Status: Chapter 1. working on Ch.2

The Star the Shines Black

Prolouge

My eyes snapped open and my hand covered my mouth to hold the scream back. The white folds of my cloak fluttered as I tied it around my neck. I glanced at my squad. They all seemed asleep though I knew that Leo, my Assistant Captain, was not. As I turned to leave the tent, a grabbed my long katana as I always do before heading out. The chilly night air tugged on my black hair but made no difference to me as I woke Vice. His white mane and tail stood out in stark contrast to his jet black coat in the moonlight. Without a bridle or saddle, I jumped on his back and galloped to the hell beyond the white tents standing at attention in the night.

"Three years and still no change, Vice," I whispered as I stared out the bare lands of the Shadow Massacre. The stench of blood still hung in the air and the grass refused to grow. I dismounted Vice and stepped over the skeleton of a Shadow Rider, one of the only ten killed. My eyes quickly found my reason for coming. I stumbled across the waste land to the far corner of the battlefield. From my cloak I pulled a wrinkled letter. I can still remember John handing it to me as we ran into battle three years ago.
" Give this to Sarah will you?" he said with a smile. Tears started to fall from my eyes as I read the envelope again.' To Sarah My Love'.
"Three years, John. Does Sarah know you're gone?" I choked out.
"Arya," I whipped around to see Leo's long, silver hair swishing in the wind and his copper eyes watching me carefully. Without saying a word, a clung to him. He wrapped his arms around me and stroked my hair. As I cried into chest, he stared out at my horrifying nightmare. At my first squad, still screaming, even in death.
♠ ♠ ♠
info on my writing style
words = flashback
I understand the you may be confused at the moment my writing style can be confusing at times. just hang in there all is explained.