Status: Brand-spanking-new. On this website at least

Defect.

Er-Shi-Jiu

“It hurts! It hurts!” I screamed.

Robin hissed, “Stop moving dammit!”

Robins hand inched closer to my eye and she kept hissing at me to stop blinking, but I couldn’t. “I can’t do this. I can’t.” she said throwing her hands up and throwing herself back into my bed.

“No please, it hurts.” I whined, rapidly blinking my eyes.

Just then Nick walked in with a small white bottle in his hand. He tossed it at me but, being in my current predicament—a blurry blob flew right past me and smacked the wall.

“Oh! Sorry!” Nick ran to pick it up. He handed it over to me, “they’re eye drops, it’ll help moisten up your contacts and they’ll come off easier.”

I held up the bottle, everything was blurry. “How do you know this?” I couldn’t even read the label. He could be handing me a small bottle of mouthwash and I couldn’t even tell.

I’ve learned my lesson: never fall asleep with your contacts still in.

“Google...” Nick replied.

After moistening up my contacts, I was able to pop them off. Everything instantly became so much clearer, which didn’t make sense. They were supposed to help me see, not make my eyesight worse. Once they were off Nick left to get ready for class.

Robin mumbled that she wasn’t going. Just waiting for the moment the hospital opened their visitors hours.

When they all left, I went back into the bathroom and brought out a new pair of contacts. I carefully placed them in and blinked setting both of them into the correct place.

Blurry. Everything was blurry.

I took only one out. Now it was only blurry in one eye. I stared curiously at the box of contacts. They were low level, or whatever it’s called, so why am I seeing blurry with them on? Vision can’t be corrected in a month can it?

I took the other contact out and placed it back in its case.

My eyes were better in a month… could that mean?

I lifted my shirt to look at my stomach, it was no longer nice and soft but tone from all the training I had undergone. I turned slightly to the side and saw the scar Andromeda had left behind. Some of the scabs hadn’t completely peeled off yet, but I could see the shiny silvery scar beneath the ones that had.

I dropped my shirt, and began to get ready for school.

It was silly to think I had advanced healing capabilities.

I went around and finished getting ready. I stopped in front of Brady’s door and knocked, “Brady you ready?”

I didn’t get an immediate reply so I walked into Zaks room to say goodbye to Robin. He had come in while I was getting ready and carried her down the hall to his room. He felt his mates need for comfort.

I then walked back and knocked again on Brady’s door. After no answer, I walked in to find his room dark. “Brady?” I asked walking over to the left side of his bed.

“You okay?” I asked gently patting down his hair. He was face down sprawled over his bed.

He grunted.

“You can’t miss your second day of school.” I said softly, still patting him.

“Don’t feel well.” He said groggily turning his face to the side. I placed my hand on his forehead to feel to see if he had a fever running. He didn’t.

Do wolves get sick?

I should ask the Doc.

“Okay.” I said so softly I could barely hear myself. I let my hand fall back to my side. Leaving Brady like this didn’t feel right. He wasn’t feeling well enough to come see his mate at school.

“Text me, call me, email me, if you need anything. I have a phone now.” I said with a small smile. Brady didn’t reply even as I closed his bedroom door behind me.

If he couldn’t go see his mate, I would bring his mate to see him.

Too bad I couldn’t find Criss anywhere. Missing during lunch. Absent in English too.

If Criss were here I’d be able to ask for help in Chinese. I was barely informed today that I needed to do some serious extra credit work if I wanted to pass with a decent grade. It shouldn’t have come across as a surprise, seeing as how I missed a lot of school days and didn’t even bother with my Chinese work. I focused on the more important classes.

Fortunately for me, I had a friend who was fluent in the language.

“You need to come to my house.” Tristan said, looking at Jason. It snapped me out of my reverie.

We were in our groups in Mr. Macross’ class.

Jason looked between Tristan and me, “you mean Venus too, right?”

Tristan locked his jaw as he nodded. “You’re house is too small, and we can’t go to hers.”

Of course we couldn’t go to mine.

It killed me that he knew what happened a couple nights ago.

Ms. Rhodes was recovering well since she was admitted into the hospital. She was currently undergoing a detox. She had so much alcohol in her system it was a wonder she was still had a liver. Or breathing for that matter.

Slowly, as Mayra allowed a bit of alcohol into their home to release stress, Ms. Rhodes became reacquainted with her old addiction. Ms. Rhodes would drink the entire bottle. She began buying more and stealing Mayra’s when she wasn’t looking.

It didn’t go well with her medication.

Her mind was going on a haywire, as well as her body. She nearly died.

He only knew because Pavone’s ruled the law enforcement in this town. Just how the Thunder Birds heavily integrated themselves into the health care part, such as doctors and nurses. Without that influence, he probably would not have ever known.

“Lets go to the library.” I suggested. Both heads snapped to look at me. They looked blankly at me. “We can work on our project there without people disturbing us.”

Neutral territory, I wanted to say but instead I looked Tristan directly in the eyes. I tried not to notice how they pulled me in, instead I focused on his long eyelashes. He gave me a slight nod, showing that he understood. “I agree with her.” Tristan said, leaning back in his seat.

“Okay.” Jason said with a smile, “that’s settled then.”

“Class!” Mr. Macross called out from the front of the front of the classroom. People weren’t paying attention to him. He clapped his hands, the chatter in the classroom quickly quieted down. “As you know, the grade on this project dictates whether you graduate with an A…” he looked around the classroom, “or not graduate at all.”

Sharp intakes of breaths were heard all around.

It shouldn’t have come across as a surprise to them. A lot of the senior teachers had decided to place the majority of our grades on a final project versus a final test.

“Don’t worry. Spring break is around the corner. You and your groups will have plenty of time to get together to completely design your work. I’m sure you will all do fine.” Mr. Macross finished, but I didn’t exactly believe him with his emotionless face.

I felt my phone vibrate twice in my pocket. Tristan shot me a look but I closed my eyes. Alpha Henny had presented me with a cell phone yesterday morning. It wasn’t just any phone; it was a smart phone with touch screen, Internet access, and other random applications.

The bell rang and I shot up out of my seat faster than Tristan could even put his folder away. I turned to Jason with a small smile. “You should text me so we could get a day and time in order.” I said holding out the palm of my hand to him.

I had written my new number down on the inside of my palm so I could practice remembering it throughout the day, “I got a new number.” I explained. He gave a small laugh and scribbled the ten numbers down.

I then turned my palm to face Tristan, who was in the middle of pulling out his phone. He took a quick snapshot. It would arise more questions if I didn’t try giving it to him.

With a soft goodbye, I then yanked up my bag and walked out the classroom.

Nick was by my side in a flash; he threw an arm around my shoulder as he escorted me out. “Giving him your number was not a smart move.” He said once we were in the over crowded hallways.

Tristan hasn’t even fully recognized him. He hasn’t pieced together that it was Nick who he got expelled all those years ago.

I shrugged. “I’m going to graduate even if it kills a certain Alpha.”

Nick gave a low chuckle but didn’t comment further.

He unwrapped my arm as we reached my locker. I shoved in the books from my locker to my bag. Spring break was in a few days and that meant a lot of work.

“Really? We get a week long holiday and you plan on doing school work?”

“The boy from Hertfordshire, England does not like work I see.” I mumbled as I closed up my locker.

Nick let out a loud laugh that drew a lot of eyes to us.

I pulled out my phone to check why it had vibrated. I had a new email titled urgent from Zoltan but I knew better than opening it in front of Nick. I closed the notification and instead opened a new text messages to Robin. She didn’t go to school today, and Zak (the ever doting mate) even asked her to stay.

How you holding up?

I clicked send.

“She’ll be fine. Zak’s with her.” Nick said before tugging on my bag’s strap. We walked down the hall and into Art class together.

My phone vibrated once, signaling it was a text message.

Meh.

Then it vibrated once again.

I’m missin out on art :(

I smiled at her reply. I took off my sweater and hung it on the back of my chair. I spent the rest of the period trying to simultaneously catch up on my own work while helping Nick figure out what he wants to do with his.

He chose paints but hasn’t decided on what to paint.
Class was surprisingly over quickly.

I arrived home and immediately went to go check on Brady. Robin was at the hospital and she asked me to bring some food for her, Mayra and Zak. So I swung by to pick up phone chargers and pack little dinners.

I heard his voice through his door, so I knocked softly.

“Come in.”

I opened the door to find Brady skyping on his bed. Using my laptop. How did he get that?

“Oh I’m sorry.” I said taking a few steps back out the door.

Brady waved his hands over at me, “come! Come! Meet my sister!”

“You have a sister?”

“Yeah.” He chuckled, “come on, come meet her.” I began walking over to his side.

“Let me formally introduce you to Luna Charlotte, of the Northern Hills Pack.”

Luna? I asked myself as I sat down crossed legged next to him. His sister was pretty, with the same copper colored hair as Brady. She, however, had big pretty eyes and oddly resembled the actress that portrayed Gwen in the new Spiderman movies, the one with Andrew Garfield.

He then turned to the screen, “Sis, this is Luna—”

“Lennox?” she asked, looking like she just saw a ghost.

As in Alpha Henry’s mate? I could see my face visibly pale in the little box showing our faces.

“N-no, its Venus. Venus Ballentyne. Nice to meet you.”

“My Goddess, you look just like her.” She said still looking at me with an open mouth.

My eyebrows furrowed together, “um, I’m sorry?”

“Wait a sec!” She held up a finger as she stood up and ran off, then she came running back, “I’m sincerely sorry for the rudeness Luna, but I just have to—one sec” she said before she ran off again. I looked at Brady as we could hear her yelling for their Mom.

“I have no idea what’s going on Vee.”

Suddenly we hear a scuffling noise and a woman’s voice complaining, “Honestly Charlotte, did you have to drag me in here?” she said as she sat down with a huff. She looked like your average mom, but I knew she was older with her graying coppery hair (I can see where Luna Charlotte and Brady get their hair from). She looked kind though, with her light pink shirt and glasses hanging around her neck.

“Yes Mom, look, look, look.” Luna Charlotte said repeatedly jamming her finger at the computer screen with each ‘look’ she said.

Their mother turned and a big smile graced her face, “Brayden, how are you my sweet baby boy?”

“Mom!” Brady groaned.

Her eyes swiveled over to me, and she too looked like she saw a ghost, “L-lennox?”

“No Mom.” Luna Charlotte said from behind her, “That’s Luna Venus, Henry’s soon to be mate.”

“What a striking resemblance.” Their mother said, pulling up the glasses that hung around her neck. Luna Charlotte simply nodded, her eyes still locked onto me.

I looked like Alpha Henry’s deceased mate?

**

My Goddess, I did look like Lennox.

“The resemblance is uncanny.” Luna Charlotte said as she held up another photograph of the tiny pup. I stared at the screen, not blinking as I stared at the mini-me grasping onto a inner tube, toothless grin showing. Luna Charlotte stood next to her with half an ice cream in her hand, the other half on her face.

Her dark wavy hair and her skin tone matched mine to a T, but that wasn’t what made us similar. It was our facial structure. It was almost exactly the same. I bet if I pulled out some of my baby pictures they would be exact copies.

But, I don’t think I have any pictures of me as a child. Possibly in the attic.

“If she were still here, there’d be no doubt in my mind you two would be confused often for one another...” Brady’s Mom said mumbling to herself in the back.

After she saw me, she ran up to the attic and shuffled through boxes until she came back with a small tin box. She unlatched it to show old photographs. They were frayed and dusty but they were the remaining photos she had of Lennox.

Luna Charlotte brought down that photograph and held up another one. This must’ve all been taken when they were vacationing at a lake somewhere.

“Why haven’t I seen any of these?” Brady asked, completely awe-stricken as I was.

Luna Charlotte brought down the photo of Lennox eating a watermelon with Luna Charlotte, their mother sighed, “Henry went through a phase were he burnt everything that reminded him of her.”

“It was his cooping method, a shitty one at that, but a method nonetheless.” Luna Charlotte said with a ‘what-can-you-do?’ shrug.

“What the hell.” I whispered as Luna Charlotte held up another photograph. It was Luna Charlotte, Lennox and a grumpy Alpha Henry smashed into a small paddleboat. They were adorable.

“I got it!” Brady’s mom suddenly shouted. Luna Charlotte dropped the photo to turn to look at her mom. Her face was the pure definition of epiphany.

“This happens with twins!” she snapped.

“What?” Brady asked.

“Brady, baby, when a woman gives birth to twins, its not uncommon that their children or even grandchildren look identical to each other.”

Luna Charlotte turned to look at me, “Are any of your ancestors twins?”

I gave a one-shoulder shrug, “I don’t really know…”

“Well that was anti-climatic,” Luna Charlotte quietly muttered.

“But, I don’t get it, how would her ancestor end all the way over there? —What does this mean?” Brady asked

Luna Charlotte threw her hands up, “Fuck if I know!”

“Charlotte!” we heard Brady’s moms voice, “that is no language for a Luna!”

“Mom!” Luna Charlotte groaned, dropping the picture giving us the perfect view of her eye roll.

Brady turned to me, “I swear she acts more like a Luna than this.”

“Oh, speaking of which, when did you become Luna? I want to formally congratulate you and introduce you to my mate. A trip is in order.” She said with a wicked grin.

“Oh-uh, you see, we haven’t uh… consummated the… mating.”

“He hasn’t marked her.” Brady said in a bored tone.

“Oh!” Luna Charlotte’s eyes went wide, “why not? Second thoughts?”

“N-no. well” I sighed, “I’m not ready. I’m not sure yet.”

“Wait a second.” She said slowly, “You’re not sure?”

I nodded.

She turned to look at her mom; they must’ve been mind linking because after looking wordlessly at each other then their mom leant forward with a soft smile, “honey, I mean, Luna, ah no—well I’ll just call you Venus.”

I nodded—with all this nodding my head was ready to bounce off my neck.

“Are you not sure, because you have not yet moved on from your last mate?” what. “See, while I may not know the pain of losing a mate, it is best when we try to be happy because they would want us to be happy and let go—”

“I’m sorry, I beg your pardon but what? Mate? What mate?” I asked.

“Mom she’s never…” I held my breath thinking that Brady was going to tell them that I had never shifted, “she’s never found her mate.” Brady then grabbed my wrist and held it up to the camera.

“No mate less mark either.”

Luna Charlotte and her mom looked incredibly confused.

“Then why is she mating to Henry?” they both asked, they looked at each other but then looked back to the computer, “What about her mate?” they asked at the same time again.

“I—I—“ I’m not comfortable as to where this conversation is going.

“Venus!” Nicks voice rang from down stairs, but at this moment his voice sounded like my saving grace. “The dinners are packed, you ready?”

I looked to Brady, “we have to go to the hospital, and they’re waiting for us.”

“Oh Goddess, the hospital, what happened? Is everyone fine?” Luna Charlotte asked.

“No yes yes—actually we gotta go check that out, someone coulda’ died—bye Mom! Bye Charlie!” Brady quickly said in one breath, waving his hand, and suddenly closed my laptop.

We both let out a loud sigh of relief.

“So that’s your sister huh?”

“Yep.” He said dragging out the ‘e’.

“Luna of your pack?”

“Yep, she’s the oldest. Found her mate first. Only fair.”
I nodded and stood up. It felt like Brady wasn’t totally comfortable with talking about his past so I was just going to leave it there. He can tell me when he wants to, I’m not going to push him.

Brady stood up with me and went along with Nick and me to the hospital. One thought kept reappearing in my head.

Did I have a blood relation to the Beta’s family? They were in another pack, presumably far away, so how?

Everything with Ms. Rhodes was going fine. She was finally out of intensive care, but she was still under strict watch. Mayra wouldn’t allow Robin to see her and that pissed her off, so she was venting her anger out through archery more and more with each passing day.

Unfortunately, a certain Alpha-to-be did not have the same anger management.

“I can’t meet that day. I have work.” Tristan ground out through gritted teeth, “We can go later.”

“I can’t do later.” I quickly said, “I can’t be out late.”

“What are you? Twelve? I thought you were a Lu—AGH, was that necessary!” he hissed at me. I rubbed the tip of my foot that I had jammed into his shin.

I slit my eyes and shot daggers at him.

He was about to say Luna right in front of Jason.

“Yes.” I breathed, “It was. You were being rude.”

Tristan grumbled and looked away, “fine then, you two decide.”

We agreed on meeting every possible moment at the local library, which meant going early morning to until mid afternoon. Then if we needed more time then we would stay more.

Moments later, Jason went up to turn in another one of our outlines.

I turned to look at Tristan who was slouching back in his seat, “Look, I know you have problems with what your best friend going through tough times but that does not mean you can openly say that-that name.”

“You’re right. I apologize.” He said angrily. Someone was not too happy about being in the wrong. He looked like a scolded child.

“Ms. Ballentyne.” Mr. Macross said before placing a counselor summons slip on my desk, “Go immediately.”

I sighed and gathered up my things. I was shoving my binder into my bag when Tristan whispered, “I hope you realize we will be spending a lot of time together.”

I gave him a confused look before hoisting my bag up onto my shoulder. I waved the summons slip at Nick, who was at the back of the class; he gave me a nod back before returning to tape up posters.

I’ve been summoned nearly every day, and every single time I end up sitting in her office not speaking to her. I could tell she was getting frustrated but she was not giving up.

I wish she would just snap and give up like Tristan.

Wait. My shoes stopped tapping onto the linoleum floor.

“I hope you realize we will be spending a lot of time together.”

Shit. Alpha Henry wants me nowhere near Tristan. I have to see him for at least three hours every day over the break.

Alpha Henry couldn’t even stand me being in the same room as him for school. Now imagine when I’m going to be seeing him on my own will? But its for school.

He’ll understand right?

No, no he won’t. He didn’t let Brady see Criss for a while as punishment, and they were mates—they were meant for each other.

Alpha Henny is going to flip his shit. He’s going to start a war. People are going to die. People are going to die. It’s not going to be civil or discreet.

The packs will be destroyed.

Our secret will be revealed.

“Venus?” a big hand was placed on my back. “Are you alright?”

I hadn’t realized that I was on the floor, bent over and staring directly at the hallways checkered tile floor. Gasping, I shook my head. I could barely hear him over the pounding in my head.

“C’mon let me help you up.” Hands stained with watercolor appeared before me, in a gesture to help me up. There was only one man who worked with paint here, Mr. Campbell. I shook my head, my breathing ragged.

I didn’t want to move.

“Okay, okay.” He whispered. “I’m going to rub your back to help you, is that alright? Do you allow me?” I nodded weakly and he did a slow rubbing motion, “take deep breathes. In. Out. In. and out, what you’re feeling right now will pass.”

It will pass—because I’m not going to let this gotdamn feelings run rampant throughout me. I closed my eyes, no longer focusing on my breathing.

I imagined myself in front of the faucet again.

Water was rushing out, pushing me out, nearly drowning me in the process. The current was so strong I didn’t think I could work past it.

I shouted my pain, it sounded like I was sobbing, then suddenly it was all gone.

No more panic.

No more terror.

No more rushing feelings.

I could breathe.

“All better now?” Mr. Campbells voice was music to my poor ears. I looked up at him and smiled, “yes.” He helped me up. His face looked relieved, like he was truly worried over me

“Thank you.” I whispered

“May I ask what brought that on?” he asked with his hands on his hips. He was getting faint paint stains on his black pants.

“I just, I-I was-” I was starting to panic again.

“Okay, okay, I won’t ask… we should get you to the nurse.”

I pointed to the summons on the floor, “I have to go to the counselor.” I picked up the crumpled piece of paper.

He sighed, “Well. All right. But assure me that you will go see the nurse afterwards. Please take care of yourself Venus, I don’t want one of my best students getting sick.”

I quietly thanked him again before I quickly walked down the hallway to Ms. Wallace’s office. I made sure to get a drink of water before I knocked on her door.

Nothing was really different this time around either. She just sat behind her desk and asked me how my classes were going and that I could trust her—but who would trust a stranger?

I gave her simply, short answers.

After another fifteen minutes of awkward forced conversation, she sighed and gave in. She signed a slip, noting the time I was let go from her office.

I walked out and nearly crashed into someone. Pulling back I saw it was Nick, his swirling eyes watched me closely, “how did it go?”

“Nothing new.” I said. He slung his arm over my shoulder and drove me towards the direction of my locker. My phone vibrated and I pulled it out to see that it was another email marked urgent by Zoltan.

I should really check both out before I forget again.

“I need to use the restroom like-” My voice trailed off as I saw a guy with a black eye round around the corner, he saw me and with wide eyes he swore loudly before running away. The phone almost fell from my hand.

It was the guy that had given me a bloody nose.

“Hey!” I shouted but he only cursed louder and practically busted into a sprint. The number of students in the hallways had trickled down considerably so it made it easy for me to run after him.

“Venus!” I heard Nick shout after me

“Hey, you! Wait!” I shouted, the guy turned around saw me and booked it even faster.

He was faster than me; I was going to lose him as he rounded another corner. Nick zoomed past me. His steps were thundering with every step in the nearly empty halls.

They both rounded the corner at the same time and I heard a loud –OOMF!

The sound of scuffles were heard, I quickly turned the corner shouting, “NICK STOP!”

But he wasn’t the one that needed to be stopped.

A girl stood in between Nick and the guy with the black eye. She had one smooth ebony hand jutted out towards Nick neck while the other one was behind her grasping onto a set of books.

Nick was growling lowly and I took in the girl’s stance.

Her legs were placed a part in an attacking stance. The serious, blank face she had on did not gave way to emotions. Her red lips were in a straight line, her winged eye makeup made the slits of her eyes deadly.

“Nick?” I whispered.

The guy with the black eye trembled behind the girl with the red lips.

“Is there a reason why you were chasing my pack member?” the girl said in a smooth voice. Her eyes did not once stray away from Nick.

“He disrespected my Luna.” Nick growled out.

“As I know, his punishment was already dealt out.”

“He ran.” Nick said. He was slowly backing up to cover me completely.

“Shawn.” The girl said turning sideways to look at the trembling guy, “Don’t be an idiot next time. Or I will let you be run down. Understood?”

“What happened?” I whispered, meanwhile the girl with the red lips scolded her pack member.

Nick stood next to me, “This knobhead knocked me back before I-”

The girl whipped around, her afro-textured hair not moving one bit. “You pup, will do well to not insult me.”

Nick snarled, “I am the Luna’s –”

“And I am an asset to my packs company. I am a Delta, and you will remember that.” She said, her ruby red lips ending up in a snarl.

“A Delta?” I asked softly. I wasn’t expecting an answer but she turned to look at me, swapping her snarl out for a kind smile.

“Yes, Luna. A Delta, a warrior wolf.” She told me, not an ounce of a condescending tone in her voice.

A femme wolf fighter? Amazing.

“Amazing.” I whispered.

She stuck her hand out for me to shake. She gave me a wide genuine smile, her straight teeth shining out against her ebony skin. “Rochelle Williams, a Delta to the Pavone Pack.” She introduced herself.

Ignoring Nicks low growls, I shook her hand, “Venus Ballentyne. Nice to meet you.”

Nick grabbed the strap of my bag and yanked me back, allowing his arms to wrap around me. The girl simply rolled her eyes at this gesture.

“The pleasure’s all mine Luna.” She took a step back. “Now, if you don’t mind I’ve got to get going if I want to finish my homework before training.” With a smile at me and narrowed eyes at Nick, she was off down the hall tugging her pack member by the scuff of his collar.

“Are there many Delta’s that are femme wolves?”

Nick looked away, “its uncommon. To meet one so young is rare though.”

“Are you one?”

He still wasn’t looking at me, “Almost.”

“Almost?” I quirked an eyebrow.

“I came here, to watch over you. It stopped my training, though I didn’t make it the first time. There are no femmes Delta’s where I’m from.”

“Training?”

He nodded, “while Beta’s and Alpha’s are born into it. Delta’s train into their position, that’s not to say that they aren’t born into it either but not every Delta’s pup will grow up to be like their parent, like an Alpha pup or Beta pup would.”

I nodded.

“They’re fourth in the pack hierarchy, consider them the main military force to the pack.” He said just as the warning bell went off above us.

I gripped my cell phone suddenly remembering the emails from Zoltan. “Okay, well let me go to the restroom, really quick.” I said while stuffing the counselors’ slip into my bag. He nodded and grabbed my bag while telling me he’d get my things from my locker.

I sped walked down the hall and to the girls’ bathroom. I didn’t bother checking to see if anyone was there because the warning bell had already rung and students should’ve already been in their respective classes.

I was looking at my phone when a shrill voice asked, “Nick?”

I thought the restrooms were empty, so I was shocked upon hearing Kelsey’s voice to say the least.

“Stay away!” Kelsey yelled, tears welling up again.

I froze mid-step. I slowly placed my hands up. “Kel-sey?” I said her name slowly.

She was shaking her tear-stained face. Her bottom lip quivered as she looked at me disbelievingly. “It was you?”

“Okay, you need to back up like five steps.” I still had my hands up, “What was me?”

Her quivering lip gave way to her tears. “My-my mate—you smell like him.” She said wailing.

“Your mate? What?” I was confused. Who had touched me today that didn’t normally?

Was it the guy with the black eye? Or Rochelle?
Suddenly I remembered Nick hugging me in an attempt to get me away from Rochelle. I’d usually slip off my sweater and leave it in class so I wouldn’t get it wet while washing my hands, but this time his scent was still embedded heavily into me.

“Nick?” It dawned upon me, “Nick is your mate?”

She nodded before another bout of tears caused her to collapse to the floor in a sobbing mess. I began to run to her.

“No! No!” she shouted at me, her hands up in an attempt to stop me from approaching her. “I can’t handle it. His scent—I can’t.”

It was like the faucet was slammed open again. I felt the rush of emotions overcome my entire body. They overwhelmed all of my senses. I wanted to strangle him.

“I’ll fix it.” I quickly said as I ran out the door. I couldn’t believe Nick would do something so—so—just something so callous as rejecting his mate.

Didn’t he see how Brady was when he couldn’t see Criss?

Or how his own damn brother became when he thought Robin didn’t want to talk to him any more?

It was cruel.

I didn’t see Nick by my locker so I ran towards the Art class.

“No running in the hall!” I ignored the voice that echoed down the hallway. I was too furious to stop for anybody.

Oh, I was beyond furious.

I was livid.

I was fucking flaming.

I entered the classroom to see Mr. Campbell behind his desk, his feet propped up and a comic book in his hand. He looked up at me confused, “Are you alright?”

I gave him a tight, forced smile and zeroed in on Nick in the back of the classroom. He had an easel set up and was sketching something on the canvas. Rows of assorted paints were on the table next to him.

I walked briskly down the aisle. The other students were working too diligently to even look at me. Once I reached him, he glanced up and gave me a smile—but no, his eyes were not going to swirl me into oblivion today.

“Hey Venus, I kind of figured I’d paint the sunset back home and-”

I grabbed the bottle of paint and squeezed roughly. He froze and slowly turned to look at me, the orange dripped down one side of his face.

“What is your-”

“How dare you.” I panted, “How dare you destroy someone’s heart like that.” I whispered.

Nick looked at me; no expression crossed his face besides that of recognition. “How did you find out?”

“Its hard not to find out when you run into her in the bathroom every day.”

He swore underneath his breath.

“I should have known. You always came back smelling tangy sweet.” He muttered wiping away the paint from his eye.

“You’ll fix this.” I hissed.

“Why should I?” He huffed, “she’s not the one made for me alright? She’s bullied you into oblivion and you honestly think she deserves the happy bliss that comes with a mate? Do you honestly believe that?”

“Don’t do this to yourself.” I whispered. Without a mate, he’ll only grow demented.

“I always planned to be a Delta. I won’t need a mate then.”

“Bullshit.” I said so softly I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t hear me.

“Whoa.” Robins voice came from behind me. “What happened to you?”

“You will fix this and you will fix this now.” I was gritting my teeth so hard, I wouldn’t be surprised if they snapped off.

“Sir?” Nick called out, his swirling eyes locked onto mine.

“Nick—what in heck happened?” Mr. Campbell asked.

Nick simply shrugged, “May I use the wash room? It was an accident.” Then under his breath he grumbled, “a stupid one.”

He began to walk to the front of the class, and when he passed me I whispered, “At least try.”

He gave a curt nod before he left the classroom.

“What the hell was that all about?” Robin asked confused.

I shrugged, “My hand slipped.”

Robin laughed, “That was one hell of a slip.” She sat down and brought out her sketchpad. Her crystal ball was coming along nicely.

Nick didn’t come back for the rest of the class period. I would’ve been angry had he come back in five minutes. The fact that he’s taking a long time means that he’s actually trying.

Robin had to leave because she had archery practice—honestly; it was the only reason she came to school today. Their competitions were quickly coming up.

I didn’t leave the classroom but instead stayed to catch up on my work.

Mr. Campbell sat on the desk in front of mine. He placed his feet up on the chair and rested his elbows on his knees. I didn’t say anything as I continued to work on my project.

“Venus...” Mr. Campbell started and I heard him sigh. “I’m not entirely sure how to begin this.”

I glanced up at him and he was looking away, towards the windows.

“Am I failing?” I asked in a weak voice. I don’t think I can handle failing Chinese and Art. How am I going to graduate?

He quickly turned to look at me, “oh, no! you’re one of my best students! It’s just… I just, wanted you to know that you can talk to me. I’m here.” He said placing a hand over his heart.

I wasn’t sure weather to be frightened or relieved.

“For whatever it is, this classroom,” he motioned his hands around the entire room, “is a safe haven for you. For anyone, actually.”

I nodded softly.

“I thought I was making it clear to you that you could come and speak to me with confidence but after what-uh happened in the hallway, and in my classroom, I see that I wasn’t clear enough.”

Mr. Campbell wasn’t necessarily uncomfortable, the vibes I got from him told me he was worried.

“ Venus. Although I am your teacher and you my pupil, I am also your friend and I will try my damndest to keep you safe. Alright?”

I nodded again.

“Alright.” He whispered standing up and pushing the chair in. “I’ll be at my desk. If you need me or… want to chat.” He then left me to continue working on my project.

I felt my hands shaking as I pressed into the wood. I’m not sure why I couldn’t keep them steady. Half my dang carving was shagged and the other smooth. The vision of what I wanted this to turn out to be was faintly in the back of my mind.

Our emotions affect our work.

“Mr. Campbell?” my voice rang out into the classroom. I saw him look up from his desk, uncapped green marker in hand. I had all his undivided attention on me.

I opened and closed my mouth before I gathered the courage to say, “Have you ever felt invisible?”