Status: Brand-spanking-new. On this website at least

Defect.

Er-Shi-San

My eyes went wide at his request, “N-n-I can’t,” I whispered so softly I was amazed he was able to hear me even with his enhanced abilities.

“Why not?”

“Alpha Henry.” I saw him flinch from the name I called him, “We can’t lie to the pack. As Alpha you have a duty to uphold and I’m pretty sure that lying about mates is a sure way to piss off your superiors. Don’t you have superiors that, wait—isn’t this breaking some sort of sacred law?”

These… I put my trust into these people I barely know.

Guaranteed I didn’t ask, they still didn’t tell. I never really knew anything about his past, and now this?

He sighed, “Yes, I suppose it would be. If I had a mate left.”

“How are you so sure she was your mate?” I asked softly.

He was far too young to be able to recognize her as his mate.

His eyes flashed up to mine and I saw all the anger and hurt that one question brought, “ People can see Venus, from a young age it’s pretty evident when two children are going to become mates. The way they look at each other and stay by their sides. Simply by the way they act. The pain I felt that day was no mistake. She was the one!”

“The one you still love.”

He growled loudly at me, “She’s gone! This is about YOU, about us, I can’t do anything about the past.”

“I’m sorry,” I whispered. The thought of agreeing to be his mate just wasn’t settling well with my body.

He took a deep breath, calm now “its fine.”

“Besides, they ignored me and now all of a sudden they want me? No. It doesn’t work that way.”

“You don’t know the full story,” He gave me a smile so soft that I nearly forgot that I was nearly spitting fire merely minutes before.

Before I could question him about what the full story was he spoke again “Look just consider it. We can take things slowly, and when you are comfortable enough we will make it official?”

“You’re asking me?”

“Yes. I am.”

I let out a deep breath, “yeah, well—uh I’ll see. I mean, yeah, I’ll think about it.”

“Great!” he grinned suddenly happy. He then leaned back in his chair and gave me an apprehensively look, “You know, I thought you would have arrive more angrily.” He said in an attempt to keep the conversation going.

I cocked an eyebrow, “did you?” I sighed, “Most of my energy was spent arriving here. None left to be mad I guess.”

He chuckled lightly, “spent on what? Pushing down on the gas pedal?”

“Oh, no I didn’t drive. Robins friend, Danny, drove us here.” I said with a soft nod at the end.

Alpha Henny seemed shocked for a moment. “What’s wrong for her to not drive?”

It wasn’t Alpha Henny asking it was Zak. He was having a silent conversation with himself the entire time I was here and now he just pops up beside me. My mouth flopped open and closed. His eyes were abalaze. But before I could answer Zak was storming out of the diner and headed towards her car. Alpha Henny was seconds behind him, calling out his name.

I stayed frozen in my seat as I heard his shouting, doors slamming, and Natalie’s shriek.

It wasn’t until I heard Robins voice shouting at someone to “back the fuck up!” that it occurred to me to run outside.

I launched myself out of the booth, shoes slapping on the tile as I used my whole body to force the door open. A few steps away stood Zak in a triangle hold with Alpha Henny on his back, his clenched fists full of Danny’s shirt collar as he shook him violently and snapped at him. Danny had his hands up and kept trying to push Zak away.

His furious Beta grip was way stronger than his puny human-baseball-player strength.

“Stand down Zak!” Alpha Henny kept shouting, tightening his hold on Zak.

Robin was spitting fire, “what the fuck man!” she kept trying to lung forwards but Natalie had managed to keep her back.

If this doesn’t stop soon, then the guys are going to spend the night in jail because a concerned citizen phoned the cops.

Or even worse, someone from the pack saw and decided to join in.

“Venus! His wolf’s in control!” Alpha Henny shouted at me.

I knew what I had to do.

I ran to Robin. Her face was red from the alcohol and all the shouting. Her dark eye makeup making the fury in her eyes all the more evident. She kept fighting against Natalie.

“Stop it,” Natalie hissed loudly at her, “you can’t get in trouble!”

“Robin,” I called her but all her attention was focused on the fight, “Robin!” I shouted again and she whipped her head to face mine.

“Breath with me.” I said.

She made a bewildered expression as if my request was so ludicrous, before turning back to the fight. I grabbed her face and forced her to look at me.

“Breath with me. Do it.”

I stared into her furious eyes, not bothering to turn around when I heard Zak, Henry and Danny all topple over onto the cold cement.

“Focus.”

I waited until she stopped struggling against Natalie and closed her eyes. “Okay, now with me”. I said as I took a deep breathe in.

Then out.

In.

Out.

In.

Out.

Robin was following my steps. I saw her body slowly start to relax.

I stopped breathing deeply, and she opened her eyes, “better?”

She nodded.

“Good. Now go stop your man.” I said stepping aside. Natalie gave a disbelieving look before grabbing her arm.

“Chill. I got this.” Robin breathed out and shook her arm free.

She jogged over to where the guys were rolling around on the ground. Alpha Henny was standing and trying to pry Zak off of Danny.

“Zak!” She screamed. He stopped punching Danny, but didn’t stop the growling. “Get your fucking British ass over here. Now.”

Zak instead snapped once again at Danny, who flinched backwards—as much as someone who’s pressed into the ground could flinch backwards.

“ZACHARY, I said NOW.” She bellowed.

I froze.

Zak froze.

Heck, even Alpha Henny stopped moving.

The raw force she put in that had me trembling.

With a last growling snap at Danny, Zak stood up and rolled back his shoulders before walking over to Robin. His eyes were molten gold, teeth still on display.

Robin reached a hand up to touch his cheek. I saw Zaks’ stance loosening, relaxing although not entirely. She continued to softly caress his cheek.

What I thought was going to be a caring moment, quickly turned sour.

She quickly pulled her hand back and then forward, slapping Zak.

“If you ever, and I mean ever dare raise a fucking hand against my friends, ever again.” She chuckled darkly, “then you will truly feel my wrath.”

Zak stood there, emotionless.

“Don’t be quick to assume shit about me either, because then we’ll have trouble” She took a step back, “this is your warning, first chance already gone. And remember, I don’t give out second chances.” She began walking away from him.

“I suggest you go home…Venus is staying with me.” She turned back around to look at me.

Natalie helped Danny up and they got into the car. Robin picked up the keys from the floor and briskly walked over to the drivers’ side of the car.

As I was getting in, I heard Zaks whimper and Alpha Henny’s consoling voice.

I swear to the Moon Goddess that Zaks lonely, hollowed out, heart broken whimper nearly broke my heart.

**

“Who the fuck does he think he is.” Robin muttered over her cereal.

After an incident like last night, how am I supposed to keep my secret any longer?

“You have to understand him, Robin.”

She angrily lifted an eyebrow at me, “say what now? Understand him? For going ape-shit on my friend, Vee you alright?” she asked putting a hand to my forehead.

I gently moved my head backwards, away from her cold hand, “Yeah I’m fine, but seriously, the guy thinks you’re in a relationship and then he see’s you hanging out with another guy…”

Robin scoffs, “Natalie was there too!” She shook her head, “and did you forget that he had a party crawling with infested little whores and didn’t even bother to tell me about it?” she asked looking me directly in the eye.

I could only gape at her; what do you expect me to say?

“Oh no he didn’t throw a party to meet chicks. It wasn’t even a party! It was a barbeque for the pack, who’s like family. It’s his job. Robin, you’ve got nothing to worry about you’re his mate! You’re the only girl he ever wants to see again.”

No.

I know that spilling my secret has the potential to ruin our friendship.

I’m not going to risk it.

I just have to make her understand any other way.

“Yeah,” she stood up with her empty bowl, “I thought so.”

I couldn’t say anything as I followed her lead and went to place my bowl in the sink as well, even though I didn’t really finish eating.

“Girls,” Mayra moaned, nursing her hangover with bottle of water that had crushed aspirin, “don’t fight. He was jealous, so he fought. You were jealous so you pout. End of story.”

“But you don’t see me try to fuckin’ punch the girls that crawled into his home!”

“Robin—” I began.

“Quit it, right now.” Mayra said, giving Robin her signature look. “What you’re arguing—you sound absolutely ludicrous. It’s jealousy. Both of you apologize to each other and get on with your lives.”

“But he—”

“But—But—But—But nothing! Nothing. He may have tried to beat up your friend but he didn’t. Now you flat out ignored him and he was left in the dark. Both of you messed up. Yeah?”

Robin looked around before grumbling, “yeah.”

“Good, now get your ass to class.” Mayra gave one more grunt before her head fell forwards and clashed right onto the dining table.

“Shit!” both me and Robin ran towards her. We lifted her head back up, Mayras eyes were lolling everywhere.

“I’m fine! I’m fine.” She suddenly said suddenly regaining her composure and swatting our helping hands away.

“We should get her into bed.” I whispered.

“Yeah, Mayra you need to sleep this shit off, okay?”

Mayra groaned in approval, so Robin helped her up. I tidied up the things left on the dining table, only one thought circling around me: how am I going to fix this?

**

I kept wringing my hands, over and over again. It was like I was an addict who had gone too long without their fascination.

“Vee don’t worry about me,” she sighed and looked over at the grand house, “I’ll come pick you up when I get outta practice.” Robin muttered as she rubbed her forehead.

She was dropping me off at Alpha Hennys house but it seemed more like she was driving her car right into her own death.

“Um, okay—you don’t have you ya’ know. You can leave me here.” I nearly whispered.

She chuckled sarcastically, “its not your face I don’t want to see right now, its… well, I have to talk about it with him sooner or later right?”

I nodded before gathering my things. I got out of the car, and before I closed the door I asked, “I’ll see you later then?”

“Yeah, see ya’ later.” She said with a weak smile.

I nodded and backed away from her and she sped off to class.

I took a deep breathe in and out, well then. With sweaty hands clinging onto my backpack, I took the few steps needed to enter Alpha Hennys home.

I knocked, no one answered. I looked around me and from across the cul-de-sac saw the curtain from Alpha Daniels home quickly close, was someone watching me?

Feeling paranoid, I opened the door anyways and walked right in. “Venus?” I heard a British accent say, “come in, come in.”

“Hey Nick.” I said with a small smile.

“I didn’t know you were coming, I-uh, Alpha Henny is in a conference call right now so-”

I shook my head, hair flying everywhere, “no no, I didn’t come here to look for him. Um, just came back since Robin has class right now…”

“Oh, then come take a sit. Want a cup of tea?”

I scrunched my eyebrows a bit, “ah, no thanks.” I said dropping my bag to the floor and plopping my ass right onto the couch. “Uh, I know I never asked, but where exactly in England did you move to?”

Bewilderment flitted across his face.

“Oh my Goddess,” I whispered, “are you part of the United Kingdom? I just assumed you were from like,”

“No-no-no-no-no- it’s quite alright. It happens a lot,” he nonchalantly shrugged, “ I’ve already gotten used to it. I’m from Hertfordshire in England.”

Nope, did not ring a bell.

“How is it over there?”

He formed a distant look in his eye, “although the weather is complete shit, its beautiful and very green. We lived more into the country side, because you know bigger houses and less curious eyes.”

“Do you miss home?”

He gave me a fleeting smile, “ ah, sometimes. I wish you could’ve seen the forest because wow, during fall they were just amazing to look at. It’s like you were walking right into wonderland.” He gave a big sigh before looking right at me, “but my home is here now.”

Why did he come here? Oh that’s right, Alpha Henny.

I gave him a shy smile and he returned it.

“Speaking of home, where is everybody?”

He chuckled lowly, “Brady’s out for a run, Zaks moping up in his room, and I’m just here.” He suddenly stood up and mere milliseconds later a kettle could be heard whistling from the kitchen.

“You sure you don’t want any tea?” he asked walking backwards into the kitchen.

I shook my head and turned to turn on the television—too bad there was still a fist sized hole right in the middle of it.

“Does Alpha Henny plan on replacing the TV any time soon?”

I could hear Nicks voice coming closer as he replied, “I don’t know if he’s looked into it, but I knew that Zak was supposed to do that—or Brady.” He reached the living room with a steaming white mug, “so actually, I’m not sure.” He shrugged before sitting down.

I nodded silently, Alpha Henny must be stressing and Zak depressed as well as Brady. I bet Nick doesn’t have any American currency either, so that means no TV for a while.

From the corner of my eye I saw Nick take a small sip before making a face. He promptly shook his head put went ahead and took another sip.

“This generic tea taste like horse shit.”

I let out a laugh that bellowed throughout the whole living room, and I’m pretty sure it could be heard all the way upstairs too.

“I told Brady to buy me tea and he brought back some tea bags, I want the real thing, the leaves.” He took another sip, “oh yuck, not even sugar can fix this.”

Then he took another sip.

“Stop drinking it if it tastes so bad!” I said in between fits of giggles.

“Yeah, you’re right. I should give it to Zak—maybe it’ll cheer him up” he said standing up and motioning for me to follow him.

I stood up and began to follow his footsteps up the stairs, “but I thought it tastes bad?”

“Yeah, but for some odd reason Zak still likes it.”

We made it to the top of the stairs, “I understand though, he’s sick.” He proceeded to walk down the hall, past my room, and Brady’s, past a few more doors and stopped at the door right before the master bedroom, “He’s love sick.”

He knocked, “Zak? Its Nick, and Venus.” There was no response from the other side of the door. Nick opened the door anyways.

It was so dark.
The drawn curtains were keeping the sunlight from radiating into his room. The only other source of light besides from the hallway was a cellphones light from what appeared to be a lump on the bed.

It was stuffy in there.

“Zak?”

Like no one had lived here in years,

“What are ya doin Zak?” Nick walked in with hot mug in hand, “I brought tea.”

His room was so sullen.

Nick wandered over next to the bed.

I reluctantly followed him. I was next to the bed when I noticed that the lump on the bed was Zak. He was staring at a photo of Robin on his phone.

It appeared to be taken discreetly. She was laughing with her head thrown back; she was sitting at a lunch table half eaten sandwich in hand. I was sitting next to her and I was smiling meekly down at my pizza.

“C’mon you need to eat something to sustain yourself. Here have tea!” Nick said drifting the mug around his face in an attempt to entice him.

Zaks red eyes never once lifted from his screen, from her smile.

“I don’t need tea.” His voice was gruff, heavy and cracking like if he spent all night long wailing.

“I need her.”

I didn’t know what caused me to say the next few words—maybe it was Zaks sunken eyes trained on a photo, or maybe it was the despair painted on Nicks face. Either way, I said it, “Well then you’d better get ready, she’s coming over right after practice.”

He quickly scrambled to sit up, “really?” both he and Nick asked me

I nodded happily, “yep she told me just before she dropped me off.”

Zak looked around the room, “how do I know you’re not—“

“Yeah, I don’t think Robin will want to stay here with you looking like this.” I said cocking an eyebrow.

Zak shot up into the bathroom faster than a bullet.

Alpha Henny backed up just in time before Zak was able to ram him down in his great run to the shower.

“What was that? What finally got him out of bed?” he asked with a wide but confused smile.

“Robin might be coming over tonight.”

Might be?!” Nick lowly hissed, “Venus. There is no might be, you promised him his mate, and now you have to deliver.” He said running his hands down his face.

“Don’t worry, she was coming over to pick me up anyways. I just have to make sure that she … stays.”

The idea sounded easier as I spoke it out loud.

“Good luck with that.” Alpha Henny said shaking his head, “By the way, I got the paperwork signed and turned in.” he handed them over to Nick who wearily grabbed them.

“What?”

“You and Brady are high school students now, congrats!” Alpha Henny said with fake enthusiasm before quickly walking backwards and out of the room.

“Hey! HEY!” Nick chased after him, “WE GRADUATE IN SIXTH FORM IN THE UK, I’M NOT GOING BACK!”

Sixth form?

“Nope, you’re going!” Alpha Henny shouted back.

He’s going to school with me?

That means Tristan is going to see that he’s returned, and if he doesn’t flip a shit—someone else will.