Status: This is the brand new story I'm working on. Hope you enjoy!

Good for Nothing

Chapter 10

By lunchtime, we were both ready to roll; excited about the day ahead. This time, there were no plans; it would be spontaneous and leisurely. We were dressed practically; it was bitingly cold out even though the streets were bathed in glorious sunshine.

As much as Heath said he’d drive I managed to persuade him otherwise. I wanted to walk hand in hand with him. I wanted people to see us like this – to see that we were in love. I also wanted it to be a day where we could pop in and out of any pub along the way without Heath having to worry. There was no time limit. Even if our date took us out into the night, it really wouldn’t matter; in fact, I kind of hoped it would.

As we walked down the cobbled high street we spotted Sarah, who stopped dead in her tracks and stared at us as if we had just landed our space ship in the centre of town. Gathering her composure, Sarah ran over to us; her smile reaching us way before she did.

“What are you two love birds doing out of your nest?” Sarah asked, pulling us both into a strong, slightly uncomfortable hug. No ‘hello’ or ‘how are you?’ but then, that’s the norm with Sarah. I didn’t really know exactly how or what to answer but Heath stepped in at just the right time.

“Well, you know what Sarah?” Heath said once we’d been released, “Let’s just say we don’t do ‘posh’! One night of snobbery was more than enough for us so today, we just want to be ourselves and enjoy a local pub or five. We want to drink beer and have fish and chips for tea. You are, of course, more than welcome to join us.”

Sarah laughed as she shook her head and waved the suggestion away as if it were a fly buzzing around her head.

“Yeah right, and be little Miss Gooseberry? No thank you and I mean that in the nicest possible way.” she said, looking straight at me; a knowing twinkle in her eye. “You two just go and have fun! Just think of me later when you go and get your fish and chips though; I haven’t had any in ages.”

Sarah was practically salivating; zoning out right there in front of us.

“Sarah?” I said, waving my hand in front of her unblinking eyes, “Earth calling Sarah.”

Sarah snapped out of her trance immediately.

“Would you like us to get you some on the way back?” I asked her, “It’s the least I can do after you’ve kept an eye on everything for me.”

Sarah smiled, knowing full well her little ploy had paid off.

“Oh, would you?” She replied, “You know, that would be lovely. Only if you’re going yourself though; don’t make a special journey just for me.”

“Don’t worry; we won’t.” I assured as I winked at my best friend.

******

Heath and I hardly spoke on our (almost) three and a half mile walk even though we had plenty to say when we went to two of my favourite pubs of all time; The Black Feather and The Cobbler’s Inn. It would have been nice to stay in either of the pubs for the rest of the day but Heath suggested we had Thai take out (how was I going to break it to Sarah?). After getting our food, we went to the local off licence and bought a bottle of Heath’s favourite whiskey, Macallen and a couple of bottles of McGuigans Black Label Red. Now, I couldn’t have a night in without renting out a film or two so our next stop was Mike’s Films, a small indie shop not far from my own.

“Hey kids. What can I do you for?” Mike welcomed us as we walked in. Mike always makes me smile; since I’ve lived in Invention, he’s never failed to refer to me as a ‘kid’ regardless of my age.

“Hi Mike,” I replied with a smile, “um, not quite sure really; we haven’t discussed our genre of your choice yet.”

Mike laughed and rolled his eyes.

“Well, Leia; I know how much you love your horror films, so how about a horror fest?” Mike asked, his voice reducing in volume as he trudged down the stairs to his basement-come-private stockroom. After a couple of minutes, he bound back up the stairs; he wasn’t even out of breath – his fitness defied his age. “We’ve had a couple of new titles in and you know I always appreciate your critique before I put them on the shelves for general release.”

Mike handed me two DVD’s, still in their plastic wrapping, completely untouched by anyone but the three of us. I balked a little at the somewhat cheesy titles; ‘Death To Earth: Zombie Apocalypse’ and ‘Bloodbath’. I didn’t particularly relish the sound of either; when I watch a horror film, it really has to be a good one – one that really burrows into your head and that causes nightmares for a good few nights after.

“Um, thanks Mike,” I said, wincing comically at the thought of even watching them but also feeling a little guilty; I could have just taken them as a thank you for his effort, “but they’re really not what we’re looking for but really, thank you for your trouble.”

“Hey, it’s really no problem, Leia,” Mike said with a wide, welcoming smile, “I’ll leave you to look around; knock yourself out.”

“Cheers Mike.” I replied before dragging Heath by the hand towards the ‘Horror’ aisle. Mike may not completely know me, film wise, but he planted a good seed.

Heath and I separated; browsing the shelves in silence. Heath hovered around the same area for a while before picking up a DVD and showing it to me; a questioning look on his face.

“Oooh, The Shining,” I replied to his silent question, “yup, that’ll do nicely; although you do realise I’ll probably watch the entire film through the cracks between my fingers?”

Heath laughed; a small, seriously sexy laugh. He threw the DVD in the air, snatching it mid way; he was getting it. I think he wanted me curled up against him; finding solace from fear in his arms. It was my turn now. I picked up my choice and showed it to Heath.

“Psycho?” Heath asked, surprised, “A Hitchcock fan huh? You really do have very good taste!” Heath sidled up to me so as he was directly behind me. He wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me into him. He put his lips to my ear; his soft, slightly rapid breathing sent a shiver right through me. I felt Goosebumps erupt.

“Seems like you apply your impeccable taste to your men too.” He whispered seductively. I could have replied honestly that my taste hasn’t always been great; my last ‘man’ wasn’t exactly a saint but this moment was too damn good to ruin. I could feel Heath was turned on and I was feeling just a little flushed.

“I think we need to get these and go,” I whispered breathlessly; aware we really needed to get back to avoid any unnecessary embarrassment, “don’t you?”

“Hell yeah!” Heath replied, spanking my backside playfully, causing me to let out a little moan of delight. I couldn’t quite imagine how red my cheeks were.

Just as we were about to make our move to the counter, the door bell signalled another customer entering the shop. I glanced at the door and immediately felt sick; it was Ivan.

“Get down!” I whispered sharply to Heath as I pulled him to the floor.

“Hi. Welcome to Mike’s,” Mike said his tone formal, “Can I help you?”

“Nope; just going to take a look around if that’s cool?” Ivan replied.

“Oh shit!” Heath whispered, “What are we going to do?” He asked, looking genuinely scared.

I looked at Heath in complete, dumbfounded shock. What kind of a question was that?

“I – I, um, I don’t know,” I whispered back, “let’s just lay low and stay silent, at least for now; at least until I think of something.”

I crawled, on hands and knees, to the end of the aisle closest to Mike’s counter. I managed to attract his attention just as Ivan turned into the second aisle in the shop. Mike looked at me as if I had gone crazy. I shook my head and hands in a gesture that suggested “NO!” and then bought my finger to my lips before letting out a barely audible, “Ssshhh.” Mike shook his head, confused but then suddenly, the penny must have dropped; he realised that we didn’t want to be seen by his most recent customer. Mike looked at me and winked, confirming his understanding.

Heath and I stayed low, trying to steady our breathing and racing heartbeats; to me it sounded like both these most natural of actions were echoing around the room.

“I’m going to be closing in a couple of minutes, son,” Mike called from his counter, “do you need any help choosing?”

“No, you’re okay,” Ivan replied, “just looking, thanks.”

“Okay son,” Mike said, “just be a bit quick about it huh? I’m looking forward to my tea tonight.”

“Jeez!” Ivan shot back, “Okay, cool it mister. Hey, actually; maybe you can help. I’m looking for a horror film for me and my girlfriend; she loves being scared out of her wits. You know Leia, don’t you?”

Mike’s face showed no emotion; he remained stoic. How he kept his composure at that point, I don’t know. I know I couldn’t have reacted the same way.

“Can’t say the name rings a bell, son, no,” Mike replied, “but if it’s a good horror you’re after, I’ve just got a couple of brand new titles in if you want to have a quick look?”

“Erm thanks but no thanks,” Ivan replied, “she’s into her classic horror’s to be honest. Can you point me in the direction of the horrors?”

“You may not have heard me correctly,” Mike replied, this time a sharpness tainting his otherwise jolly voice, “but I’m due to close any time now. I’m sorry, but it’s too late to sell, let alone show you anything; not now.”

I was peeping out from behind our aisle, determining whether we should move or stay put. Mike handed Ivan a flyer.

“Here’s a list of our opening times and services,” Mike declared simply, “feel free to come back any time so long as we’re open, of course.”

Ivan snatched the paper from Mike’s hand.

“Yeah, whatever!” Ivan spat before he turned quickly and left the shop.

******

“He’s gone, you’re okay!” Mike called out.

We sneaked out from our hiding place, looking all around us just to be sure.

“Is everything okay?” Mike asked, looking seriously concerned but at the same time, foolish, “Duh, stupid question!” He said to himself more than us, “Obviously not, right? You wouldn’t have been hiding away in the horror aisle for the last ten minutes if everything was tickety-boo, right?”

“Well, things aren’t great between the three of us,” Heath explained, “but it’s nothing to worry too much about; we just have history with the guy.” Heath looked at me awkwardly.

“You don’t say.” Mike replied, “Must be some ‘history’ when you have to dive almost headfirst on the floor between the aisles of my shop!”

“I know, right?” I agreed, “Thanks for keeping schtum though Mike. We owe you.”

“You owe me nothing, Leia,” Mike said, rubbing my arm gently, “Neither of you do. Just be safe for God’s sake; both of you. He seemed a few sandwiches short to me.”

“You’re not wrong,” I replied, but hey, I promise we’ll be fine.” I leant over the counter and planted a kiss on Mike’s cheek. He blushed; an alarming shade of red flushed to his cheeks. Mike looked at us awkwardly.

“Anyhow, thanks for everything back there, Mike,” Heath said sincerely, “I think we’ll just rent these two and be off.”

“Wonderful,” Mike said as he took the DVD’s from us to scan them through his system, “I tell you what? Have the second one on me. You only need pay for the one.”

“You sure, Mike?” Heath asked, “You’ve already gone above and beyond your position as Film Shop Owner Extraordinaire. If anything, we should be paying you for the extra special service.”

“Don’t be silly. Now, my number’s on the bag,” Mike said as he pushed our films in to the slightly too small bag, “if that creep shows up again, you be sure to let me know. Don’t keep quiet. You have friends here, Leia and um….”

“Heath.” Heath interjected.

“..Heath.” Mike repeated. “If you’re ever in any kind of trouble, you just give me a bell; any time – day or night. We look out for our own around here, Leia; you know that.”

“Yup, I do!” I replied with a smile, “and thank you again.”

This time, Mike came from behind his counter and hugged me hard. I felt like his daughter. He let me go and shook Heath’s hand firmly.

“You look after this one, son!” Mike said, again sounding like my father. “She’s a rare one; you’ll never get another like her.”

“I’m well aware of that.” Heath replied as he looked at me with a loving smile.

******

We were constantly looking over our shoulders on the way back from Mike’s. We walked quickly and Heath held my hand in a vice like grip. Finally, my humble abode-come-shop came into view and we both let out a sigh of relief. Never before had I wanted to be home so badly. When that key turned and we swung the door open, it felt wonderful.

I locked everything back up and made my usual check of the shop and back room. Once I was happy we were secure, Heath and I both headed up the stairs. The clock on the landing said it was twenty minutes past midnight; had we really been out that long?

I pulled off my coat as we neared the top of the stairs and haphazardly threw it over the coat hooks on the landing, not even bothering to hang it properly. Heath followed suit and followed me straight to the bedroom where he witnessed something I had NEVER done before; I kicked my Converse off and left them where they fell, pulled my hoodie up and over my head and threw it into the back of the chair in front of my vanity table. It didn’t take too long for me to realise my recklessness and I quickly gathered up my hoodie, put it on a hanger and hung it in my wardrobe before picking up my shoes and popping them in there too. Heath laughed despite himself.

“What?” I asked.

“You’re so funny sometimes,” Heath replied, giggling now, “You enjoyed the mess, if you can call it that, while it lasted.”

I punched Heath’s arm, possibly a little harder than I’d wanted.

“Hey!” I shot back, “I have to make the most of what little space I have; quit it!”

“Leia,” Heath replied, “I’m just playing with you. I have to admit though; that’s the most rebellious thing I’ve ever seen you do…. and then undo.” Heath laughed lightly and pulled me into an all enveloping embrace.

“Come on now sugar,” Heath breathed into my ear, “let’s go and scare ourselves shitless!”

******

Heath was pottering around in the lounge; I assumed getting things ready for our horror-film-fest.

In the kitchen, I pulled out tumblers for the Macallen that we had bought hours earlier. We had completely forgotten about it after our little ordeal at Mike’s. I found some tacos and poured them into a plastic bowl before going to the fridge to retrieve some homemade salsa and guacamole, which I also put into two smaller bowls. I poured our whiskey and put all the goodies on to a tray.

“Come on, Leia,” Heath called, sounding just a little exasperated, “did you go to Scotland to get the whiskey?”

“Tut tut; all in good time,” I replied, smiling to myself.

The TV screen was paused on the opening credits of ‘The Shining’ and Heath looked comfortable, sitting on a floor cushion whilst reclining back against the settee. He looked across at me in that way only he does. Damn it; why does he always do that?

I placed the tray on the coffee table and sat next to Heath. He immediately pulled me to him and kissed me deeply. I didn’t attempt to pull away; it was too good. He, however, pulled away at pretty much the exact moment I decided against it.

“Jeez, Leia,” Heath said breathlessly, “you see what you do to me? We haven’t even got past the title sequence yet. Hell, we won’t make the end of the film the way we’re going!”

“Um, excuse me!” I shot back, “It’s not me who has trouble with self restraint; I can’t help it if you want me so badly.” I said, winking at him cheekily.

“You see?” Heath added, “There you go again! Will you just stop being so damn awesome?”

“Sorry,” I replied, trying desperately to hold back my ever increasing smile, “I can’t help who I am; it just comes naturally to me. Now, let’s at least watch one film without feeling like we’ve got to rip each other’s clothes off. Do we have a deal?”

“Shit; if we must,” Heath replied, “one film though, okay; and then it’s free for all?”

“You have my word!” I replied, meaning every sexy syllable.

******

‘The Shining’ had finished before we realised we’d drank almost the entire bottle of whiskey. Strangely, I didn’t feel squiffy in the slightest and Heath looked relatively sober too; surprising when you think we had taken in a couple of pubs earlier and drinking a few pints in each.

“You remember the deal?” Heath asked with a twinkle in his eye.

“Of course,” I replied, “you think I’d forget that?”

Heath pulled himself up and out of the temporary crater he had made in the floor cushion. He held out his hand to me; willing me to follow. Instead, I firmly pulled him down on to me; he looked happily surprised. I wrapped my arms around his neck and my legs around his waist; it didn’t take much to enslave him. Once I had him in my clutches, I flipped him over (I knew my judo skills would come in handy for something) and he lay there; a submissive beneath me. I felt powerful; I felt alive. I lowered my face to his; holding his arms behind his head. I kissed him deeply and fully; his moans of pleasure letting me know he was enjoying himself. I pulled away, noting his closed eyes and still pouting mouth. I left him in limbo for a moment and stroked up and down his still clothed chest. I pulled at his t-shirt and he immediately took it as a sign I wanted it off; he began to pull his top up over his head until I smacked his hands playfully – I would do the rest.

I pushed him back down to his previous position and carried on where I left off; brushing my fingers over and up and down his well toned chest. I trailed down to the waistband of his black, boot-cut jeans and teasingly tickled the area before popping his buttons one by one, all the way down. I looked up at his face, noticing how his eyes rolled to the back of his head. “Not yet!” I thought to myself, “Definitely not yet!” I was enjoying watching him squirm; enjoying this uncharacteristic dominance. It was all getting a little too much for Heath.

“Christ, Leia!” Heath said; was he panting? “Don’t do this to me.”

“Do what?” I asked, feigning innocence.

“You know exactly what!” he replied, unable to control the building frustration in his voice.

“I don’t believe I do,” I replied, tantalisingly pulling his jeans down past his waist, “it wouldn’t have anything to do with this, would it?” I said, releasing him.

Heath let out a long, loud moan, unable to stop himself anymore.

******

I can’t remember us heading to the bedroom (had I been drunk?) but that’s where I woke with Heath’s right arm draped over me heavily, making it near impossible for me to move.

It was two thirty six in the morning and I was wide awake. Insomnia strikes me occasionally and generally at the times I least want it to. Anyway, I got up and slid my feet into my ‘Nightmare Before Christmas’ slippers that were always regimentally placed by the side of my bed. I headed to the bathroom and pulled my dressing gown off the back of the door; I slung it around me and tied the belt loosely. I looked back at Heath’s sleeping form and made a conscious effort to be as quiet as I possibly could.

I tiptoed back across my room and through to the kitchen. There was still at least one glass of whiskey left in the bottle but decided that a glass of brandy was in order. I’d always kept the bottle of Remy Martin that Sarah had bought for me last Christmas for occasions such as this; it seemed brandy settled my brain and body. I found out a brandy glass and poured myself a generous amount of the warm, comforting liquid. With glass in hand, I headed through to the lounge. We definitely couldn’t have been drunk, or at least, I couldn’t have been; the room was cleared of last night’s whiskey-taco-film fest.

I couldn’t sit in total quiet. I had an incredibly over active imagination and I could always find something sinister in silence. With this in mind, I flicked through my music DVD collection (which was in strict alphabetical order, may I add) until I came to my all time favourite and certainly overplayed disc, ‘Life On The Murder Scene’ by My Chemical Romance. The night’s Sarah and I had watched this were way too many to count; hell we had pretty much memorised every word spoken in it; every note sung. It was exactly what I needed right then and there; my favourite band and brandy – bliss.

I was so caught up in the DVD that I didn’t notice my mobile phone flashing on the window sill the first time it rang. I didn’t notice it the second time either but I noticed it the third time though as I rushed to answer it, almost spilling my brandy all over myself in the process. I answered without thinking even though I didn’t recognise the number.

“Um, hello.” I eked out.

“Hi there. Can I speak to Leia Arnold?” the stern yet soft voice asked.

“You can, yes,” I replied slowly, “You’re speaking to her. Can I help you?” What I really wanted to say was, “who are you and what the fuck do you want at this time in the morning?” but I had this strong almost sickly feeling that this was quite a serious phone call.

“We’re very sorry to have to call you at such an ungodly hour,” the man’s voice replied, “but yes, we believe you can.”

“We?” I asked, “Who’s we?”

“Oh, please excuse me,” the man replied, “I suppose I should introduce myself huh? I’m Detective Superintendant Henry Atkins at Invention Police Station.”

OH MY GOD! I thought to myself; this sounds bad! It had to be; Police don’t phone for nothing, especially not so early.

“Oh, hi,” I answered shakily, “why are you calling me?”

“Miss Arnold,” DS Henry Atkins said, “We found Mr Lander – Mike – dead at midnight.”
♠ ♠ ♠
See, I told you I'd try and be more of a frequent poster of updates. Well, here's the next chapter and I sincerely hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. This is a major turning point in the story and is key in it's development. I've sat and listened to 72 My Chemical Romance songs whilst typing this up. In fact, their music is my muse; it's helped such a lot whilst I've been writing this. I thank all the guys in the band for helping my creative juices to flow fast and freely and of course, I thank all my readers and subscribers, especially you BRADDINGTON. You've been my constant encouragement to carry on with this; I thank you from the bottom of my heart!