Status: This is the brand new story I'm working on. Hope you enjoy!

Good for Nothing

Chapter 13

Heath and I spent nigh on five hours at the station before we were eventually informed that our stories corroborated one another’s and Atkins, Simpson and Rollins were all happy enough to let us go. Finally, it was over, but that didn’t stop my thoughts from turning to Ivan.

“Henry?” I asked Atkins, the cogs in my brain working over time, “What if we suspect Ivan?”

“Well,” Atkins replied, “that would really depend on a number of factors; evidence, eye witness reports, etcetera.”

There went our plan; we’d got nothing. Heath butted in.

“You see Atkins, Ivan was the last person in the shop. Yes, we may be the only ones on the CCTV footage but I can assure you; we weren’t the only ones there!”

“Heath, I do believe you,” Atkins assured Heath, “but we do need something; anything you can think of that would help.”

“Yes, I know,” Heath replied, knowing he’d lost the battle, “you only have our word and I swear to God, it’s the truth!”

“Okay,” Atkins said, drawing the word out. He was thinking on his feet. “Putting lack of evidence aside, would you sit in the dock and swear an oath, that this is the truth?”

Heath looked straight at me and we both nodded our heads fervently.

“Without a doubt.” Heath replied eagerly.

“Well, then; that’s a completely different kettle of fish,” said Atkins, “It’s then a case of one word against an others. So, this Ivan Seabold; what’s the deal?”

“Well, I already told you about the abuse.” I interjected.

“Yes, you did Leia and it is truly awful. We can use that information against his character,” Atkins replied, “Actually; his name does ring a bell. I’m sure he’s been pulled in a number of times for petty crimes in Invention and he’s widely known for his attempted robbery and attack on a member of the public in a post office in Poplar.”

“That’s him,” Heath interrupted, “I’m disgusted to say that I was an accomplice to the latter. You’ve probably got me on file.”

“Oh, I see,” Atkins replied, tapping Heath’s name into the database and nodding his head in deep thought when what must have been Heath’s file popped up on screen. “Well, Heath, if what I’m reading on here is correct; it would seem that your slate is clean. You’ve really nothing feel guilty about now. You’ve served your time and by all accounts, excellently too.”

“That may be true, Henry but I will never forget that day and I’ll always feel guilt.”

“And that’s what makes you a decent human being, Heath.” Atkins said, smiling almost affectionately at Heath, “Mr Seabold seems to be a tyrant and a bully by all accounts.”

Heath smiled at me awkwardly and stroked my arms.

“You’re not wrong there Henry.” I said.

“Look,” said Atkins, “we’ll call him in for questioning. He’s only just out of our catchment area and I mean, just! I’m sure we can take this one on especially seeing as Poplar seems to have let him slips through the net somewhat. Let’s see what strings I can pull but I’m afraid I can’t promise anything though.”

We both thanked Atkins; Heath shook his hand in a manly gesture. I pulled him into a big hug. Heath hadn’t quite finished.

“Just out of interest,” Heath asked Atkins, “do you think it may have been Ivan that made that call?”

“Maybe; we can’t be sure yet.” Atkins answered as he pulled out his note pad to recite a telephone number he had written down. I dropped to the floor like a sack of potatoes as I plunged into a deep sense of shock and realisation.

“Oh my God, Heath,” I screamed, “That’s my home number!”

******

“Excuse me?” Atkins asked, looking perplexed and almost as shocked as me.

“That’s my landline!” I confirmed, “How the hell?”

“We were home all night, Leia,” Heath said, “how could it be?”

“Henry, you said you received the call at eleven thirty last night; correct?” I asked Atkins, “Heath, we weren’t home then. We hadn’t even got to Mike’s!”

“Which obviously means that someone was in your home and left before you came back,” Atkins deduced, “and I’m assuming you think it was Ivan?”

“You assume right,” I snapped at Atkins, immediately feeling sorry for my outburst. “Hey, Henry; I’m sorry. I’m just a bit shook up.”

“Leia, please, there is really no need to apologise. I can appreciate why you’re upset.”

Just the thought of Ivan being in my home, the one place I found solace and sanctuary, sickened me. He’d been there; would it ever feel the same again? I was so angry at myself. I mean, for Christ’s sake; I’d checked all round and switched everything off. I’d tidied away and locked up. Surely I would have noticed something amiss?

“He’s got to have had a key,” I blurted out, “there was absolutely no sign of forced entry; everything seemed fine. How else could he have got in?”

“There are plenty of ways employed by robbers and burglars to illegally enter premises, Leia; picking locks being the main choice.”

“Wouldn’t I know if someone had picked the locks?” I asked

“Well, not necessarily, Leia and actually, in a lot of cases it can be completely overlooked by the victim. Did the lock on your front door seem any different, even in the slightest way?” Atkins asked, “Did you have to work the lock more than you would usually need to?”

“No,” I replied, “but then I didn’t really pay that much attention if I’m honest.”

“Okay, then I really don’t know what to suggest, Leia. Maybe he’s just a master lock-picker?” Atkins said, “Right, I’m going to take you both back home in the squad car and I’ll have four of my officers carrying out twenty-four-seven surveillance on your property until we have arranged a locksmith to come and change every lock on the premises.”

I instantly felt more at ease. I obviously wasn’t happy about the situation but I was relieved we were being helped out in such a way.

“Really?” I asked Atkins, “You would do that, for us?” I noticed Heath looking at me out of the corner of my eye, silently picking up on the “us” part of that sentence.

“Certainly, Leia,” Atkins replied, “When someone breaks in to your home, it’s not just an attack on bricks and mortar, it’s an attack on you. I know that feeling well enough. It causes severe stress, fear and in some cases, depression to the victim. In a couple of days, your fortress will be impenetrable, so to speak. I promise we’ll get this sorted for you both. In the meantime, is there anywhere else you’d like to stay or would you prefer to go home, safe in the knowledge that you will be monitored?”

“I’m cool with that,” I replied, “how about you, Heath?”

Heath just looked a little bewildered but very happy.

“I just love how you’re both referring to the place as my home too! So, Leia - when do I get to move all my stuff in?”

DS Henry Atkins smiled as Heath and I laughed and shared a look that was maybe a little too intimate for public viewing. An unspoken agreement was made there and then. Atkins awkwardly signalled, with a feeble sounding cough, that he was very much still there.

“Right then,” said Atkins, severing the trance between Heath and me, “let’s get you in the car and back home.”

“You know, Atkins,” I replied, “that’s an excellent idea.”

******

At nine thirty, we were dropped at my door and I thought I’d feel scared and violated but I didn’t and that was mainly due to the fact that there was an unmarked police car parked outside. Atkins walked us to the door.

“You know I’m only a phone call away,” he assured us, “and remember, my officers will be surveying your home around the clock. I promise nothing will happen whilst we’re watching.”

I hugged Atkins for the second time that morning.

“Thank you so much, Henry,” I said sincerely, “considering we came to the station convinced we were being accused of something we could never even have contemplated and then being scared out of my wits, I actually feel pretty calm and safe. That’s all down to you and the stops you’ve pulled out for us. I don’t think I could ever thank you enough.”

“She’s right, Atkins,” Heath added, “thank you for everything.”

Atkins smiled a wide and unabashed smile.

“It’s just my job, that’s all.”

“No, it’s not just your job, Henry,” I said, “You’ve gone above and beyond for us. We really are so grateful.”

“Well, thank you,” Atkins said bashfully, “Now, TRY and have a quiet, relaxing Sunday.”

******

Coffee was the first thing on the agenda. We were both exhausted.

“Well,” Heath said, what do we do now?”

“We drink our coffee and see what happens,” I answered, “I’m so tired but I know I won’t sleep.”

“Me too,” agreed Heath.

With coffee brewed an in our mugs, we finally sat down on the settee and did our best to relax. We stared into space, thinking about the events of the last two days.

******

“Shall we go out and do something?” I asked Heath, “I’m getting cabin fever; I need to get out.”

“What about we go for Sunday lunch somewhere?” Heath asked. “We’re both hungry, aren’t we?”

“Too right,” I answered, “and I really don’t fancy cooking. Should we book or shall we just go with the flow?”

“Let’s just see what happens.” Heath replied.

“You do remember what happened the last time we did that? Do we tempt fate?”

“Leia, we’d never go out.” Heath replied and I totally agreed with him.

“Could we just drop in on Sarah though?” I asked, “She’s done so much and you know; I just need to see her.”

“Of course we can; you don’t have to ask me,” Heath replied with a smile, “actually, it would be nice to get to know her a bit better.”

I launched myself at Heath like an over excited school girl and planted a big kiss on his cheek.

******

“Come on,” Heath said as he pulled me away from Sarah’s front door, “She’s not in; you can’t carry on knocking the door all day.”

Heath didn’t know me well enough to truly understand the friendship Sarah and I share. We’ve always been in synch with eachother, scarily so in fact. I felt uneasy.

“No Heath, something’s not right!” I shot back; a feeling of dread washed over me. “She’s in, I know she is. She would have told me if she was out for the day.”

“Maybe she just doesn’t tell you everything.” Heath replied.

“Um, no,” I replied slightly petulantly, “that’s not a sentence that could ever be applied to us. Now, please, be quiet.”

I hammered on the door again before opening the letterbox.

“SARAH!” I shouted as loudly as I could without trying to draw too much attention from the occasional passerby and residents. “I know you’re in there! What are you playing at; just open the damn door!”

I put my ear to the letterbox, straining my ears to try and pick up on any sound, no matter how minute and then I heard a shuffling sound; the sound of big fluffy Sarah slippers moving over the carpeted floor and then her stairs creaked.

“Hang on, will you.” Sarah finally shouted back. I was about to open the letter box to have a peek when the door opened in, almost taking me with it.

Nothing in this world could ever have prepared me for the sight in front of me.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's been a while eh folks? I've know finished this story on paper and have proof read and edited where necessary. I just cannot wait to get it all written up and posted. The next step is self publishing as an ebook and in print. I'm just a tad excited. Thanks for reading guys, especially to my wonderful friend BRADDINGTON who has been a constant inspiration throughout and who gives the most honest feedback.