprehensive about the answer.

“All in due time. All will be revealed.” They continued to work, never taking a break. It was their duty to keep going. I didn't envy them.

“But-”

“Hush. Others are listening. You are bound by our rulings. Now, do as we say.” I was more confused than ever. What right did they have to order me around? How did they make me submit? Was it because I was still a titanide? The Fates, not in existence when we ruled, were a constant. Now they had a form. A body. A way to directly control the fates of others. And apparently, I was no different. “Go find Persephone. Become her trusted adviser. We will give you the rest at another time.”


I was snapped back into the present. The first thing I noticed was I could hear only a slow, steady whoshing sound. It sounded close. Closer than anyone or anything besides Hekabe and Galinthias, had gotten before.

The feeling in my fingers came back. I was on something soft. Wonderfully soft. A bed. My mind slowly processed. I laid there, slowly regaining control of my senses. It wasn't long before I fluttered my eyes open, staring at the dimly lit ceiling of stone. It appeared I was still in the Underworld.

Slowly, I turned my gaze from the ceiling to the rest of the room. But I stopped soon as my eyes landed on the figure beside my bed, sleeping in a high backed chair. In it was the god of the Underworld, Hades.

I must have gasped or made some noise because he aroused from his slumber. His head slowly lifted from his hand, opening his eyes. It didn't take long for him to wake up completely. “It is good to see you awake.” He sat up, straightening his recumbent position. His hands, pale and long fingered, grasped the arms of the chair.

“How long was I unconscious?” I slowly pushed myself up into a sitting position only to feel light headed and dizzy. I must have swayed for there was hands on my shoulders, steadying me before leaning me back against the cavern wall with pillows. The pillows were small and square behind me.

“It is better if you do not move much at this moment. Akeso has taken a look at you and advised to not move for the next few hours.” Hades stood at my side before sitting down once again. I stared at him. “You were asleep for better part of a day. It is night now.” Night? I had slept that long?

“I...”

“Do not say what I believe you are going to,” Hades interrupted. “You are not a bother, and Selene is shining tonight.” He knew I was worried I had to go out tonight when there was no moon shining. It was night time. My realm.

I nodded, accepting I didn't have to go unless called upon. In a way, it was nice to know I wasn't needed tonight. The lampades will walk tonight even if I don't.

“What caused this? One moment you were well and then next you were falling to the ground. This is not caused by nature. Something happened,” Hades said swiftly.

I didn't know what to say to that. How could I say that it was caused by the Moirai? How could I say that when they could just do it again? What could I say to implicate them, but not have them know? That was the real question.

“Fate.” One word. But it had so many inferred meanings. I just hoped he understood the right one, for I couldn't explain it to him if he didn't.

“How? You are a goddess. Their rulings should have no affect on you.” He leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees. “Unless you are still not truly a goddess.” I could see the thoughts cross his face, pulling his facial features around just slightly. “You always say you are a titanide turned goddess.” It was a statement. A very true statement, but I realized something very important then. Even though I was a goddess in name, I was not one in being. I was a titanide. And that was why the Moirai could even begin to control me. In the beginning it wasn't this powerful. It became this powerful over time. They grew their control over me every time until I couldn't resist.

All of this was my fault. I did it to myself.

My expression must have changed because Hades looked at me concerned. “Hekate,” my name from his lips sounded so much better than anyone else saying it. “do not blame yourself.” How could he tell? He sighed softly. “Your face shows more than you might realize.”

“I guess so.”

“There are worse things. Besides it is not your face, but rather your eyes. They show every emotion you have.” I gave him a miniscule nod. “It takes some time to figure out what those emotions are, but once someone does, it is very easy to read you.” I didn't like knowing that. I didn't want others to know what I was feeling nor when. It was disconcerting to know that Hades—someone I didn't see very often—knew how to read me. What about the others? Ones that I have seen more than Hades?

Instead of continuing on this path of questions and answers, I turned the conversation away from it. “Should we still look for Askalaphos?” I wanted to do something. Sitting and waiting, never did me any good. I wanted to be wandering. I wanted to be moving.

“You need rest.” I groaned, annoyed I had to stay in the bed for how ever long was prescribed by Akeso, the goddess of curing and healing.

Hades seemed to take pleasure or amusement in my annoyance. He was smiling as I shuffled down onto the bed, allowing the pillows to spill onto the floor. I wasn't going to pick them up. My arms crossed on my chest as I huffed, annoyed even more as Hades let out a low laugh. It was quiet at first, just a few before growing, but it never got louder than an orchestra of crickets. It was nice. Beautiful even. I liked Hades' laugh.

He continued a few seconds more before slowing to a stop. But the mirth didn't leave his dark eyes. “You are very interesting. A very interesting woman.” I didn't know if I should take that as a compliment or an insult. He seemed to see that on my face for he said, “That is a compliment. You have my interest which isn't something easily won.” That I could believe. He never seemed like a god anyone could please. One could intrigue him for a moment before losing it. But no one seemed to gain his interest. Until now. Because apparently I have his interest, but I didn't know what that meant nor what that entailed. Truthfully, I didn't want to. I just wanted to have someone's attention. Someones interest.

“Thank you, I guess. But...why? Why do you find me interesting? I am not interesting in the slightest. If anything I am plain, boring. There is-”

“Do not continue that sentence. That is not for you to decide. You may see yourself one way, but I see you in a different light.” He leaned in close, hovering just in my personal space. His face was close to mine. I could see that his black eyes were not just dark, but indescribable. They were like shadows, hidden from the light, but moving, swirling as light hit them. They were mesmerizing.

Then he blinked. It broke the spell that he had on me without even knowing it. “Have your eyes always been black?” I found myself asking. It just slipped out as if a residual effect from the spell was still upon me.

A smile pulled at his pale rose colored lips. The bottom was slightly bigger than the top, giving him a small pout. “Yes. I was born with these eyes even before I was allotted the rule of the Underworld.” It appeared he got to the heart of my question without me even asking. It was amazing that he knew to infer from questions and expressions. Or I might be that easy to read. A scroll unrolled, waiting for someone to just read the words upon the parchment.

He laughed. It wasn't the same as before. It was full on laughter that erupted from his throat. It was the same sound, but louder this time.

“Yes, I know I am very funny and amuse you, but do you have to laugh at me for it?” I asked, turning my head away, embarrassed. My cheeks even redden. He was comfortable enough with me to laugh though and that spoke volumes. But it didn't help with the embarrassment.

“Even when blushing, you have charm.” And that made them go even redder. I never...done anything like this with anyone before. Flirting. There was no one that was interested in me. No one glanced my way at all. I was not Aphrodite or even Artemis. I was a last resort, a desperate chance that never came through.

“Charm? What charm, pray tell, do I have? I'm laying in a bed with the covers up to my chin, and you say I have charm. You must like white then.” I smiled, forcing my thoughts away. I didn't want nor need them now. I just wanted to enjoy this while it lasted.
♠ ♠ ♠
And there is some Hades and Hekate time. :) Yay! I wanted to write this for awhile, but Hekate didn't seem to want it until now. XD

I do apologize for any mistakes whether that is grammatical or spelling. I haven't gone back over this and edited it.

I do hope everyone that read this, enjoyed it. Please comment, comments make my day. Subscribe, recommend, or suggest some ideas.

That's all, folks. ^_^ On to the next chapter!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guide to the Greek Pantheon in this story.