Status: Brand-spanking-new. On this website at least

Defect.

Yi

It pumped through my veins as if it was a part of my blood, making me a stronger, more courageous person... In reality I was just hiding behind the bushes, waiting for the right moment to strike- though the adrenaline flowed through my veins, making me impatient.

It’s just another day; I told myself and took a deep breath to relax a bit.

I heard the rustling of leaves and my head snapped in that direction. Crouched and very carefully, I made my way over to the faint dirt path until I saw his tall lanky figure- he had always been more physically developed for his age. Now, I told myself, and with long steps I quickly closed up the distance between us. I used my last step to jump up on his back.

I smiled; I've just caught the uncatchable. With my added weight to his, we tipped over onto the forest floor. I fell off his back on the process.

"Venus", he said my name annoyed," the person who is IT isn't supposed to be hiding" he stood and stuck out his hand for me to take, and I gladly did," that defeats the whole purpose of hide and seek" he scolded me.

I giggled and hoped onto his back again. He started to walk out of the woods.

"This makes hide and seek more fun", I huffed making a small pouty face.

He rolled his eyes, even though I couldn't see his face I could tell that he did. "This defeats the entire purpose of the game", he complained- not only was he tall, he was really smart for his age too. But he was sulking that I had reversed the rules. I started to feel guilty for ruining the game.

I rested my forehead on the back of his head. His hair was tickling the tip of my nose.

"I'm sorry." I mumbled into his hair. I said it quietly but he still heard. He always heard.

"It's okay, Vee" he used his nickname for me, “you’re still my best friend. Even when you don’t listen to the rules” he laughed.

I immediately perked up, “you’ll always be my best friend too Tristan!”

“Yes. Always!” He shouted at the top of his lungs. It sent a few birds flying into the sky.

Ms. Ballentyne

The voice shook me out of my memory.

I suddenly wasn’t five and in the woods with my best friend, I was seventeen and in my Economics class. With about thirty pairs of eyes staring at me.

I cleared my throat, “Yes?”

“Please do stop making distracting faces while I am trying to teach.” My econ teacher said looking pretty annoyed.

I felt my face flare up. “Yes sir, sorry” I muttered while trying to sink further into my chair. The teacher accepted it and turned back to continue writing on the white board.

I was making face while I spaced out. Oh God, what kind of faces?

Then my answer was delivered. Rudely.

“Fish face”, a familiar voice called and I felt something hit the back of my head. I reached for it after it’d made its impact. It was a piece of paper with writing on one side, actually it’s not writing it’s a drawing of a fish- designed to look like my face.

Wow guys, real scary.

“Fish face”, someone called again even louder. The whole class heard and broke out into laughter. I used my hair as a curtain to hide behind.

The teacher whipped around immediately, “Mr. Daniels,” he thought that calling us by our last names was more intimidating, “do control your lackeys or you will receive a week of detention.”

He chuckled, “Yes Mr. Macross, but I have no control over what they do, or say.”

I scoffed and the entire class snickered with smirks plastered on each of their faces. We all knew that wasn’t true. He was their next-in-line Alpha. As soon as he’d come of age he’d challenge his father for the position.

And I of all people know that he will win.

“Better change that Tristan Daniels” Mr. Macross said using his full name, which coming from him should be considered as a threat. Tristan just nodded and scoffed.

And I remembered something.

I am no longer five, playing hide and seek in the woods with my Tristan Daniels my best friend. I am seventeen, in an Econ class with my arch enemy, Tristan Daniels.

Over time things change a lot.

The bell rang and before I was able to stand up Tristan and his friends had all left the classroom. I gathered my things and quickly walked out. Not wanting to run into Tristan or anyone from his pack, I sneaked to my locker and picked up all the books I needed to take home. Everything else I just crammed into my locker. Then I hurried on to the last class of the day, which for me was Art.

One of the dew classes that werewolves aren’t ever interested in taking. It was just another reason for me to sign up… and also because I really like art.

I practically ran to class. Well as much as I could, people in this school like to shove me into the wall whenever they get the chance to. I collided into a wall three times before I made to class. The teacher, Mr. Campbell, greeted me and handed me apron. He told me to get started on my project.

I agreed and went to work right away.

At the beginning of the year I was given a medium sized wooden block and told to let my heart chisel away until I reached my product. It’s been weeks and I’ve only chiseled down the top part, not to mention that this is my final. Mr. Campbell put on some music and everyone got working. My only friend, Robin, walked in with a big glass ball. She took out a stool and places next to my stool then she slammed the crystal ball down onto the table.

“Paint that.” She said and poked it, sending it into motion.

It rolled past my cube, “what?” I asked confused just as it rolled onto the floor with a loud thud. I’m amazed it didn’t shatter.

“Never mind,” she said and went to pick it up. She slammed it on the table again, “this little fucker is hard to paint”

She gets a ball and I get a cube. The world isn’t fair.

I shrugged and stared down my cube.

Robin got out a sketch pad and sketched different angles, a string of profanities coming out of her mouth the entire time. I began to chisel small parts away. And before I knew it the bell rang and I was walking home. Robin usually drove me home but she had archery practice today.

It was late when I got home and saw the car. I didn’t recognize it parked in my drive way, or anywhere actually. It’s really flashy. It wasn’t something anyone from the ThunderBird pack would drive, they didn’t like attracting attention.

Unlike Tristan’s pack, the Pavones, who thrived for the attention. They just lived for it. What can I say? They’re Pavones, they’re programmed like that.

The ThunderBirds, on the other hand, liked to lay low. While the Pavone’s are one to go in guns blazing and attack like a grizzly bear. The ThunderBirds liked to be silent and deadly, like a ninja. They aren’t one for glitz and glam. They’re so sophisticated and poised with the exception of my little sister, Andromeda, of course. She may look like a Pavone but when she opens her mouth theres no mistaking it, she’s a ThunderBird.

But I would never call her a Pavone. To be called a Pavone is a great insult now.

The flashy car in the driveway made me uncomfortable. It was foreign and dominated everything on the street. Just like an Alpha.

Then I thought of something, this must the wew Alphas car. He’s here a day early.

I feel myself make a disgusted face.

This is the car of the man that murdered my uncle. The one man that truly understood and accepted me when no one else did, and still do. I don’t want to enter my home and meet the guy that murdered the man I care more for than my own father.

I’d only want to strangle him on sight.

So instead of entering my home and getting killed for assaulting an Alpha I went through the back door, into the kitchen. I ignored the nervous voices coming from the living room, the mere power in the air, and I went straight to my room. It was at the very end of the hall so no one can make the mistake of entering.

They’re ashamed of me, I know it. They love me but they’re more ashamed of me than anything.

If I had a daughter like me I’d be ashamed of her too. If I were them I’d disown myself, but no my uncle never allowed it. He actually loved me- but he’s dead now, so what will they do to me?

They should disown me. I would.

Because I’m a werewolf that can’t shift.

A werewolf without a wolf.

So a Were. As in “were the hell is your wolf?”

I sighed and shook the thoughts from my head. If I keep thinking like that I’ll be depressing myself. Not just on the inside but the outside as well. I locked my bedroom door, did my homework, brushed my teeth and fell asleep wishing I was still five.
♠ ♠ ♠
After this chapter, it starts picking up.

Tell me what you think!

Happy reading