Quell

Seven

A few hours later, Theo lets out a yell.

"Brenna! The Capitol! Look!"

I stand and slowly join Theo at the window. The bright lights of the Capitol are getting closer with each second, and soon I can see the outlines of buildings. Huge, streamlined buildings. And then people, people who are dressed in ridiculous clothes and have ridiculous hair and don't even look human.

Theo is waving at all these strange people, and they are waving back, and screaming in their absurd accents.

"Theo," I snap.

"What?" he asks innocently.

"They're screaming for your blood," I spit. He shrugs.

"I intend on making the best of it, Bren," he tells me. I roll my eyes.

The train glides smoothly to a halt and Aphrodite Sunburst clacks over to us.

"Are you ready to see the Capitol?" she screeches. I have to resist the urge to cover my ears. Theo stands up and gives me a look that clearly says, come on, Brenna, so I stand too, and follow Aphrodite Sunburst to the door of the train. It opens with a soft hiss and the cheers of the Capitol citizens crash against my ears. I take a deep breath and raise my hand in a halfhearted wave. The crowd is frenzied. They are a mass of colors that are too bright to be real.

Aphrodite ushers us onto a platform and into the Tribute Tower.

"Now, you'll be on the sixth floor, since you're from District Six," she babbles. She totters along on her insanely high heels and Theo and I follow her, our eyes wide. We go into an elevator and it shoots us up, up, up, faster than I imagined it would. Theo is peering around at the elevator, trying to figure out how it works.

The elevator stops and Aphrodite leads us onto our floor.