Accused Criminal

Chapter 13

The key clicked in the slot and Lana gave the backdoor a light push. She stepped inside, a blast of warmth sinking into her cheeks. Gloved fingers curled and uncurled as she attempted to regain circulation. The trek through the snow had exhausted most of Lana’s energy, but there was not time to stop. Attempting to quietly close the door, she cringed as was pulled shut by the wind.

She removed the gloves, bringing her chilled fingers to her mouth and blowing hot breath onto them as she moved into the kitchen. The gloved were tucked into her back pocket and she moved quiet, her body slowly adjusting to the temperature inside the house.

Pulling a knife from the drawer, Lana turned on her heels. She didn’t know what she was walking into, but there was a reason she had returned to the house of her would be murder-husband. There was danger in her return; however, Lana needed to retrieve her daughter. Cameron could be in danger, and Lana would not risk leaving her daughter with a psychopath.

The knife slide from its sheath with a cold hiss and it felt heavy in her hand.

Kitchen lights flickered on and Lana jumped back. Her eyes adjusted slowly, but she managed to make out the form of Howard in the kitchen’s entrance.

“Lana,” he stated, “this was foolish of you.” In his left hand, a small caliber gun rested, fingers tucked around the butt of the gun. She didn’t doubt he knew how to fire that gun.

“I figured it was just some monster who grabbed me, that he was to blame for what happened to me, but no, you’re to blame. You are. I want Cameron,” Lana’s words shook as she tightened the grip on her weapon.

Robust, a laugh broke from Howard and he stepped into the kitchen, positioning himself on the side of the counter across from Lana. When he stopped laughing, the gun was placed on the counter between them and he leaned forward, palms positioned on marble. “You think Cameron would go with you. You’re a murdering freak,” the words foamed from his mouth.

“Dad?” Cameron’s tired voice broke what Lana was sure would have been an interesting and effusive speech.

“Go back to bed, Cameron.”

“Cameron,” they spoke at the same time, “we’re leaving. Come here.”

A cold smile spread on the young girl’s face, a smile to match her father’s. “Kill her. We don’t need her anymore. Her death will propel us into the future, help your career and my life.”

Lana reacted, and lunged across the counter. The knife, clutched in her hand, swept over his left hand, slipping through the tender skin between his fingers with a slick rip and then she brought her arm forward and the knife sunk into a meaty chest. Her feet swung across the counter, following her body, and she dropped into the small space between Howard and counter, throwing her full weight behind the weapon. Embedded to the hilt, the iron steak knife had limited movement, but she jerked it up and twisted until her hand cramped, praying the serrated edge would puncture and severely damage his internal organs. Through the hilt, Lana felt the pulse of blood as it throbbed and then hot liquid spilled over her fingers. A gasp huffed out of his mouth, hot breath blowing into her face and a look of shock clouded his eyes.

Yanking the knife free, she slipped under his left arm which still held his form up and swiftly wrapped her arm around Cameron’s waist. She prayed the knife wound would kill him, but she didn’t have time to consider him. If Howard didn’t die from the stab wound then it would at least slow him.

The girl struggled, kicking and lashing out until a strike to Lana’s throat caused her to stumble and release Cameron. They hadn’t moved far with Cameron throwing herself into the kitchen and Lana attempting to pull her out.

Howard’s body had crumbled on the floor; a hand covered the open wound as blood oozed out, seeping into his black shirt and covering his hand. The body rested behind them, a block between the counter and the two women.

Cameron dodged her mother’s next attempt to grab her and headed to the counter, dodging the crumpled form and the puddle of blood. Despite the obvious betrayal from her daughter, Lana’s mind clung to the desperation that she could save them both from Howard.

Spinning on her heels, Lana lunged forward, momentum sending her toppling forward. Lana’s foot caught on Howard’s arm and she stumbled, reaching out for Cameron. Her arms caught Cameron’s upper jean clad thighs and they both fell to the hard floor. Cameron began wiggling forward a moment after they collided, blood on her father’s blood on her arm causing her to slip.

Lana’s breath was pushed out of her during the fall, and she lie on the floor, knife still clutched in her hand.

Tears filled her eyes as pain swept over her body and she felt a thin trickle of blood cross her cheek.

Her next set of movements were swift and her motions blurred as tears streamed down from her eyes. Her thoughts scattered. Her concern for her lovely daughter broke.

Cameron slipped to the ground, Lana’s arms falling away from her daughter and releasing the grip on the steak knife. The blunt black handle of the knife protruded from the slender neck of the girl. Brown hair crossed her face and looped around the weapon, blood coating the tangled strands. Dark hazel eyes stared at Lana, unblinking. Her mouth had parted to suck down air and the lips remained parted, a stream of liquid pouring over the smooth lips and collecting at the corners of her mouth.

In a flurry of movements, Lana raced to the front door. The keys to Howard’s car were in her hand and she was out the door leading to the garage in a moment. The car was positioned in the middle of the garage. Her hands shook as she fiddled with the key. He did not have a clicker, so with shaking hands, Lana attempted to insert the small silver key. As the door popped open, Howard slumped through the garage door, blood soaked hands catching the door frame and a crimson snarl on his lips.

“Lana,” he choked out her name, or what she thought was her name. The sound was too gargled to really tell.

She threw herself behind the wheel and locked the door before jamming the key in the ignition. Howard’s car rumbled to life as he stepped into the garage, reaching for her as though he could grab her through the thick window.

The garage door was closed, and Howard kept his automatic opener in the glove compartment. With her eyes glued to her moving husband, Lana reached across the car and opened the compartment.
Howard’s movements were sluggish and with each step blood gushed out of his center wound.

The glove compartment was filled with papers, a pair of sunglasses. A small blue box toppled out and onto the car floor.

He reached the hood of the car, placing red hands on the warming top and Lana began to scream. Her search became frantic and soon the contents all fell to the ground. It was not there. With a panic she gripped the wheel. Howard was creeping around the car, heading for the driver’s side door.

The car flew back as she swung the gears into reverse and slammed on the gas pedal. Their garage door snapped against the force of the car and Lana slammed on the breaks before she drove into the street. Her body jerked forward and tensed, knuckles white as they held the wheel. There was a pounding in her ears as blood and anger flushed through her.

With a quick motion, the car was in drive and she flew forward. Howard tumbled over the hood and rolled into the windshield, but that wasn’t enough. Even as she saw he head crack open, glass embedded in the skull, she forcing the car into reverse. His limp form was slung from the hood and tumbled into the snowy drive way. One more swing of her hand and the car launched forward once more. A slight bump-bump and the car was in the garage once more, a shattered window and blood tinted hood staring at Lana.

A shaking breath emptied from her lungs and she allowed her hands to slide into her lap. She didn’t have much time. The police would be on their way, and she was already a wanted woman. Shifting the car once more into reverse, Lana pulled into the drive way, waiting for the front tiers to hit the lifeless lump, and when they were over him, she put the car in park and shut off the engine. Removing the keys, she slid out of the car and moved into the night.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am a terrible person. Sorry it took so long to update. I've been completely stuck on this story and ended up starting a few others. Thanks to all the readers, subscribers and recommendations! Comments on your thoughts?