Sequel: Comes the Light
Status: Complete. Thank you all for commenting, recommending, and subscribing! ^_^

From the Darkness

Chapter Eight

My world had changed. Hades was becoming a friend. He genuinely cared for my well being and that scared me. No one cared about me. Only the Moirai when they wanted something done. But now, I had to continue what I came here to do. To find Askalaphos. And to befriend Persephone. I still didn't know which would be harder.

“You have been here a long time, Hekate.” Persephone stood before me, eating some grapes. I didn't know how to answer that. How could I answer that? “I'm befriending you and behind your back, befriending your husband.” I didn't think that would go over well. She would probably send me away since that would be the most she could do to me.

“I feel more comfortable here,” I said softly. Persephone looked at me, questioning me silently. She popped another grape into her mouth as she turned away. I looked down, letting my mind wonder. I didn't know if I should continue on. Continue the search for Askalaphos. Continue to befriend Persephone.

The goddess of the underworld sighed and glanced at me. I knew she wanted to say something more. She wanted to say that I wasn't welcomed. But both of us knew that she didn't have that power. Only Hades did.

“How long will you stay?” The answer to that was easy.

“Until tonight.” The new moon was tonight. My realm. “I have to be out tonight.” The lampades would be waiting. As would Hekabe.

Persephone nodded before reclining into her chair. The plush cushions just seemed to suck her in, molding to her form. I knew it must have been magicked. The cushions were red in color. They looked to be in perfect condition. I would have to say Hades gave her that chair. Probably as a wedding present. Something clenched within my chest, but I ignored. It was not something I needed to know about, to think about now.

It was a beautiful chair. Not one to be found anywhere besides the Underworld. Up in Olympus, it would stand out, look awkward. Here, it fit right in.

But then the Underworld wasn't as doom and gloom as many people thought. But then, I was allowed here. I didn't get the usual feeling of uncomfortableness that nearly every other god or goddess did. It was due to my ability to traverse all of the realms. I wasn't tied to any one like so many where.

The Underworld was like a cave, huge and cavernous. There was gems and other precious stones in the walls. It was only the beginning that was doom and gloom. It was dark and where the dead crossed over. The only other part that was like that was Tartarus. It was where the evil and wicked rotted with their punishment for all eternity. Unless someone released them.

“I think you should go early.” Persephone's voice was soft, but I could hear the dangerous undertone. She wanted me gone as quickly as possible. I just didn't know why. Persephone usually didn't bother with others, but now it seemed she was letting the power start to go to her head. She wanted people to follow her. She wanted to rule.

“It is not time,” I stated. I was standing against her. I was showing her that she didn't have that kind of power over me. I wasn't here to undermine her nor take her spot. I was truthful about feeling less pressure here than upstairs. “Helios is still in the sky.”

“Aye, so is Apollo, but he is looking to chase a few mortal girls in the evening.” A smirk rose the corner of my lips. Persephone chuckled.

“Yes, that is very true.” I straightened my back. “At least he hasn't tried chasing us.” Persephone laughed. It seemed we had something to talk about now. We were starting to click even though just moments ago she wanted me out. She wanted me to go as soon as possible.

“If he did, he would have all of Tartarus to pay,” Persephone said, popping another grape between her lips. “But then again, we are not a faithful group.” I knew what she meant. It was almost inevitable that the gods would find someone that “tickled” their fancy and chase them until they got what they wanted. And even the goddesses at times found a man to their liking. It was our way. And we weren't going to change any time soon.

I twirled my fingers in my royal purple himation draped over my shoulders. It was slightly cold down beneath Gaia. The heat didn't penetrate down into Haides. “True. But there are more goddesses that choose to stay faithful than gods.”

“Very true!” Her smile was infectious. I smiled right back at her. “I can not tell you how many times I...” she trailed off. It seemed she realized she was talking with me and not a friend of hers. She was talking with someone that she wanted out of her realm moments ago. Her gray blue eyes stared into my eyes. She was looking for something. “Why am I telling you this? I barely know you.” Which was true. We barely knew one another. We barely met before the Moirai ordered me to befriend her.

“I can not tell you why. Maybe you just wanted to say that, get it out into the open.” She sighed, ducking her head before rolling onto her back, scooting down the chair. I glanced at her form, lithe and tall form. She was beautiful and most gods would chase her if not for her being claimed by Hades. No one messed with the ruler of the Underworld.

I was just a goddess that most didn't pay attention to. I was one that most avoided. Mostly because I frightened them or gave them very “weird vibes” as they put it. Most also didn't like looking into my eyes because they were like my father's.

Persephone rose from the chair, standing tall. “I am retiring for now.” I knew that was my cue to leave. She didn't want me there when she came back. She walked swiftly from the room, disappearing back down the caverns.

I sighed before standing up. It was time. I could feel it. The night was coming. Nyx was darkening the world. Walking swiftly, I crossed Styx, muttering a goodbye to her. I headed up, walking to the world above. Where the humans roam.

Breathing in deeply, I could feel the power swell inside. This was my strongest time. I knew there was offerings at crossroads for me, but most were just that, offerings. They had no purpose except to appease me. And most did. Some needed more work. Those were the ones I left when I traveled.

Hekabe was with me, barking a few times. She showed up as soon as I left Haides. Like she always did. Taking a deep breath, I traveled around Gaia. The lampades followed behind me, humming softly. They glowed softly, holding lamps in their hands. To the humans, it looked like softly glowing orbs, floating along, if they were lucky. Most times the lampades were not seen.

All of us traveled to every crossroad, taking offerings as we went. It was at one of the crossroads that I felt it. It was something different. A power. A power that I recognized.

Stepping closer, I realized what it was. It was a stone. A stone that was pinning something beneath it. The lampades came around me, lighting the area brightly. Hekabe growled at the stone, feeling the power behind it as well. She stepped back, hackles raised. “Shh. I will not let anything harm you.” She quieted, but still stayed back, not trusting nor liking what the stone held.

I knelt on the dirt, dirtying my peplos. I didn't care. I could get the stains out easily enough.

Reaching out, I knew who placed the stone. Demeter. She put this stone here. I didn't know why yet, but I believed I would find out.

I picked the gray, plain stone from the ground, hissing as I tossed it away. Demeter did not want it to be moved. Her power flowed through that stone more than any other thing on the dirt. But that didn't take much of my attention as I saw what was beneath it. A lizard. A small, spotted lizard. It lifted its head, looking around as if finally feeling that it was free from the stone. Its head turned around, facing me.

It took one step before a larger rock came down. All of the lampades, Hekabe, and I jumped back, startled. Demeter did not want that lizard to move. And it wasn't my place to mess with arguments between the gods. Usually that fell to demi-gods, not by choice, but by happenstance. They happened to help resolve a dispute between two gods because they wanted to play hero and stop something that was happening on Gaia between humans.

But since the lizard was at a crossroad, it was under my protection. I knew, at least, the lizard wouldn't die. Not yet.

The only thing now, was to continue on. Demeter would not let me move that stone. She wanted that lizard to suffer. I just didn't know why.

Hekabe barked, bringing me back to reality. “Very well, let us continue on,” I muttered scratching behind Hekabe's ear. She barked her happiness as the lampades slowly stepped back. They stood in a semi-circle around us. One stepped forward, the leader of the lampades. She stood tall and with a pale complexion. Her hair was pale blond as well. Only her eyes were dark. They were as dark as Hades' eyes. But they didn't seem like shadows. They were just dark.

“We must continue on if we are to make it back before Eos.” I knew she was right. She was always right.

“Of course.” We walked on.

=*=


My head was about to explode. I was tired and needed to rest. The Fates were not helping with that. I had just finished my round and the Moirai decided they needed to tell me that I shouldn't have been down in the Underworld as long as I was. They griped and whined, but I paid very little attention to them. It almost felt like I could defy them, now. But I wouldn't. I wanted to be sure before I did.

“Galinthias,” I muttered softly. The feline came trotting over, smug over something, but I didn't know what. “What are you smug about now?” I asked, knowing she wouldn't tell me. She never does.

She growled softly. I knew that meant I shouldn't ask her anything. She was going to do her own thing. And I had no control over it. At least, I respected her enough to allow her to do her own thing and not control her. She was my familiar, not a pet.

“Just listen for me then, please,” I said softly. I needed her to listen. I needed someone to listen. One that wouldn't judge nor give unwanted advice. Hekabe liked to comfort. Galinthias just sat and listened. That was why I went to her more often than not.

She sat down on the chair. A mewl escaped her lips as she stretched her front paws forward. “I...believe there is a plan that I may have helped set in motion.” Galinthias stared, just listening. “It may be my fault, what ever this plan may be.”

I sighed heavily. I didn't know what was going on. But the Fates had set it in motion. Had made me set it in motion. I was as much to blame for this as much as they were. They even told me. They needed my power. They needed me.

But what puzzled me was why they have me befriending Persephone. They never needed her before, why would they now? That and several other questions ran through my mind. “I do not know what to do. I stand at a crossroads, Galinthias.” A crossroads. It was now my turn. And I had an idea, but I needed to set it in motion now.

First I had to figure out who was behind all of this. And to do that, I needed to go to the man from before.

“Thank you, Galinthias. I needed that.” I smiled down at the feline as she curled up on the chair. I knew were to start and what to do. All I could hope for though was that everything would go according to plan and not deviate, but I am prepared to face anything. This could change my life. For the better or worse, I did not know.
♠ ♠ ♠
And here is chapter eight! Yay! I hope you have enjoyed it. :) I do apologize for any mistakes, I haven't had a chance to go over it. And I can't catch every mistake I make, so if you spot one, it would be beneficial if you would point them out to me. ^_^ Thank you.

So thank you all who have commented, recommended, and subscribed. I really appreciate it. c:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guide to the Greek Pantheon in this story.