Accused Criminal

11

Her walk was filled with fearful glances over her hunched shoulders. Lana shoved her shaking hands into her pockets and tried to keep a low profile. There were not many other people bundled up walking outside, but those she passed did not pay much attention. The winter crowd kept their heads down and hurried on their way.

Lana turned down road after road with no direction in mind, only fear driving her further.
The cold was sinking into her bones, and she needed to escape from the snow. With a cautious glance, she looked for familiar landmarks. What she could see through the snow and her blurry vision, Lana was sure that she was near a small shopping center in the vicinity of her home. She had perhaps walked two miles.

Looking both ways, she hopped into the street and then scurried to the sidewalk. Her boot dragged through the snow, her toes numbing and slowing her movements tremendously.

Horseshoe shaped, the shopping center housed five small stores ranging from small clothing boutiques to a two floor bookstore which contained a coffee shop and its own bakery.

Brushing the snowflakes from her shoulders and shaking her leg to remove the white patched as well as help return circulation to the limb, Lana rested under the small porch cover of the corner boutique.
When she felt stable, Lana pulled the door handle and stepped into the warmth. The boutique was quaint, and small, filled with an odd assortment of clothing and jewelry. Almost five months ago Lana had been there with Cameron and they had both found nice blouses and Cameron had fallen in love with a pair of vibrant red heels. Now, Lana though she might look around for another gift for her daughter as she warmed herself.

She was greeted by a stout blonde woman who was dressed in a chic suite and styled in heavy green jewelry. The woman, who introduced herself as Madam Withernworm, commented once on the weather and then turned and waddled to the counter positioned on the left side of the room.
Lana was left to wander, enjoying the warmth and shelter. She browsed the racks of clothing and then walked over to the large shelf which held a range of jewelry.

She jumped whenever another person entered the store, and eventually the ring of the bell drove her from the warmth and into the evening chill. Her heart hammered as cars passed, their lights blinding her. The words she had overheard in the café wrung in her ears. She had until tomorrow, and then someone would come for her.

The house was cold and dark when she entered, but the scent of Chinese food drifting from the kitchen alerted her to the presence of Howard and Cameron.

She could stomach the idea of food. Her death was hanging over her, fear eating away at her fibers.
Under cover of darkness, Lana slipped out of the house. She had to travel on foot and she had to travel light. Her wallet had little cash in it and using credit cards was too much of a risk. While Howard had been drifting into a sleep, Lana’s mind had been racing, planning for this moment. She had gotten dressed in the bathroom, layering herself for protection from the winter. A small bag was now slung over her shoulder, holding her money, the boot she couldn’t wear because of her hospital boot, and a few other items. Lana had considered taking her phone, but it could probably be tracked.
She left through the backdoor, praying she could get out.

Her intent was to head to the train. She would have to walk through most of the night to get there, and once she was there, Lana wasn’t sure where she would go because leaving would place even more police attention on her. Staying, however, was not an option. Guilt at leaving her daughter began to grow in her belly.

Lana slipped through her neighbor’s backyard.

Cameron, she tried to convince herself, would be safe. Howard had no reason to harm their daughter; he loved Cameron. She would be safe with Howard until Lana either found a way to get her or she left for college.

Their neighborhood’s street wove around large houses, and Lana began to worry she wouldn’t get out. With an increasing amount of panic in her system, she began to jog. The movement hurt, but soon she found her way out and stepped onto a snow covered sidewalk beside a long stretch of freshly salted street. She was heading the right direction for the train station.

After about ten minutes of walking, a faint snow began to drift towards the ground, white flakes catching in Lana’s hair and falling over her thick black jacket. Her joints ached from the cold, and she knew it would only grow worse as she remained in the cold.

It was nearly three AM, so Lana was surprised when cars passed her, but the occasion would arrive when a car or two would slink pass and after the third mile she became accustomed to the flow of traffic. As it grew lighter outside, cars began transporting individuals to work, the streets became busier and Lana began to forget about them altogether.

She arrived at the station nearly 6 hours after she had begun her walk. Entering the station, a wave of heat nearly knocked her off of her feet and stung her face and exposed toes. At random, she picked a train and destination. In twenty minutes she could be gone; in twenty minutes she could begin planning a new life. Another pang of guilt hit her as she thought of a life without Cameron.

Pushing that aside, Lana moved to the ticket booth. Her train would take her all the way to Road Island. With fifteen minutes left, Lana bought a coffee and headed to the tracks; it was then that she spotted the man behind her. He kept a few feet between them, taking one step for every three she took, but his eyes never left her. Lana caught his gaze while scanning the room and quickly directed her eyes to the clock. She was imagining this. No one was following her. A woman bumped into her, and Lana stumbled backwards. She was caught by a hand which remained on her upper arm even after she had regained balance.

Slowly, she tilted her head, eyes gliding over a black suit, black tie, cleanly shaved jaw, and landing on two deep set eyes the color of a pale morning sky.

“You’ll want to come with me,” he spoke in a low voice, the corners of his lips pulled into a slight smile.

“No.” She attempted to pull free. “No!” Her struggle brought a puff of laughter from the man and a mirthful light ignited his blue eyes. He didn’t move, attempt to drag her away; only stood there holding her arm. Lana did not have a weapon on her, and the man was by far stronger. She couldn’t give up though. Somehow Lana knew that if she stopped fighting him it would me her certain death.

She brought her hand down in an attempt to break free, and the man’s hold slackened. Within a second, her arm slid free and she took off running into a crowd of people.
The train was approaching; she could hear it in the distance.

Glancing behind her, Lana saw the man pushing through the crowd. Smaller people fell away from him, some stumbled and fell. With her attention on the man, Lana didn’t see the approaching bench which she preceded to collide with. Her legs tangled together as her body tumbled over the metal bench. With a cringe she dropped onto the floor, attempting to catch herself but failing and landing on her side.

A pair of polished black shoes was before her face when Lana recovered.

She had one idea. One move that may get her out of the mess she was in.

Lana’s booted leg swung up and around in a half circle until it collided with a great force against the back of the man’s knees. His body toppled, legs thrown out from under him. As he fell backwards, Lana sprung up and she turned, running through a crowd with renewed vigor.

Around her arose a ruckus, and Lana heard the train screeching on the iron tracks. Someone, or perhaps more than one someone, screamed. Lana kept running.